Wits end!

Waterbug

TDI
NB, 2001, cyber green
I hope this is the place to post a "HELP" cry.......I live in SW lower Michigan, have a 01 NB TDI. I have done just about everything I can think of, including suggestions that I have picked up reading the forums. Problems of very hard COLD starts, and dropping fuel mileage! WARM starts are perfect, two revs and she's running, but cold starts, even as high as 65 degrees w/engine being off for at least 12 hours, are long >6 seconds. Gets much worse as temps go down, to the point where I have to keep a charger on the batt 24/7 to insure I w/have enough energy to fire it when temps are much below 20 degrees (F)! I am on my 3rd battery, an Optima Yellow Top as of this writing, only 6 months old! NO improvement from OEM battery. I own a VAG-COM, and have experimented w/just about all settings I can do! NOTHING has helped one bit! I need some real sharp guru to check this thing out! If anyone is game for this, please email me @ Tecbuf627@aol.com Thank You! :confused:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
You clearly are having an issue that needs to be rectified. Who has been "servicing" this car? Do you know how many miles are on it?

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Really like your name!:D
Yep, frustrating when these perfect cars ain't so perfect :mad:

OK, if you want an expert to look at it...run it over to Fowlerville and see Marty (JETaah) on the forums. (If I can figure out how to send a pm to ya I'll send you his contact info)

Butt:rolleyes: since you sound like a talented person, (You bought a TDI beetle!) there are only 3 things that will keep a diesel from starting.
1. Its got to be turning over fast enuff...check for excessive drain when car is off. I've had 2 cars with diode packs go bad in the alternator...drains the battery in a day.
2. Its got to have fuel...you could have a leak in your thermostatic T allowing fuel to drain back so your pump is starved...easy fix but hard to find as the Beetle doesn't have a clear section of fuel hose for instant check. When was fuel filter changed last?
3. You need compression...this could be the bad one as really expensive to fix but hopefully not likely!
Let us know what you find :confused:

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Lew, if you are still having problems with the new PM system...

In the upper right, under where it will say Welcome lrpavlo there is a link which says private messages.Opening that, in the control pannell on the left, you'll see the private messages section, and one of the links is Send New Message. You'll really dig the screen name completion!

Also, in the Edit Options section, in the Messaging section, there is a check box to recieve a popup when you get a new message. Also, there is the recieve email from other's box. I can't remember if you had your email in your profile before the software update, but if you want it viewable on your profile, check that box.

Waterbug, is your vag com a full version? If it is, I would reccomend you check the timeing: With the engine fully warmed up, open the engine computer and go to measureing blocks. view group 000. click the basic settings button, then the TDI timeing button. Pick the selection in the drop down box that contains ALH < 4.99. Click the cloud check box. let it run for a bit. Then hold the alt key down and press print screen. Open up paintbrush, paste the image in, save it as a .jpg, and upload it to the pics server here. You'll end up with something like this:

-Jason

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
So Waterbug, did physically setting the timing do anything for the cold start problem?

BLUBYU

Veteran Member
fuel temp sensor. Everyone has missed that key part and i know it has something to do with it since you said milage is going down as well. It might not completely fix your cold start but im sure it will help a ton along with the milage

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Another thing not mentioned yet is the cold start valve on the bottom of the injection pump...

You can check that value on the Vag Com. I don't remember what field that value is in, but if you scroll through and look. The normal values are listed there too.