ACTUAL purchases of '15 USED (buyback) TDIs

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I'm driving all over the state tomorrow to pick up a SW SEL for $17 OTD and then helping my friend finalize a Golf SE for $13K OTD. They are both around 60K miles. The service records keep dropping off at 40K and then picking back up at 60K so that's strange and I don't know if any of the ones I've looked at have had their DSGs serviced. Probably do both upon receipt just to be sure unless someone knows whether VW or the dealerships are doing these services if they aren't on record. Little pissed one dealer is gouging for about $500 bucks but that's where it's at with those prices there isn't much wiggle room.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
When I bought my 2015 golf se TDI, I saw all the service records and there was NO record of the DSG being serviced. SO what I did was tell the salesman and the manager, I will take the car ONLY if you perform this service at no cost to me. I had it done last week and all is good. It only came with one key fob and they are selling me a new replacement at dealer cost complete with programming. The car came with the carpeted mats, so I am wondering

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Long day...but I'm back with my black on black SEL Sportwagen! I will say, I have been going back and forth over what kind of car to replace my 2012 with this past year but after nailing this one down (got it down to $15,100 [$16.770 out the door] after haggling down an extra $170 over it missing the spare key even though the dealer tag showed "has spare key," and a $250 travel discount, with a fill up of diesel, and then they wouldn't budge) during the 3 hours back home I realized I was smiling wider and wider and how much I missed my old ride.

I think I did alright. If I get anything back for phase 2 it's just going to be silly.

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Thanks. I would like to purchase in state, but haven't had any luck with the two colors I want, and it being a premium. I may just have to settle for a regular TDI SE. I have found 1 or two I liked, but they want a crazy amount of money for it. I still need to do the buyback for our 2010 Jetta TDI, but if I could find something I would start the process ASAP. I'll be using most of that money for the new VW Passat.

It seems like its a big hassle to purchase out of state, but the only ones I found I liked are out of state. I'm going to keep looking and hope I get lucky. I'm not good with purchasing cars and don't understand out of state purchases, so it has me rethinking it the more and more info I get. :(
You cannot wait for your car to come to you. These cars are too rare and you will have to go to it. I too thought about selling my car first before buying a replacement. I discourage that process. Your new car will slip by as the VW buy-back process can take up to 2 months from the first initial registration and starting a claim to getting your buy-back date and payment. It's a straightforward process, but not a fast process.

My story: Saw the car I wanted Thursday eve. I'm in IL, the car is in Findlay OH. I called the dealer Friday afternoon and negotiated the deal. I had to work the weekend so I hired a driver to take wifey & I to O'hare airport on Monday. The dealer had a driver waiting for us at the Toledo airport and drove us to Findlay. We arrived at the dealership around 6pm, drove the car out by 7:30pm. I did NOT pay any sales tax at the time of sale. I will do that later when I register my car in IL.

The dealership put an OH temp plate on the car so we could drive home. I already had temp insurance cards with the car's VIN printed up from my insurance agent. Once I was back in IL I had to wait until I received the OH title to register the car and get an IL title (about 2 weeks wait time). As I financed some of the car through VW Credit, obviously the title has a lien on it. So when I went to the IL DMV WITH the OH title and sales receipt, I paid the IL sales tax, registered the car, got my IL plates, and the the IL title goes to VW credit as in IL one does not hold the title if there is a lien on it.

It really was as easy as all that.

:)

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
That $500 dollars one dealership is gouging us is due to the state/local tax and doc fee that we shouldn't be paying as an out of state buyer. At a certain point you have to decide what you're willing to fight for or walk away from but *do* get it all on paper before you sit at the signing table (before you even walk out *your* door is my best advice).

Today, the finance guy tried to slip in a $495 bogus door protection into the signing papers. I told him I didn't want it and then he took it off...until we started signing the actual sales contract and lo and behold it was a bit too high ("must be the difference in interest rate between your credit union and mine..."), sure as can be right in the middle of all the numbers was a $495 fee that came right out when I brought it up.

You need to be on your toes and watch the top of the line, the bottom of the line, compare it directly to your printed out OTD cost sheet they sent you before you travelled to them, and do let them know you aren't afraid to walk.

