Getting to the Back of the Front Tow Hook Hole. (New Beetle)

lind0834@umn.edu

So I recently bought a 2000 New Beetle TDI.
The previous owners (both of them) didn't have front license plates. Since I'm still young I don't want the cops to have any more reason to want to pull me over so I bought a PlateMate. I spent a bunch of time painting it and getting it to look right. However, as soon as I got to the install I noticed that it wasn't quite all that easy.
So used some ingenuity to get everything to stay in place without actually having to take any of the bumper or anything apart. The PlateMate is basically is a big metal screw that holds a big metal washer on the other side of the metal tow hook and a big fiberglass license plate holder on the other side.
But my plans were flawed, and now I don't have good access to the back of the Tow Hook Hole, but my PlateMate is kind of tightly attached, just not as tight as I would like. Is there an easy way to get behind the Tow Hook Hole? It seems like if I was able to remove the air intake looking thing in front of the passenger side wheel I could get to it easily. Is it easy to remove? What's it called?

Update: I was able to remove the PlateMate.. Took a little horn swaggling, but it wasn't awful.. Any ideas how to get it back on?

Update 2: Just so everyone knows they wouldn't just be helping out someone who will never give back to the community, I have already purchased 2 of the TDIClub.com license plate frames.

Thanks
-Jim Lind

Last edited: