Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
PST Rebate

So we returned our car on Dec 1st 2017 and I am glad to see that others are getting refunded on their portion of the PST from the BC government...yah:)
Thanks to tobianogreg for finding that form.
Glad that it isn't limited to within 4 years of purchase.
Just looking for some input and confirmation.
So when we fill the form out , I believe, we calculate the 7% from the money that Volkswagen gave us?
In the reason for the claim anything special you guys mentioned, other than the Volkswagen class action and buyback program?

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDi Malone Stage 2, Rawtek.
Well, they'd be ones that have had the first phase of the fix done.... so there's that. You'd need to go back and get phase 2 done next year. And you won't be getting any money for it.
Some may still be leftover.... but I highly highly doubt it.
That means that VW has purchased these back from owners and fixed them... meaning they are already out a ton of money on them, which means they are likely going to cost a pretty penny.
If you will get the benefit of a TDI (like, you drive 6000km a month or more) then it might be worth it in the long run.
Me - I don't drive near enough to really get all the benefits of a TDI so I'm looking for a low mileage gas wagon to replace my TDI. Hopefully using the buyback money to pay for the whole thing...
Phase 1 “fix” on our 2015 Jetta 6MT long story short sucked.... loss of power and fuel mileage. Despite what others have said, dyno numbers bla bla... I was so disappointed it’s at the dealership and waiting for Dec 20th to finalize the buy back. Was a fun car prior to fix, post fix.... not at all, noticeably underpowered
Dangerously so with 3 other passengers. One option might be to do an AdBlue, DPF with SCR delete and a Malone tune, provided you got a reasonable purchase on a used one.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
No tips or pointers on filling out the PST refund?
The wife just pointed out that the pst should only be calculated on the value amount and not the total including the sorry money...damn women's memory..lol
She is right though..
:)

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Yes, PST was only on the buy back vale less the $5100.00.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Phase 1 “fix” on our 2015 Jetta 6MT long story short sucked.... loss of power and fuel mileage. Despite what others have said, dyno numbers bla bla... I was so disappointed it’s at the dealership and waiting for Dec 20th to finalize the buy back. Was a fun car prior to fix, post fix.... not at all, noticeably underpowered
Dangerously so with 3 other passengers. One option might be to do an AdBlue, DPF with SCR delete and a Malone tune, provided you got a reasonable purchase on a used one.
Just for clarity sake - for others who read this - I'l assuming that you did phase 1 before the March cut off earlier this year correct? Back when you could get the phase 1 fix and have it NOT affect your settlement options.

Anyone reading this now, if you opt for the fix now, you cannot switch and do buyback if you are unhappy.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Just for clarity sake - for others who read this - I'l assuming that you did phase 1 before the March cut off earlier this year correct? Back when you could get the phase 1 fix and have it NOT affect your settlement options.
Anyone reading this now, if you opt for the fix now, you cannot switch and do buyback if you are unhappy.
Good catch!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Has anyone heard anything on the Phase 2 fix (2015 Mk7 cars)? When I took my car in for Phase 1 (summertime), the service manager said he expected the Phase 2 to roll out "later this year".

Just want to make sure I didn't miss a memo somewhere along the line.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Has anyone heard anything on the Phase 2 fix (2015 Mk7 cars)? When I took my car in for Phase 1 (summertime), the service manager said he expected the Phase 2 to roll out "later this year".

Just want to make sure I didn't miss a memo somewhere along the line.
US Docs said the second part wouldn't be available until at least 2018.

I'd fully expect you to have to wait a bit longer since we haven't heard anything from the US about availability of parts for Phase 2 yet.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone else tried to wade thru applying for a remission order yet? (In order to obtain a refund from the feds.) Tax lawyer recommended.
What more could you want than the PST on the buy back value? I'm pretty happy with that after 7yrs & 195k km's.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Anyone else tried to wade thru applying for a remission order yet? (In order to obtain a refund from the feds.) Tax lawyer recommended.
This might be the only option for anyone who paid HST... and may not be worth the hassle, especially if you are still paying down a loan.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
What more could you want than the PST on the buy back value? I'm pretty happy with that after 7yrs & 195k km's.
Considering that the fed govt refused to stand up for 105,000 citizens, I feel I/we have a right to the associated gst/hst on returns. Morally, does the govt deserve to keep this money?

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Considering that the fed govt refused to stand up for 105,000 citizens, I feel I/we have a right to the associated gst/hst on returns. Morally, does the govt deserve to keep this money?
I don't disagree, but the case for this type of thing has to be pretty air tight to get a ruling in your favour...

kayn1n3

TDI
2014 Jetta
Bought a ‘14 TDI Jetta in June of 2017. Started getting emails from Norden that my car has not had the emissions update done yet.

