Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

YZO024

TDI
01 Jetta TDI
2 weeks ago we had one station in Angleton TX, that was $1.99 gal. Now that I got my TDI back up and running they are back at $2.39 in the same area.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Prices in my neck of Baldwin County are still higher than the rest of Alabama…

Regular is averaging around the $2 mark with diesel around $2.65.

Cheapest around here is the new Buc-ee's that just opened about 20 minutes north of here. The first out outside of Texas! Their regular was $1.879 yesterday, and diesel was $2.459.

I spent over two hours there with a family member who spent way more there than I am comfortable admitting to anyone!

It was pretty impressive, though. I think it has well over 100 pumps, all of which have diesel nozzles. Selected ones also have ethanol free fuel and DEF dispensed direct from the pump, which is not something I've seen around here before.

hugho

TDI
red 2002 vw Jetta wagon 250K miles, MT
Diesel/gasoline spread

Prices in my neck of Baldwin County are still higher than the rest of Alabama…

Regular is averaging around the $2 mark with diesel around $2.65.

Cheapest around here is the new Buc-ee's that just opened about 20 minutes north of here. The first out outside of Texas! Their regular was $1.879 yesterday, and diesel was $2.459.

I spent over two hours there with a family member who spent way more there than I am comfortable admitting to anyone!

It was pretty impressive, though. I think it has well over 100 pumps, all of which have diesel nozzles. Selected ones also have ethanol free fuel and DEF dispensed direct from the pump, which is not something I've seen around here before.
Here in Wyoming Diesel is about 30 cents over gasoline or about $3/gal. Nationwide the average is 60+ cents according to the website oilprice,com. The spread is likely to increase as diesel is refined from the heavier crude grades. Not as much diesel in the Frack grades. Heavier grades tend to come from Mx, Venezuela and Canada. Heavier grades are showing a premium to the lighter grades per barrel. Marine shipping is moving to low sulfur diesel this year increasing diesel demand. I would look for diesel prices increasing relative to gasoline unless demand worldwide collapses.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
In SC, diesel came down a dine to $2.49 and rug went up a dime to $1.99.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Here in Wyoming Diesel is about 30 cents over gasoline or about $3/gal. Nationwide the average is 60+ cents according to the website oilprice,com. The spread is likely to increase as diesel is refined from the heavier crude grades. Not as much diesel in the Frack grades. Heavier grades tend to come from Mx, Venezuela and Canada. Heavier grades are showing a premium to the lighter grades per barrel. Marine shipping is moving to low sulfur diesel this year increasing diesel demand. I would look for diesel prices increasing relative to gasoline unless demand worldwide collapses.
hughho, I understand most of your response above, and appreciate your insight. I don't think I under stand the last few sentences though. Would appreciate your thoughts on my questions below:

What is Marine shipping using now?

Also, regarding diesel demand, how is it that the US EPA / CARB are forcing road transportation away from diesel (due to very strict emission control standards), yet the marine shipping industry is looking to increase? This seems contradictory to me.

JimInPB

TDI
1999.5 ALH Jetta
... Marine shipping is moving to low sulfur diesel this year increasing diesel demand. I would look for diesel prices increasing relative to gasoline unless demand worldwide collapses.

It was my understanding that large ships only burned sweet fuel when inside of territorial waters & they instead burned cheaper/dirtier bunker fuel when offshore. I don't have real numbers to work with, but I would expect that the low sulfur (sweet) fuel would only account for 5% or less of the total fuel that they burn on average. An effect will likely be seen, but it may not be a gigantic effect.

Tankthecarman

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH TDI 5spd
As an aside...has anyone ever heard of adding a half-pint if 2strike oil to the tank for its lubrication qualities? Was told that it helps keep the fuel system and associated parts conditioned in a low sulfur fuel environment. Is there any merit to this?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
$2.23 for RUG and $2.93 for diesel at the local Speedway.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Crude prices are going up, gradually. WTI at $56, up about $13 from the December low, Brent at $66, up about $14. So ULSD futures are up about 35 cents and RBOB futures up about 30 cents.

Not sure what will happen in March and April with the switch to summer-blend gasoline. There is so much gasoline in storage, but refiners keep processing crude because diesel is so profitable.

13blackblack

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Cincinnati is between $2.69 and $2.85 depending on location and brand. Reg. Gas just hit $2.69 at most stations. Gas here has been all over the place but diesel stays pretty steady.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
$2.89 for RUG and $2.79 for diesel, first I have seen it cheaper in a long time.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
$3.699 a gallon at a North County San Diego on Wednesday. Was a shell so a bit more expensive. Costco has us around $3.3Xs it seems, my preferable local gas station in lower Riverside county is a couple cents more than Costco usually is but gives me better mileage by a point or 2 on average.

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
$2.97/gallon here in central Massachusetts at a Irving station. Up 10 cents over two weeks ago.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Noticed diesel for $2.59 yesterday but didn't need it. My daughter is using the JSW this month to help move so told her to go fill and it was back up to $2.67 today. Darn

oldsoul

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI, 2000 New Beetle Non-TDI: 2013 Grand Caravan, 1994 Buick Regal (for sale), 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
$2.88 @ Murphy USA. $3.05 @ Holiday. Iron Range, MN.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I saw $2.81 at the Cape Cod Canal, of all places. Most places near me are still in the $3.05 - $3.15 range.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
$2.56 for RUG and $3.39 for diesel at the local Phillips 66.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
US $7.40

How much of that price is taxes and fees?
Diesel is about $2.00-$2.10/gallon on both sides of the Atlantic. Then there are transportation costs and retail markup, which are probably about the same on both sides of the Atlantic. The rest is tax.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I found this page that shows the road tax as $0.44/liter. 3.785 x .44 = $1.67. Of course that doesn't cover the VAT on each stage of production nor import duties.