I literally had to get in my bug, start it up, and back up a few feet before the manager came running out to knock the last $90 bucks off. My buddy was a little surprised we were heading out the door until I whispered to him we were just going to drive around the block if they let us get that far...which they weren't :)

$90 bucks here and there, they'll try and make you feel stupid for digging your heels in over it just don't forget to throw it right back in their face: "if it's not a big deal, then take it off the table," I always remember why I hate dealerships with a passion. Buying the 2nd most expensive thing in your lifetime shouldn't be such a stressful event for people, imo. Sure, the haggle is fun for some at the beginning but slipping things in after the handshake is deplorable business practice.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Yikes!
I am even more grateful for my dealer experience!
Took money off the listed price because I didn't want that color and that covered the tax and license fees.
Totally no pressure, easy to deal with.
Said no on the extended warranty and gap insurance and that is all they said about it.
Bummer that sneaky dealership/salespeople are out there...?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Forgot to mention, I found both at an independent lot not a VW dealership.

I'm suspect the deal would have been smoother at a VW dealership but then I'd be paying at least a few thousand extra for the "pleasure" :)

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Long day...but I'm back with my black on black SEL Sportwagen! I will say, I have been going back and forth over what kind of car to replace my 2012 with this past year but after nailing this one down (got it down to $15,100 [$16.770 out the door] after haggling down an extra $170 over it missing the spare key even though the dealer tag showed "has spare key," and a $250 travel discount, with a fill up of diesel, and then they wouldn't budge) during the 3 hours back home I realized I was smiling wider and wider and how much I missed my old ride.

I think I did alright. If I get anything back for phase 2 it's just going to be silly.
That is awesome. I hope you enjoy the car!

You cannot wait for your car to come to you. These cars are too rare and you will have to go to it. I too thought about selling my car first before buying a replacement. I discourage that process. Your new car will slip by as the VW buy-back process can take up to 2 months from the first initial registration and starting a claim to getting your buy-back date and payment. It's a straightforward process, but not a fast process.

My story: Saw the car I wanted Thursday eve. I'm in IL, the car is in Findlay OH. I called the dealer Friday afternoon and negotiated the deal. I had to work the weekend so I hired a driver to take wifey & I to O'hare airport on Monday. The dealer had a driver waiting for us at the Toledo airport and drove us to Findlay. We arrived at the dealership around 6pm, drove the car out by 7:30pm. I did NOT pay any sales tax at the time of sale. I will do that later when I register my car in IL.

The dealership put an OH temp plate on the car so we could drive home. I already had temp insurance cards with the car's VIN printed up from my insurance agent. Once I was back in IL I had to wait until I received the OH title to register the car and get an IL title (about 2 weeks wait time). As I financed some of the car through VW Credit, obviously the title has a lien on it. So when I went to the IL DMV WITH the OH title and sales receipt, I paid the IL sales tax, registered the car, got my IL plates, and the the IL title goes to VW credit as in IL one does not hold the title if there is a lien on it.

It really was as easy as all that.

:)
Luckily, the buyback timeline isn't a huge deal to me, as I could make the payments for a few months before I would need the buyback money.

I have realized I need to jump on this car if I want it. I really did like it, so I'm going to probably call the dealer today after I talk to my bank. I don't want to settle on something else later on, knowing I had a car I liked and could have bought.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Dang, they sold the Passat TDI SEL I wanted. :( I was going to go buy it tomorrow also. I guess that's what I get for waiting.

I'm going to another dealer tomorrow a few hours away to purchase one. It's pretty much the same exact car, price, miles, color, etc. The sales rep said he isn't allowed to hold a car, but he'll do something to ensure it isn't sold till tomorrow.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
dang I miss Chris Farnham.....I have bought several used cars since his Passing and none of the deals have been good....

I never did business with him, but earlier this year when we went to buy our 2017 Passat I thought of him. I thought it was weird I never saw him posting anymore. After some research I found out what happened to him and it made me sad.

PAW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 5 spd bug, 03 Jetta 5 spd con, 06 5 spd Jetta, 15 GSW DSG, 15 Golf DSG
Bought a 2015 Golf Sportwagen......115 miles on it....all rubber replaced.... Battery etc..SE .......light package....no nav no climate control...other than that....0% for 5 years....24500 out the door..... bought it the first day they became available....the Monday after Easter

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
Bought a 2015 Golf Sportwagen......115 miles on it....all rubber replaced.... Battery etc..SE .......light package....no nav no climate control...other than that....0% for 5 years....24500 out the door..... bought it the first day they became available....the Monday after Easter
Yea, so, uh... not a "USED (buyback) TDI" as suggested in the thread title.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Drove 3 1/2 hours today and ended purchasing a silver 2015 Passat TDI SEL. I love the car, but it does have one con, which it slightly pulls to the right and shakes a tad while driving. I'm assuming it needs to be balanced and aligned maybe. Hopefully nothing worse, or the wife is going to kill me, lol.