What are my options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Bought a ‘14 TDI Jetta in June of 2017. Started getting emails from Norden that my car has not had the emissions update done yet.

What are my options.
Did you buy it from a VW dealer as used? Or privately?

There are many different emissions updates.... not just the 'big' one. So it could really be for anything. If you have a newly affixed sticker under the hood regarding the emissions, it has the fix already.

Anyway, you could probably get more info if you call the dealer with your VIN.

You could also start a claim on vwcanadasettlement.ca and see where that goes. If it doesn't already have the fix you can get it done and get half the damages money. Which for that car is about $2500.

kayn1n3

TDI
2014 Jetta

There are many different emissions updates.... not just the 'big' one. So it could really be for anything. If you have a newly affixed sticker under the hood regarding the emissions, it has the fix already.

You could also start a claim on vwcanadasettlement.ca and see where that goes. If it doesn't already have the fix you can get it done and get half the damages money. Which for that car is about $2500.

I bought used from a VW dealer in Alberta. I will look for a sticker. Where do they put it?

I will also make enquirers as well regarding the VIN status. Thank you

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
2013 over 150000km, foolishly bought new tires last year, timing belt probably due.

What are your opinions on what I should do? I was thinking on ordering the timing belt/water pump kit and do it myself, or does it make more sense to turn it in?

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 over 150000km, foolishly bought new tires last year, timing belt probably due.

What are your opinions on what I should do? I was thinking on ordering the timing belt/water pump kit and do it myself, or does it make more sense to turn it in?
If it runs on it's own power and you are returning it to volkswagen, for the tradein or buyback...
Don't do anything but return it...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...

The timing belt change interval on the 2013 common-rail diesels is 200,000 km. No need to do anything. We turned ours in with a broken spring, and well beyond the 90k km service interval.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
Thanks for the replies.

I still don't know if it makes sense to hang onto it until about 300000km or not. I really like the diesel the way it cruises up hills and with the good fuel economy it gets. I think it is paid for in a month or two and I will find out what they will give me for it.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
Has anyone done the buy back process recently? I am planning on turning mine back in but I'm waiting for my e-Golf to arrive and I want to time it so they happen at the same time. e-Golf will arrive any time from this spring to summer so I'm trying to get a feel for how long the buy back process is from start to finish, I know it was many months for some at the beginning, but I assume now it's much faster now?

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Thanks for the replies.

I still don't know if it makes sense to hang onto it until about 300000km or not. I really like the diesel the way it cruises up hills and with the good fuel economy it gets. I think it is paid for in a month or two and I will find out what they will give me for it.
FWIW, the 1.8 TSI gets pretty decent fuel economy if you don't beat up too hard on it. With 185 lb-ft of torque with 5-speed manual, or 199 with automatic or 6-speed manual 4MOTION, starting at 1500 RPM, it scoots up hills pretty well too.

With the slightly shorter gearing of the 5 speed's final ratio, I find my '16 Golf and my wife's '17 Golf Sportwagen go up hills just as competently as our TDIs did. There are hills around here where I can blast up in top gear in my TSI (5th gear) that required, on my TDI, a downshift from 6th to 5th.

On the flip side, the extended warranty if you take the fix, for the emissions parts (which I think includes the troublesome HPFP) and the cash might make hanging on attractive.

For my wife it wasn't worth it, the delta between the VW payout and the cost of a new car was only $3k before tax. We got a brand new car with the warranty reset to zero. Most of the year here diesel runs from well above RUG (in winter) to just slightly below (summer) so the cost of RUG is marginally lower on average all year, and the cost per km not much different compared to our previous TDIs.

Plus the TSI is way smoother and quieter than a TDI.

In summer, on my Golf hatch, I average 5.8 L/100 km compared to about 4.8-5 on my Mk VI TDI. My wife's wagon averages closer to 6-6.4 under the same conditions (we both drive mostly on rural roads).

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone done the buy back process recently? I am planning on turning mine back in but I'm waiting for my e-Golf to arrive and I want to time it so they happen at the same time. e-Golf will arrive any time from this spring to summer so I'm trying to get a feel for how long the buy back process is from start to finish, I know it was many months for some at the beginning, but I assume now it's much faster now?
It is all up to you...seems it can be done in a week or two...
As fast as your documents get approved is how fast it is...

IF you have to resubmit it usually takes 24 hrs from when you respond and resubmit.
You can start and put it on hold at any point you like...for as long as you like

kayn1n3

TDI
2014 Jetta

Confirmed today, the emissions recall is for the class action lawsuit. Started my claim, and will see where it goes.