Any advice on installing the glass in a mirror?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
My heated mirror died. Replacement is here, however will not snap on. I can put the old mirror back on easily and many times over. The new one just doesn't want to snap on. Heat gun? Grease? And yes the finest chinesium ebay has.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
return it, Unless its an OE or equivalent part, its trash. eBay? you should have known better. the 9 of them that i have replaced all go in with no thought or effort ever. dont force yours. you will brake the motor gears and arms. Return it, ***** to eBay and the seller. dont ever buy from eBay again. You will thank me later.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
In defense of chinesium, my pair of aspherical golf mirrors snapped right in, heat right up, $20/pr. My $10 "Euro" headlight switch works perfectly. My Bosch MAF, properly #ed, "made in China".

You do have to wade thru a lot of junk, but just because it says China
doesn't mean it isn't any good. There are a LOT of VWs in China.
Quality and durability will vary according to the supplier. Built to a price for the US market?, corners will be cut. Metallurgy? Welllll, how much scrap went into the flask. Precision heat treating with iffy steel?
Hmmmm. Pick your battles carefully.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I've bought two Chinesium mirrors and those installed just fine: the OEM industry gets plenty of money from me for most everything else. Can't recall having any issues; at most I likely just popped one a bit. I'd look to compare the two and see where they differ. I've had to modify an interior bit (two out of three sets worked fine) to get to work; kind of sucks, but sometimes that's the way it goes.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
a couple dabs of silicone adhesive will do the job.

look carefully, install with dabs where the clips should connect, tape it up and leave overnight.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
My heated mirror died. Replacement is here, however will not snap on. I can put the old mirror back on easily and many times over. The new one just doesn't want to snap on. Heat gun? Grease? And yes the finest chinesium ebay has.
Compare the 2, you might have to trim the ring on the replacement glass to get it to fit properly within the grooves.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
When I bought two blue tint aspherical heated mirrors from eBay for my 2002 Jetta many years ago they snapped right in, no problem. A buddy wanted same for his 2003. No problem installing either set.
He's still asking if something like those are still available for his current car since they did a nice job cutting glare from following vehicles.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
a couple dabs of silicone adhesive will do the job.

look carefully, install with dabs where the clips should connect, tape it up and leave overnight.
Except you forgot that silicone should not be used on cars.