Some info about the car:
2015 Passat TDI SEL with DSG and is silver. Car has 34,500 miles on it.

I know I'll have to hand calculate it, but after filling it up and seeing 850 miles till empty blew me away. I was getting 50+mpg the whole way back doing some 70-75mph. I'm very impressed with the car. I definitely have to find out what is 'shaking' while I drive. The max I'd get to show up on the 2010 Jetta TDI was high 500's. The 2010 Jetta definitely sounds louder, and better than the new one. I like the diesel rumble. I will say I'm not crazy about how the new 2015 shifts, but I can live with it. It's not horrible, but it definitely isn't like the 2010.

A few question:

1. Is the bumper to bumper warranty still valid for me? I assume not.
  2. Is the 5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty still valid for me? Need to know for question 5.
  3. Phase 1 of fix has been done, so am I still covered under the emission warranty of 11 years or 162k miles?
  4. Carfax showed 20k mile service done, but not 30k. Car service check shows it's new oil, but should I just get the oil changed anyways, or wait till 40k miles when I do DSG also?
  5. The shaking while driving kinda bugged me, so I bought an extended 100k mile warranty. I'm going to balance, rotate tires, and align it, then see if it fixes it. If it doesn't, then I'll cancel the warranty for refund. Can I purchase a warranty anywhere else to price them out? If I'm still covered by powertrain, then I'll most likely cancel anyways.
  6. Does this car really have no power outlet (like the 2010 Jetta TDI) or USB ports (like our 2017 Passat TSI)?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Just got back from AZ after grabbing the Golf for my buddy...and oh man was it a steal!

Sure wish I had a need for two and/or my wife wasn't set on us having a wagon for our two kids and Kessy.

It's a beautiful blue with nice tint all around. The tires are brand spanking new as was the carGo and mats. It's an SE with 64K miles, but the dealership we got it from obviously didn't know it also had the technology and lighting packages (I didn't realize it until we started driving home and I saw his HIDs in the rearview mirror)!

Best part was I scored it for him for $11,490 ($12,901 out the door).

amafrank

TDI
'06 TDi jetta, '09 TDi jetta wagon, 15 TDi GSw
Just picked up the 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDi we bought. Had to go 165mi to pick it up ( and to look at it last saturday) but it was a good way to do a real test drive. Its an SEL with a DSG. I wanted a manual but could only find 3 in the country for sale and those were all over 1000 miles away. This one has just over 22K miles and is very nice with the HID light package. I like the way they move when you turn. The meter in the car said 46mpg on the way home. I'll check it out with actual quantity and distance when I fill it up a few times. I'm a little less than confident in the electronic meters...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
A few question:

• [1] Is the bumper to bumper warranty still valid for me? I assume not.
    [2]Is the 5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty still valid for me? Need to know for question 5.
    [3]Phase 1 of fix has been done, so am I still covered under the emission warranty of 11 years or 162k miles?
    [4]Carfax showed 20k mile service done, but not 30k. Car service check shows it's new oil, but should I just get the oil changed anyways, or wait till 40k miles when I do DSG also?
    [5]The shaking while driving kinda bugged me, so I bought an extended 100k mile warranty. I'm going to balance, rotate tires, and align it, then see if it fixes it. If it doesn't, then I'll cancel the warranty for refund. Can I purchase a warranty anywhere else to price them out? If I'm still covered by powertrain, then I'll most likely cancel anyways.
    [6] Does this car really have no power outlet (like the 2010 Jetta TDI) or USB ports (like our 2017 Passat TSI)?
Lot of those warranty questions should have been addressed before you left the dealers lot. Bumper to bumper is only 36K 3 years, so no, I believe yes on 2 and 3 questions.

Dealer should answer question 4 and be able to provide you a recipt of the work order.

Question 5, good luck with an warranty covering "wear and tear items such as bent rims/alignment issues"

6 yeah, get a 12v-USB charger, stick it in the socket and call it good.

