Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Write Up - 2012 Passat SEL

jdrewards

TDI
2012 Passat
I'm confident I've traced my oil leak to the valve cover gasket and have ordered a new one to replace it myself.

I've replaced them on gasoline vehicles before, but I'm concerned about removing the fuel injectors. This leads to my main question: does the fuel system need to be de-pressurized first?

My second question is if a VCDS is necessary to prime the system or if you can turn the ignition on and off a few times to activate the pump.

Nothing I've read suggests the fuel system needs to be de-pressurized, but it seems like you'd have to. I understand the high pressure can be very dangerous and don't want to do something stupid.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Unfortunately I can't answer if the fuel system needs to be depressurized. Maybe Oilhammer can. I believe he's replaced a CR fuel system after a failure.

But you will need a VCDS to prime the fuel system. Turning the key on and off does not engage the pumps to pressurize the system.

jdrewards

TDI
2012 Passat
Thanks for the confirmation about priming the pumps. I'm sure I could find someone local who has a VCDS.

AaronB

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Beater Passat. Real piece
I changed my just cracked fuel lines pulled injectors replaced it and put it all back together. Cranked it till it got fuel pressure and fired off.

downtime

TDI
2014 Passat SE
I changed my just cracked fuel lines pulled injectors replaced it and put it all back together. Cranked it till it got fuel pressure and fired off.

I'm having trouble finding any help online for this. Any special tools needed or tips? Mine is leaking too and I'm considering just replacing the valve cover with it (read a few people have found cracks in theirs). I also have a leak around two injectors that needs to be addressed too.

AaronB

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Beater Passat. Real piece
I'm having trouble finding any help online for this. Any special tools needed or tips? Mine is leaking too and I'm considering just replacing the valve cover with it (read a few people have found cracks in theirs). I also have a leak around two injectors that needs to be addressed too.
I ordered a gasket that came with the orings for the injectors. I still replaced mine and oil still finds its way there. But the hardest part for me was pulling the injectors. Technically you need a slide hammer and some sort of attachment to hook to injector to pull out if they are stuck like mine where. but i made my own outta metal and welded a nut to attach to the slide hammer. But the fuel rail is held in by triple squire bits. i unbolted it and just moved it out of the way the best i could have to pull that cover off. I also had a leak under the Cam Cover/cap whatever you wanna call it on this car. My valve cover gasket was never really leaking its that what i just mentioned on my car. Everyone says you need VCDS to do this stuff but i didnt really believe them so i dug in and it worked great without it. i never found a straight forward guide i just dug in. Ive since also deleted my car and it runs great still have a oil leak but im driving it as its my beater. Itll get bad enough to where i need to address it immediately in the future im assuming

Last edited:

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I ordered a gasket that came with the orings for the injectors. I still replaced mine and oil still finds its way there. But the hardest part for me was pulling the injectors. Technically you need a slide hammer and some sort of attachment to hook to injector to pull out if they are stuck like mine where. but i made my own outta metal and welded a nut to attach to the slide hammer. But the fuel rail is held in by triple squire bits. i unbolted it and just moved it out of the way the best i could have to pull that cover off. I also had a leak under the Cam Cover/cap whatever you wanna call it on this car. My valve cover gasket was never really leaking its that what i just mentioned on my car. Everyone says you need VCDS to do this stuff but i didnt really believe them so i dug in and it worked great without it. i never found a straight forward guide i just dug in. Ive since also deleted my car and it runs great still have a oil leak but im driving it as its my beater. Itll get bad enough to where i need to address it immediately in the future im assuming
AaronB, where exactly was your cam cover leaking, wondering if that is where mine is leaking as it was not the valve cover and not the cam seal.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I had the same passenger side rear leak which went away after snugging up the cover bolts. Nothing too crazy, about 1/16-1/8 turn. 2014 with 205k miles. Good luck, John