Getting Frustrated....

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Hi All,
I'm a long time TDI guy having owned 2 MK3 diesels (1 TDI, 1 AAZ), 5 MK4 tdi's, and we also had an MK6 tdi wagon in the family for years. I bought a 2015 Passat TDI Comfortline (like an SE) 6 speed with 62k on it in August. We were pretty excited when we got it due to its combination of space and fuel economy.
We're now at 82k and so far, the car has needed both rear calipers (1 at 62k, 1 at 79k), both front top bearings (1st mentioned at 63k, then 66k, then replaced at 79k), 1 glowplug (79k), the battery (82k), and it now also needs a water pump (due to leak, appointment is next week) and i'm not able to fill the car up with diesel (see the other thread)
My selling dealer was crap, the 2nd dealer I visited wasn't great, and i'm now dealing with a dealer I at least trust - they're straight forward with me.
I'm a car guy and i'm used to German stuff not being the most reliable in the world, but i'm really starting to feel like purchasing this car was a mistake. Is this a common list of problems on this model? I knew I'd need a battery at some point and i'd read about water pumps, but what about the rest? I ran 1 of my mk4's to 300k and didn't have trouble like this.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
I acquired a similar car just a few weeks ago, will be watching this thread with much interest!

I have an extended VW warranty which would soften the financial impact of possible issues like this, but I sure don't want to have to deal with the potential inconvenience.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
To me it sounds like someone drove the crap out of it before you bought it.
I'm barely at 56,000km and have no problems with my car.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
To me it sounds like someone drove the crap out of it before you bought it.
I'm barely at 56,000km and have no problems with my car.
It feels that way. I closely reviewed the service history before buying the car - it was sold at a dealer north of the GTA and all the services were done by that dealer. We don't baby the car, but don't beat it up either.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
my bets are deep water-someone got some water in those parts. My 2013 SE was showroom perfect when my wife totaled it at 120K on the OEM brakes. We also live on a 1 mile long gravel road with pot holes, so it wasn't a pavement queen either

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 2015 TDI engine is largely an unknown, but the water pumps have already been noted as common.

The NMS Passat has had a few issues from what I have seen. Abnormal front brake wear, specifically warped rotors and deep grooves in them, with some strange noises from time to time.

Front control arm bushing failure, these went back to the type of compliance bushings that the older cars had. Some other newer VAG models have done the same. No idea why, after they finally "fixed" the issue, they decided to go back, but they did.

Sway bar links getting worn out. Same issue that started with the A5, but seem to be much worse with the NMS.

Already seen a few wheel bearings bad on them.

I suspect some of these issues are due to some poor quality American vendors, as these cars are built here, for here, and do use some locally sourced bits. Much more than you'd see with Mexican or Brazilian assembled cars, who seem to have vendors that followed from Germany. For instance, a Mexican Jetta will have Bosch or Hella exterior lights, but the NMS will have Stanley (same ones that many US-built Toyotas got... and they are crappy).

But for the most part, they seem to hold up reasonably well. Certainly not the high water mark of the brand, but they are not priced that way either. A new 2019 Passat starts at $25k. There were $25k Passats on dealer lots here two decades ago (seriously). You cannot maintain that price point without cheapening some things.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Not to sound harsh, but everything you are replacing, except for WP, but seems sadly common) seem to be wear and tear items on a used car that's coming up on 4-5 years old. I'd rest peaceful knowing that you shouldn't have any issues for few years or another 80k km.

Also the NMS is def not a german car, she's and an american car for the american market (and china too), it just has some german parts on her.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Not to sound harsh, but everything you are replacing, except for WP, but seems sadly common) seem to be wear and tear items on a used car that's coming up on 4-5 years old. I'd rest peaceful knowing that you shouldn't have any issues for few years or another 80k km.