You can get an MDI to USB/lightening cord for the arm rest console plug, but its stupid expensive, maybe cheaper used.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
Some info about the car:
2015 Passat TDI SEL with DSG and is silver. Car has 34,500 miles on it.
A few question:
  2. Is the 5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty still valid for me? Need to know for question 5.
If you have not put those 1,500 miles on the car already, you should still be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, as long as the in service date was not prior to three years ago today (DEC 20 2014).

If there is anything wrong with the car you should bring it in and have it documented so that you can try and get it covered. The warranty does not start until the car is sold, so in reality, you may have coverage past 36k on the clock (i.e. car was used as a demo and was sold with 200 miles on it).
The powertrain warranty should still have ~2 years and 25,500 miles on it.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
  3. Phase 1 of fix has been done, so am I still covered under the emission warranty of 11 years or 162k miles?
  4. Carfax showed 20k mile service done, but not 30k. Car service check shows it's new oil, but should I just get the oil changed anyways, or wait till 40k miles when I do DSG also?
  5. The shaking while driving kinda bugged me, so I bought an extended 100k mile warranty. I'm going to balance, rotate tires, and align it, then see if it fixes it. If it doesn't, then I'll cancel the warranty for refund. Can I purchase a warranty anywhere else to price them out? If I'm still covered by powertrain, then I'll most likely cancel anyways.
  6. Does this car really have no power outlet (like the 2010 Jetta TDI) or USB ports (like our 2017 Passat TSI)?
1) I recently returned from overseas and am just getting back into the TDI world, but my understanding from my dealer is that all of the used 2015s sold at VW lots with the phase I fix come with a 2-yr, unlimited mileage bumper-to-bumper warranty from time of purchase. That comes from VW, not the dealership, so I would expect you to have that. Oh, and I read elsewhere that the 2/infinity warranty kicks in AFTER the original 3/36 expires. But check with your dealership and read all the paperwork to be sure.

2) No reason the original power train warranty wouldn't still be valid.

3) Yes. That's why I'm looking to buy a 2015 also.

4) Your call. Safe move is to change oil, but possibly unnecessary. Oil change is relatively cheap peace of mind though.

5) I'd be surprised if your 100k extended will cover balance/alignment. If it doesn't, it's no better than the 2/infinity I think you already have (see #1), except it lasts longer. Might be that your dealer didn't mention the 2/infinity because they were hoping to sell you an extended warranty.

6) Don't know.

amafrank

TDI
'06 TDi jetta, '09 TDi jetta wagon, 15 TDi GSw
The TDi we bought has the remaining time on the original 3 year 36,000 mile warranty left as well as the certified used car warranty which is an additional 2 years and 24,000 miles. Since the car only has a little over 22K miles on it from the beginning we have time.
I got it at a VW dealer, they're buying them at auctions from the buyback lots. I've seen some others pop up at non VW dealers but I think the certified used car warranty is worth going to a vw dealer. My opinion of course.
We've been looking for about a month or so and have seen prices at the dealers running from about $15-20K for cars with 25K miles and up and base packages. The SEL's seem to run $20-25K with the same mileage. We got an SEL with the warranty and 22K miles for $22K. I thought that was reasonable. My last TDi was a 2006 Jetta sedan that I got at 30K miles and ran to 199,951 miles where a 200lb Buck did it in. The car was still a great runner and in nice shape. I hate deer....except that they're very tasty. I expect this one to go that far and more.....

Frank

soldierguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI S DSG
Just picked up my BB '15 Jetta S TDI with DSG. 12,500 miles, I know from the Carfax it was a San Francisco bay area car, and I'm guessing it lived in the city due to a few small marks on the bumpers, and I can see marks on the rear bumper from where the residential parking permit was removed. Not worried about the marks on the bumpers...they're really tough to see, and I've got some touch-up paint coming.

When the paperwork was being done, the dealership mistakenly used the number of miles as the price of the car....number of miles was lower than the price of the car. They caught the mistake, but ate most of it...that plus a lower interest rate put me right at the payment we had originally agreed upon. So in the end it was less than $13K (before TTL) for an S with DSG. Not too shabby.

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Just picked up my BB '15 Jetta S TDI with DSG. 12,500 miles, I know from the Carfax it was a San Francisco bay area car, and I'm guessing it lived in the city due to a few small marks on the bumpers, and I can see marks on the rear bumper from where the residential parking permit was removed. Not worried about the marks on the bumpers...they're really tough to see, and I've got some touch-up paint coming.

