DIY to drop the headliner?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
This makes 0-2 of me vs garage doors. first time was scraping the garage door hinge across the back hatch of the wagon for about 5" which required a minor respray. This time I snagged the back roofline (including the roof antenna) against the bottom of the door backing up before the door was fully open.

Needless to say the antenna is raised up by about 1/8 of an inch at the back (let alone the grit scrapes on the paint). I've tired pressing down on the antenna but i think the sheet metal was tweaked enough that the only source of solution is dropping the headliner and retweaking from the inside.

Anyone have any tips of dropping the headliner enough to grab onto the antenna and retweak.

My guess is pull the side rear plastic parts off then slowly work the headliner down enough to gain access, just not sure of the fine details.

TIA

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
Typically, VW headliners need the various pillars (A, B, C) to be removed first.

Now, I've gotta ask: why the rush to back out before the doors are up? Heck, I wouldn't even start it until they're open.

Long term solution: back it in? That way you're at least facing the doors as you perform your garage combat escape maneuver.

Edited to add: they're made of styrofoam. Don't bend it or you'll have a permanent crease.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ohh man you sound like my wife ;) Totally my bonehead move for being in a rush and not waiting. It's the wife's car, I was just grabbing it to top up the fuel tank before a winter storm, I'll never get her to back into the garage (she's also cleaned out the passengers side mirror of her '12 backing out so lessons not learned on our end, LOL).

My thought is our driveway and garage is up hill so I'm reducing some wear and tear on the DSG buy not backing up. Although if we are expecting snow, I'll back them in to make it easier to clean the said steep driveway.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ZING!

We are both left handed if that makes more sense for everyone ;)