Malone Stage 2 or CR170 stage 3 for 180k miles 2011 TDI JSW?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello,

I am little concerned about 180k miles on almost completely original JSW. Even DPF/HFPF, brakes and suspension and now i have that infamous p2015 code just last week on Thursday.... but it drives fine now so far. I plan have it tuned this week and which should i go for? My concerns are original motor and DSG. I am leaning towards stage 2 malone tune with 2015 code turned off with bracket. only replaced is infamous exhaust flap. Thats all besides typical ac compressor.

Last edited:

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
well, not sure a dsg, especially one getting on in age is going to appreciate a stage 3 tune. I know personally that the stock clutch in a manual is iffy at stage two much less cr170 stg 3. Sounds like getting your dsg tuned is imperative for anything over stg .5-1.

Now its your car and money, but I think throwing that stage 3 at a 180k car is questionable economics, without significant money in the chassis and drive train I doubt you would really enjoy it.

Id get the stage two if you really want a tune and don't want to open a giant can of worms. I may be wrong, but I don't think many people with dsg's have gone stage 3.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow you hit The nail on the head. Kudos to you for that.

I am CDN Josh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG, 2015 MB GLK250
Why do people here act like the DSG transmission is made out of glass? Case in point, their tow rating is slightly higher overseas than the 6 speed manual versions.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm Do you have the tech info for DSG? Such as torque rating and etc

Last edited:

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
In another thread in the power enhancement forum, Mark Malone said:

The factory VW TDI Cup cars (the real ones that participated in the TDI Cup race, not the street edition available to the public) does have a 368ft-lb limiter as opposed to the usual 258ft-lb. However our tuned DSG limit is a little higher than these.

there are other CR TDIs pushing 400wtq with stock DSG hardware.
I take this as meaning the DSG is rock solid.

I am CDN Josh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG, 2015 MB GLK250
It's also worth mentioning that in NA we got the 6 speed wet clutch version which has a higher TQ rating than the 7 speed dry clutch version offered overseas.

It's nothing short of a fantastic transmission even compared to the 7 speed auto in my wife's Mercedes. It's the "manual only" crowd around here that thinks they're garbage.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys for building my confidence. I will do stage 3 later on. Stage 2 as finalized decision as i tend to drive 200-300 miles daily. My other question is.... 180k miles hfpf....? Safe?

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
The DSG is the only automatic I can tolerate. It's exceptional. I'm 40 and every single car of mine (outside of our DSG JSW) has had s manual trans.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
It's also worth mentioning that in NA we got the 6 speed wet clutch version which has a higher TQ rating than the 7 speed dry clutch version offered overseas.

It's nothing short of a fantastic transmission even compared to the 7 speed auto in my wife's Mercedes. It's the "manual only" crowd around here that thinks they're garbage.
The DSG is the only automatic I can tolerate. It's exceptional. I'm 40 and every single car of mine (outside of our DSG JSW) has had s manual trans.
Yep!

I went manual transmission because that's what I prefer. I was quite tempted to go with a DSG after test driving a couple jsw and golfs.

After learning a bit more I've found that the DSG is quite a stout transmission with the only weakness being the dual mass flywheel. That's where the manual transmission shines since there are a few options for single mass flywheels and greatly upgraded clutches. The weak point of the manual transmission is that once you go over 375-400 ft lbs you start to torque the input shafts enough that when you're in 5th & 6th gears under high torque situations it will half engage 4th's syncro which in turn will cause that syncro to fail.

There's a bit more info and ways around the issue on pages 9-11 here...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=367577

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Thanks guys for building my confidence. I will do stage 3 later on. Stage 2 as finalized decision as i tend to drive 200-300 miles daily. My other question is.... 180k miles hfpf....? Safe?
I would think it is 98-99%%safe,

failures reported here do not seem correlated with age or distance.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
The dsg is built to take more power than you think. I saw an R32 a few weeks ago with a turbo putting out close to 400whp and the engine and DSG both had over 200k miles with no significant issues.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
sweet testimonies above... I will do stage 3 later when my wallet is available with the funds, I went for stage 2 due to budget reason and its well worth it! That solved a lot of problems and I am way happier. I've made average 10-15 mpg more than i used to at stock state. threw out DPF and EGR and all its parts.. totaled nearly 75 to 100 lbs saved... felt the car a bit lighter on its front end. much quicker and love how she growls... next on the list is brakes! they are all original... and still shows 25-35% thick pads. little vibrations from rotors.. guess it's time to upgrade.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
sweet testimonies above... I will do stage 3 later when my wallet is available with the funds, I went for stage 2 due to budget reason and its well worth it! That solved a lot of problems and I am way happier. I've made average 10-15 mpg more than i used to at stock state. threw out DPF and EGR and all its parts.. totaled nearly 75 to 100 lbs saved... felt the car a bit lighter on its front end. much quicker and love how she growls... next on the list is brakes! they are all original... and still shows 25-35% thick pads. little vibrations from rotors.. guess it's time to upgrade.
Stock rotors are fine unless you plan to take it on a road corse. Same goes for the pads. I'd say if you want to upgrade the brakes start with the pads. I'm a big fan of stoptech street performance pads:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...11&autoModClar=4-Door+With+Rubber+Valve+Stems

Those pads STOP if you so much as breath on the brake peddle. The OEM pads seem much more progressive.