When the paperwork was being done, the dealership mistakenly used the number of miles as the price of the car....number of miles was lower than the price of the car. They caught the mistake, but ate most of it...that plus a lower interest rate put me right at the payment we had originally agreed upon. So in the end it was less than $13K (before TTL) for an S with DSG. Not too shabby.
That is a deal and a half. Nice job!!

Jbennett106

TDI
2015 golf sportwagen
I purchased a 2015 SE golf sportwagen tdi. I did
PHP:
not go with the extended warranty as the dealship was not easy to work with and I did not want to give the. Any extra money. I received a letter from VW this weekend informing me I now have extended warranty for 2 years unlimited miles. This is great news as I drive a lot for work

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
I purchased a 2015 SE golf sportwagen tdi. I did not go with the extended warranty as the dealship was not easy to work with and I did not want to give the. Any extra money. I received a letter from VW this weekend informing me I now have extended warranty for 2 years unlimited miles. This is great news as I drive a lot for work
And what did you pay!!??

I see that the Gen 1 cars are starting to flood the market. Lots of hits popping up on Autotrader. I'm again thinking that I should ditch my GTI and go back to a TDI. While I don't have much of a commute, I just love the diesel economy and performance. I'm encouraged to see that cars as old as 2010's appear to be repaired and offered for sale. Maybe VW is saving more of these cars from the crusher than I had previously thought.

My problem is that I just don't know if I can stomach the prices. A base model 2014 JSW with 40k on it and asking $19.7k (non-CPO). That seems high to me. What do others think?

I think that I'm going to settle on a 2013 or 2014 because as far as I can tell there are no 2015 GSW's for sale in the country with a 6-speed. I did see a loaded SEL for $22.4k that is gorgeous, but I don't want to settle for a DSG and I'm thinking I might keep this car for a decade which makes me want to avoid the giant hole in the roof.

So here is my millionth post pining for a buy-back TDI and whining about the pricing. If I could go back and do it again I would have snapped up a brand new 2015 when they were released last spring. Oh well, coulda shoulda.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I agree that prices seem high, especially since a lot of the Gen 1 cars that are available out there have over 50K miles on them. And you're right, I don't think there are any GSW manuals out there. I didn't realize when I got mine how unusual it would be.

There's an auction site available to dealers where they can bid on cars that are in inventory. Prices will probably come down over time as dealers learn what they can actually sell these cars for. However, many people (like you) see this as their last chance to get a new(ish) TDI. So maybe they'll pay the premium.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
[*] Does this car really have no power outlet (like the 2010 Jetta TDI) or USB ports (like our 2017 Passat TSI)?

don't you love decontenting? you still have a 12V outlet!

Just keep in mind you couldn't get leather, homelink visor, door puddle lights, in a 2010 jetta and it'll make yourself feel better.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I purchased a 2015 SE golf sportwagen tdi. I did
PHP:
not go with the extended warranty as the dealship was not easy to work with and I did not want to give the. Any extra money. I received a letter from VW this weekend informing me I now have extended warranty for 2 years unlimited miles. This is great news as I drive a lot for work
What's the unlimited mileage warranty cover and why is your car eligible for it?

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
I purchased a 2015 SE golf sportwagen tdi. I did not go with the extended warranty as the dealship was not easy to work with and I did not want to give the. Any extra money. I received a letter from VW this weekend informing me I now have extended warranty for 2 years unlimited miles. This is great news as I drive a lot for work
Was your car CPO?

I've read that for CPO cars they are going with 2 years unlimited mileage instead of 2 yr/24k miles. But I'm wondering if VW is applying that warranty to ALL buyback vehicles across the board. If so, then what a deal for a high mileage driver. Get an older 2010 or 2012, put 75k of miles on it in two years under full warranty.

soldierguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI S DSG
Was your car CPO?

I've read that for CPO cars they are going with 2 years unlimited mileage instead of 2 yr/24k miles. But I'm wondering if VW is applying that warranty to ALL buyback vehicles across the board. If so, then what a deal for a high mileage driver. Get an older 2010 or 2012, put 75k of miles on it in two years under full warranty.
If that’s the case...WOO HOO!!! I put 55,000 miles a year on cars with my daily commute to and from work. The one I bought over the weekend is a CPO...I’ll be looking for mail from VW with my fingers crossed.