Tdi clutch questions

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
how is it with only a stage 1 tune which only adds about 20 hp and 30 ft lbs more of torque it easily overpowers these clutches? also this car has nearly 400k on it, I'm not interested in beating on it nor sinking gobs of money into it.......I figure since I know it needs a clutch and turbo why not upgrade a tad for a few more bucks........I really do not want to spend 4-500 on a new clutch if a 200-350 dollar range clutch will serve my needs
I think it is because the TDI applies it's torque very early and very abruptly. These clutches were meant for a vr6 and have q slightly stronger pressure plate that the stock Tdi clutch... But It's a lot easier on the clutch to have 250ftlbs @ 4000rpm with a vr6 rather than at 2100rpm with a Tdi.

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
I think it is because the TDI applies it's torque very early and very abruptly. These clutches were meant for a vr6 and have q slightly stronger pressure plate that the stock Tdi clutch... But It's a lot easier on the clutch to have 250ftlbs @ 4000rpm with a vr6 rather than at 2100rpm with a Tdi.
that makes sense......I'm just use to pushing stock components on mustangs a good bit with no issue and just new to these tdi's and it just seems you can't do much with the stock stuff vs what I'm use to doing.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
mjr46, I understand your working with V-8's and such, and I don't know if just flashing the ECU will give a reliable 30% increase in power like it will on an ALH TDI. Some of the members here have TDI's that are just beasts, and 200,000 miles later they run just as strong as the day they were built; I am not sure a haul a$$ go fast V-8 (Mustang or not) can make that specific claim. I am not picking a fight with you here: I had many years of go-fast V-8's, but as fun as they are to drive there will never be a 50 MPG V-8 that runs 12 second 1/4 miles.

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
mjr46, I understand your working with V-8's and such, and I don't know if just flashing the ECU will give a reliable 30% increase in power like it will on an ALH TDI. Some of the members here have TDI's that are just beasts, and 200,000 miles later they run just as strong as the day they were built; I am not sure a haul a$$ go fast V-8 (Mustang or not) can make that specific claim. I am not picking a fight with you here: I had many years of go-fast V-8's, but as fun as they are to drive there will never be a 50 MPG V-8 that runs 12 second 1/4 miles.
No I agree with you, and to tell you the truth I can't really compare an apple to an orange or in this case a mustang to a tdi.....most the mustangs I have worked with were N/A and no a flash of the ecm won't net 30% increase because in the tdi I understand with the flash it also allows more boost, thus the 30% more power........don't worry about me, I'm learning with these tdi's it's a fun learning curve and I greatly appreciate all the help forum members have thus given me so far such as yourself......Had I been into forums 15 years ago in their infancy, I'd of save a lot of money on the v-8 stuff and built it right the first time.........so with this tdi, I went to the forums first and will do it right hopefully the first time:) Any suggestion on where to get turbocharger....I see the borg warner for 695.00, then a Mahle for 699.00 then garrett for 799.00 and then stigan for 595.00, obviously garret is top of the line but not sure what to go with??

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
the garrett VNT17 is considered the best unless you are going for big power and require more air than that. id avoid the borg kp39 and the stigan.

the vnt17 turbo needs an adapter or a special hose to work, BUT the dutch auto parts version uses a machined out VNT15 compressor housing so you dont need the $100 adapter or $150 special hose... straight up plug and play upgrade.

as a bonus, its only $600. pretty much having your cake and eating it to, if you can get over the fact that its technically a rebuild...

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
the garrett VNT17 is considered the best unless you are going for big power and require more air than that. id avoid the borg kp39 and the stigan.

the vnt17 turbo needs an adapter or a special hose to work, BUT the dutch auto parts version uses a machined out VNT15 compressor housing so you dont need the $100 adapter or $150 special hose... straight up plug and play upgrade.

as a bonus, its only $600. pretty much having your cake and eating it to, if you can get over the fact that its technically a rebuild...
I hadn't planned on upgrading to a vnt17, I was gonna stay with a stock turbo but given the fact his rebuilt vnt 17 is priced decent...it could be a viable option........My question is: Any reviews by forum members on his stuff? how well did they work/last? My main concern is the manifold part which is the worn part in my/vanes sticking, I don't want any issues there......is that part rebuilt as well or just cleaned?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Have a lot of customers running those sach kits without issue, including on VNT17s (brave). Was that stage 1 running R520s? :p not exactly a fair comparison. fixmyvw, boraparts, and idparts have everything you could ever need for this motor and are great to work with. I believe all of them work with DBW for injector installs, also have an account with DBW and I can tell you that the distributors aren't really making much on these hot swaps.

