TDI Cylinder Heads

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
absolutely! I forgot that part. I sourced EVERYTHING I needed for a head swap and timing belt change ALL through Frank. Everything all in one box makes it incredibly easy to shop. Plus, Franks prices are more than competitive.

TDi RAY

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf '00 Nogaro Blue.
I just have to say that it was a pleasure working with frank over the last week getting my TDI back up and running all the parts he send were in perfect shape. Don't think my motor has ever run so smooth as it does now after the Head destruction rebuild. I'll try and get some pics up of the parts when I get back home to Tenn. on weds. or thurs. Can't wait to see what my head looks like after he does his magic on it when he gets it.

Thanks for everything again frank and I'll be talking to you soon.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Ray,

You've been good to work with. I hope we get to meet up some time. If you get a chance, make the Poplar Bluff GTG. It's this weekend!

Frank

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
...thought I'd throw this out there that 2500 miles later and Franks head is going great. zero issues since the engine was built up.

Thanks again for making it affordable to keep these TDIs on the road.

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Dittos to Frank, I have a customer that I had Frank inspect and rework a AHU head and injectors, car is running great after 2500 + miles. Customer claims the car is quieter than they can remember. It has been great working with Frank, no problems. Great source of parts if needed.

Thanks, Ed.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
I have had motorcycle heads done with a cnc mill which is more accurate than the old style methods of seat cutting. I noticed that the shop still lapped the valves. I asked why and was told that 99% just isn't good enough. Whenever I do head assembly I lap them. I have yet to have one comeback or run poorly. The only time I will not lap valves is when using Titanium. I make sure they are clean afterward as well. Judging by what I have seen frank is meticulous with his work and doesn't like comebacks or complaints.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Thanks Hevster...

Actually, I have had a few complaints, I had one bolt hole for the timing belt shield that was damaged... let's see... I'm trying to think... oh, I had another person complained when I didn't bag the head and used peanuts... no more peanuts... I invite constructive criticism, but I try to give no reason for it.

I recently was doing a valve job with grandson looking on. He's quite the future machinist...

One valve wouldn't lap in right. It turns out, even with the valve head having been refaced and trued, the stem was bent further up near the guide than where the valve grinding jaws meet the stem. When I chucked the valve up in the lathe, the runout was 20mm. That valve made "two points' as it rattled home into the trash can.

If I hadn't done the lapping, that is one that I might have missed.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
Anything available for a PD (BEW)?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=201696

Frank, what can you come up with for me? Looking for options to replacing cam and followers on my 2004 PD (BEW). Valves and all other head components are in good condition as far as I know. If a complete replacement is possible, I can send you mine for a core refund. Would that work?

wow

TDI
MK4 anniversary golf
Hi

what cam do you recomend for a 2003 tdi 150 pd as the standard one does not last very long.

thanks

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
Frank is on vacation right now, he should be back on the 27th. He might get online while he's gone but I doubt it.;) If you send him a PM he'll get back with you when he returns.

Later--B

kokodog

TDI
Early '99 Jetta (A3) 2000 (A4) Jetta TDI
vwjettadsl said:
Frank is on vacation right now, he should be back on the 27th. He might get online while he's gone but I doubt it.;) If you send him a PM he'll get back with you when he returns.

Later--B
figures, yesterday on the way to work I had a injector hold down bolt snap clean off (at interstate speed) bounced the injector all over the place, no way that it will seal in its present condition, ........ so I need a head and injector :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Hi guys,

I was on vacation... it was great and I really needed the break... back to work. I did answer a very few questions over the week, but when you are on dialup WIFI, it is TEDIOUS!

I have been looking into some ideas for the BEW cranks. I've not got that process nearly done. For those who need to get ahold of me, I'll be available later this afternoon. 417-232-4634.

azerite

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Wagon, 2005 jetta
Hey, i forgot to post a heads up, Frank did my head and it came out great. Engine runs better then ever. 116k so far. Dealership completely screwed up my car, Frank and Jason fixed it up good as new.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
What about exh valve that are a bit bigger..

To bad you're located in the states, I have lying 3 heads around, only damage are the lifter bores.. were euro-spec AFN engines (same as AHU)

I'm looking for valves and seats that allow some more flow, maybe 1mm bigger valve, what are the options?