Also the NMS is def not a german car, she's and an american car for the american market (and china too), it just has some german parts on her.
I guess that my confidence is just a bit shaken at this moment. We didn't finance with payments in order to have issues. I run a 13 year old C230 in the winter and I expect to have a certain amount of trouble with it, but at least i'm not making any payments on it. I think i'm done with my rant about the Passat for now.

oilhammer

TDI
Your car doesn't care if you owe money on it or not. Just because you are making payments on something doesn't automatically mean it cannot break. Doesn't work that way.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Your car doesn't care if you owe money on it or not. Just because you are making payments on something doesn't automatically mean it cannot break. Doesn't work that way.
You're absolutely right, Brian but we got a newer car for her to not have problems. It's ok for me to have problems with my paid-for car :)

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
You're absolutely right, Brian but we got a newer car for her to not have problems. It's ok for me to have problems with my paid-for car :)

Getting a newer car to have a reliable car means not getting a VW or any other German engineered car that was honcho en mehico
THats the worst of both worlds
Funky engineering and built in a third world country

You need a Honda or Toyota with a manual transmission , they will usually last forever

If you suspect it’s a lemon , I’d look into selling it and buying something else , except you probably owe a lot more than it’s worth

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Getting a newer car to have a reliable car means not getting a VW or any other German engineered car that was honcho en mehico
1st it is " Hecho en Mexico" Made in Mexico, a HONCHO is a person in charge!:D
2nd in today's world cars are largely built by robots who have no country or nationality.:rolleyes:
3rd the NMS Passat is built in Chattanooga, Tennessee, which I believe is part of the USA and not Hecho en Mexico.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI

You need a Honda or Toyota with a manual transmission , they will usually last forever

If you suspect it’s a lemon , I’d look into selling it and buying something else , except you probably owe a lot more than it’s worth
My Brazilian assembled 19 year old half million mile + Golf would tend to disagree with you. :rolleyes:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
3rd the NMS Passat is built in Chattanooga, Tennessee, which I believe is part of the USA and not Hecho en Mexico.

Ahh but to some, Chattanooga is a third world country, there's a reason why VW built the plant there.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess that my confidence is just a bit shaken at this moment. We didn't finance with payments in order to have issues. I run a 13 year old C230 in the winter and I expect to have a certain amount of trouble with it, but at least i'm not making any payments on it. I think i'm done with my rant about the Passat for now.

That's one of the issues with buying a used car, let along a buy back, no confidence in prior ownership/maintenance and probably was treated like dirt.

Anything old is expected/accepted to have a few gripes/grumbles and you can live with that cause it's old, agreed having a "new" car and having grumbles like you mentioned does sour the taste of a new car.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
Ahh but to some, Chattanooga is a third world country, there's a reason why VW built the plant there.

It was the ultimate back at ya

The plant is built on the exact site that used to be the volunteer army ammunition plant that made TNT for gunpowder and bombs for WW-II

The site was so contaminated that they paved over most of it and made it an industrial park

Part of it is still to polluted to allow any access and is fenced off

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I think my new to me 15 has the water pump problem- sounds like a loose flywheel in the drive threw- are these covered by the diesel gate warranty?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I picked up Zimmerman rotors as well as tyrol brake carrier stiffening kit.

Our '15 has pad deposit build up that's making it feel like warped rotors. I'll prob be changing over in the spring time when the garage warms up a tad more than 45 degrees.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
We're now having an intermittent long cranking issue. I haven't seen it myself, but she's complained 2 or 3 times. I've read a couple threads but haven't seen a final solution. BTW - the battery is very recent.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Me again. Not only is the fuel tank issue still present (i'm going to try to play with the venting system - i strongly suspect that it's freezing), the interior drivers door handle is now peeling (and a bit sharp) and the rear defrost has quit.

I don't want to seem like a whiny b*tch, but this is bull.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My Wagon wasn't built in a third world country, but at 380K miles has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've owned. And my son's Brazilian built Golf has similar mileage and has been, if anything, more reliable. All it's needed is wear items replaced.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
My Wagon wasn't built in a third world country, but at 380K miles has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've owned. And my son's Brazilian built Golf has similar mileage and has been, if anything, more reliable. All it's needed is wear items replaced.
I have to admit that a Honda or Toyota with a stick shift would be more reliable, but they have no driving feel and i don't generally find them comfortable.

I really want to like the passat, and she does also, but i think we're up to 11 issues in the last 6 months. Unfortunately, we're nowhere near being at a break even point, so unless we want to take a financial pill, there isn't much to do