Best to keep the tune mild until you're ready to drop money for a VNT17. You're looking at around two grand for nozzles, south bend clutch and a turbo. Rebuilt turbos can last a long time, just a matter of getting a properly built tune an doing some data logging to make sure everything behaves like it should.

mjr46

TDI
Jetta
Have a lot of customers running those sach kits without issue, including on VNT17s (brave). Was that stage 1 running R520s? :p not exactly a fair comparison. fixmyvw, boraparts, and idparts have everything you could ever need for this motor and are great to work with. I believe all of them work with DBW for injector installs, also have an account with DBW and I can tell you that the distributors aren't really making much on these hot swaps.

Best to keep the tune mild until you're ready to drop money for a VNT17. You're looking at around two grand for nozzles, south bend clutch and a turbo. Rebuilt turbos can last a long time, just a matter of getting a properly built tune an doing some data logging to make sure everything behaves like it should.
Okay, so sachs it'll be.......and most likely stay stock on the turbo.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
technically a rebuild, sort of...

If you are talking about Dutch Auto Parts, please re-read his posts. A "rebuilt" turbo from him has a brand new cartridge, but has to be labeled rebuilt due to the exhaust manifold is not brand new. I have a 56 mm compressor wheel machined into a vnt-15 housing on my engine and I am very happy with it. Basically a plug-and-play 17/56 for a lot less money.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
If you are talking about Dutch Auto Parts, please re-read his posts. A "rebuilt" turbo from him has a brand new cartridge, but has to be labeled rebuilt due to the exhaust manifold is not brand new. I have a 56 mm compressor wheel machined into a vnt-15 housing on my engine and I am very happy with it. Basically a plug-and-play 17/56 for a lot less money.
I know and i agree with you but mjr46 was hesitant to get anything other than new parts in post 30, so i qualified my statement by saying that he would have to overlook the "technically rebuilt" aspect of those turbos.

ive run multiple used turbos so a good rebuilt unit doesnt bother me at all.

if i were converting to VNT instead of a big wastegated turbo, i may have bought a turbo from Frans myself.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
ketchup..., I am not trying to fight with you either. There have been instances where rebuilt meant second rate parts, but that was a long time ago. Garrett doesn't sell parts to rebuild their VNT turbos anymore, as there were too many going bad by poor quality control during assembly by second rate machine shops. Every hybrid VNT turbo on the planet does not have 100% Garrett parts in them, and that is okay as there are many US and UK manufacturers of quality parts to rebuild turbos. Rotomaster is a widely known quality brand of turbo builders. They are available at Rock Auto for less than $500.00 and come with a three year warranty.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
no worries, i never thought you were.

i was just agreeing with you and clarifying why i mentioned the rebuild thing.

the mahle turbo from idparts that he mentioned earlier has had positive reviews on here as well, if a guy were sticking to the stock size.

really as long as you dont go digging in the bargain bin on ebay, you'll probably be ok. lol

mjr46

TDI
Jetta

the mahle turbo from idparts that he mentioned earlier has had positive reviews on here as well, if a guy were sticking to the stock size.

really as long as you dont go digging in the bargain bin on ebay, you'll probably be ok. lol
trust me the 300 dollar ebay turbos scare me on flea bay!! So rock auto sells a decent turbo from rotomaster? As for the Fans guy, the only concern I have with rebuilt is what if anything is done to the vanes in the manifold part? There in lies my current issue with sticking vanes/ throwing overboost codes a couple of time a day, it's getting so bad I can't run the car hard at all and even when it doesn't throw the code, the car is an utter turd compared to my stock 2000 tdi beetle. I'm learning from you guys what the quality parts yet affordable ones are......not always the cheapest and not the most expensive........there is a lot of good info in this thread and you guys don't know how greatful I am for the time you all have spent to answer my questions, it's helping me get a clear direction and path to follow!!! :)

mjr46

TDI
Jetta

on IDPARTS.COM they list this in the description:

Includes installation hardware including all gaskets and copper pinch nuts. 1998-2001 owners will need to purchase an updated style turbocharger bracket below

Does this mean any new turbo I buy, i'M gonna have to get the bracket or is that just with Mahle? The rotomaster has a 1 year warranty not 3 it looks like.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
You don't always need the bracket, it just depends on which casting of the exhaust manifold they are using. I do recommend buying the bracket right way and if you don't by chance need it, IDParts are really good about returns.

I'm not sure where I got three years from at Rock Auto, I do apologize. There is a vendor that sells TDI turbos and offers a three year warranty, If I remember who it is, I will post it here.

Last edited: