wrecked TDI

basswagon

TDI
2013 sportwagon
Just wondering if anyone has had recent experience turning in a wrecked TDI for buyback.
Last winter, before the fix was announced, the rule seemed to be as long as the car could make it into the dealer parking lot under it's own power, it would be accepted.
Our 2013 was in a freeway pileup on Friday. It still seems to run and drive ok, but the front, and especially the back are mangled pretty good. We had decided to keep it and maybe have the fix done before the wreck.
I called vw's claim number yesterday, and didn't get a clear answer. He said it would depend on what the individual rep decided.
It seems unreasonable that we would have to get it repaired for acceptance, only to be sent to a crusher.
The car has 116,000 on it and is in otherwise good condition.
Thanks!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You've got nothing to lose by filing for buyback and giving it a go. Others have done it.

Keep your insurance agent in the loop of what is going on. Get to the point of obtaining an official buyback offer letter from VW (the condition of the car won't matter for this). At that point, either go buyback, and if VW balks, go the insurance route with your offer letter from VW as evidence of what your car was actually worth.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
You have already stated what the settlement requires. Drive the car into the buyback, and go from there. If you are rejected, contact the plaintiff counsel and make your case. I'm betting you'll get to turn it in as-is.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
When I turned mine in, the local VW guy told me that the car has the engine system removed and is sold for parts. I would imagine they couldn't sell quite so many parts for as much as before, but I hope they would negotiate with you a bit. Good luck.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
basswagon - Did you file a claim with your insurance agency? if so, did they give you an estimate for repairs? or did they total it?

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
you can get the insurance payout and some buyback money. many here have done it. do not settle with the insurance company yet

basswagon

TDI
2013 sportwagon
Went to a body shop for an estimate yesterday. Insurance company says they can issue a settlement check for the damages, if its not totalled, and then I plan to turn it in for buyback. I just filed for buyback but haven't heard from vw yet.
The body shop wanted to take it apart for a "complete estimate", but then it wouldn't be driveable until they put it back together. I don't want to get it repaired unless I have to.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Why do you care if you are going to turn it in? Unless you own it outright the insurance company usually doesn't write the check to you anyway.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Unless you own it outright the insurance company usually doesn't write the check to you anyway.
Fine, so the write the check to the lender. That reduces (or eliminates) the balance owed, so it's that much more you get back from the buyback.

basswagon

TDI
2013 sportwagon
I own it. Sorry for not making that clear.
Just trying to figure out if vw will accept a car with body damage.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
Yes they will, as long as the paperwork is correct.

If you can avoid having your insurance company total it, and keep the original title in your name, the buyback shouldn't be a problem.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I own it. Sorry for not making that clear.
Just trying to figure out if vw will accept a car with body damage.
There appears to be uncertainty over what an individual VW rep might do at the time of the turn-in. However, there is no doubt about what the settlement states: the car needs to be driven under its own power, period.
I attended our son's turn in, and the passenger side was pretty messed up from him having been T-boned months earlier. Went without a hitch, he got the full buyback amount (plus, he got to keep the insurance settlement for the accident).

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
As long as the car moves under it's own power they will buy it back.

I just fixed a car that was smashed in the front. Radiator was smashed, coolant gone. Compressor broken and belt gone. Hood broke windshield. Solenoid on HP pump was broke. Rednecked it and got car running customer is getting his money.

The insurance would pay him far less that VW. So he rejected their offer and waited for VW to settle with him.

Last edited:

basswagon

TDI
2013 sportwagon
Went off today without a hitch. (literally - the hitch was torn off in the wreck!)
The rep started the car, took a few pictures and the title. Full payment to be issued early next week.
Why was I worried?

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone know if insurance companies will allow for a second opinion? Hypothetically speaking, e.g. in the case of the OP's damage, if the insurance company were to say the repair costs outweighed the car's value, could the car's owner get a second opinion in order to get some compensation from the insurance company?

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
p.s. congrats Basswagon. What did you get to replace it?

basswagon

TDI
2013 sportwagon
Thanks!
We bought a new blue Alltrack 6M. It drives real nice, but am sure going to miss the diesel's mileage!
Although the TDI wasn't totalled, it was close to blue book. We just kept the settlement.
Years ago, I did total a newer car, and if I wanted to keep it, could have received an insurance settlement, less salvage value or something. I don't remember exactly, but someone in the insurance biz could tell you how it works.