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I've got an access to a company that will make the Inconel valves. Name your poison... but the minimum order is not 4 or 8. I'd have to put together a quantity order in order to get pricing that wouldn't knock your eyes out.

I have seen 2mm increase as an option. That would iincrease seat area by about 12%, whcih would make substantial gains. Along with the valves, of course, seats would have to be located to match. The seat cut would put the O.D. of the seat at very close proximity to the injector hole, but could be managable.

If I could accept the overseas transport, I'd fix those heads, Rub87.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Shall see in 3 weeks when I get home what there's lying around.. It would be nice if the bigger seats where made right from the first time, I mean, that the original seat bore in the head only has to be widened, and not more deeped becuase thats pretty delicate to get the dept correct..

Would a longer valve guide be necessary or not?

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
Frank,
I sent you a PM. Any progress on BEW cam and lifters packages? We sure could use a 'how to' post about this. I'd love to put it together if someone could get me the parts for a reasonable price.

Or perhaps even a complete head, and I can send you mine for a core refund??? :)

vanquishtech

Veteran Member
TDI
97 passat (totaled) 01 Jetta TDI Sold 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 24 Valve Cummins Diesel avg 19.6 mpg
just installed a "Frank Head" on a ALH...he's an artist...I am impressed, as was my VW guy. Thanks Frank, keep up the great work, a whole community of people are counting on you! (not much pressure, I know!)

Ray

Paul7878

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
Just figured I'd revive an older thread. I can't say enough about frank's work. I had the bottom timing gear come loose and slip, bending three valves. I had my head done by frank and so far I've had it on for over 40,000 miles, still working perfect!! Thanks again Frank!

rubbersidedown

TDI
2001 bug 5sp
Hi frank 1.9 ALH head

Ok when I get the bugger off perhaps next weekend. I need a full head service wont know extent of damage til then so no use prognosticating what if's eh? Sounds like typical exchange is about 550 ish. This one the timing belt broke and the owner did not try to restart so hopeful it does not have rod issues... READ (pray):D What is typical turn around and how do I it ship it out too ya in MO? Will need the timing belt kit w water pump too. thanks

Jeff D

BeeselDietle

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Frank,
I finally got the cylinder head installed on the busted beetle that I bought. I re-timed everything, bled the IP, bled the lines, then guess what happened. It ran, not only that it ran very well. To everyone else I bought this car a little while back with a fubared head, valve to piston contact, smashed lifters, wiped cam, etc. 'Ol Frank here fixed me up with some new parts and rebuilt my head. Top Notch work from a Top Notch man. :cool:

tperretta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI and 2011 Sportwagen TDI
Bump for a good guy doing good work.

Tried to help me out but I ended up lucking out on a local replacement w/no downtime involved.

Very helpful, I wouldn't hesitate to do business with this guy!

subsonic44

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI 6-spd. Loyal
Frank, I had seen one of your posts about oversize valves. I had also been reading on other forums about people using larger valves on the 1.9 AAZ head. How much larger do you think you can go over oem for valves on the 1.9TD AAZ (idi) and or the 1.6TD (also idi)?

Steve C

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Do you see many heads with crack between intake seat and injector hole on ALH's? My head has cracks in all 4. I cant believe it.You can see that the crack is down the injector hole, about 3/4 the depth of valve seat.Barely visible.Sorry no pics.Is this much of a concern on these heads? I heard on some heads, tiny crack between valve seats is permissable as long as it is not wide and go below valve seats.Just a bit of wishful thinking.It wouldn't be nice having the seat fall out.And to think I had a good rebuilder!

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Before you blame your machinist, I'd consider what you may have done to the head yourself.

I've posted about how to properly install injectors so that you don't over-tighten the hold downs in order to keep the seal from leaking. The hold downs only require 15 ft lbs when the copper crush washers are properly seated.

The cracking I have seen is from people tightening the hold down until leaking stops. Some just think that the pressures are so high, they need to really cram the hold downs on real tight. When that is done, the injector breaks the head by the force of the nozzle being driven through the head. It is not from installing seats. The crush fit of the seats, if done properly will not crack any head.