Cam replacement and now Idles rough and smokes

Curmudgeon

TDI
2013 Jetta
I purchased a 2006 Jetta TDI with the BRM engine that had bad camshaft and lifters. I replace the cam and lifters, water pump, timing belts. I checked the timing as others have suggested by turning the engine over and two revolutions and reinstalling the timing tools making sure the cam timing pin slides in freely.
After the repair the engine idles rough and has some white smoke out of the tail pipe. Once the engine is up around 1500 RPM it seems to smooth out and is very responsive to the throttle.
I ran it about 5 minutes at 2000 RPM to break in the cam. Seemed to smooth out a little but still idles rough and has some white smoke out the exhaust which is likely unburned fuel from the rich smell.
It idle extremely rough before I changed the cam and runs much better but don’t like the smoke and rough idle. Both check engines lights are on.

Any Ideas

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Please save your self some aggravation and get VCDS and not some inferior product.

The one you want is a MICRO-CAN as it will work on 2005.5 and newer VAG cars.

Here is a link:

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCuCAN.html

The stuff on EBAY will not work on your cars, but will work somewhat on cars older than yours. Contact Ross-tech for further information, they are good folks to deal with.

Bill

Curmudgeon

TDI
2013 Jetta
Just got my Ross-Tech Micro Can tonight.
This is the codes I downloaded:
P0303 #3 cylinder miss fire. I also stored some values that I thought my be helpful in getting some help. Please cut me some slack I have about 1/2 hour experience with this software. If someone could help me with the injector quality information that would be a big help. I will be searching the form to help educate myself on Ross-tech.
I did notice my torsion value is -3.9. My timing cover is marked with -1.9 so it appears I have some adjustment to do after installing my new cam.

Address 01: Engine (03G 906 016 AB)

22:10:09 Group 013: Idle Stabilization (Injection Quantity Deviation)
-3.01 mg/str Injection Quantity Deviation Cyl. 1
1.25 mg/str Injection Quantity Deviation Cyl. 2
2.99 mg/str Injection Quantity Deviation Cyl. 3
-1.36 mg/str Injection Quantity Deviation Cyl. 4

Curmudgeon

TDI
2013 Jetta
Yes I did. When I sent my injectors I did notice that #3 did feel a little funny. It did not give me a good "stop" feel like the rest. I may not have adjusted it down far enough.

I adjusted the injectors by the cam lobe method and did not use a dial indicator. I think I will get the dial indicator out in the morning and do 1/4 turn out on the #3 injector. Any thoughts.

I did adjust my torsion value and it is on 0.0 after the first adjustment. LUCKY. I did notice #3 cylinder injector quality deviation is a 2.99

This is the last log I saved while the car was running.

Address 01: Engine (03G 906 016 AB)
23:30:04 Group 004: Pump-Jet Valves
861 /min Engine Speed (G28)
2.2 °BTDC Injection Start (specified)
6.6°KW Injection Duration (specified)
0.0°KW Torsion Value
23:30:04 Group 013: Idle Stabilization (Injection Quantity Deviation)
-2.82 mg/str Injection Quantity Deviation Cyl. 1
-0.68 mg/str Injection Quantity Deviation Cyl. 2
2.99 mg/str Injection Quantity Deviation Cyl. 3
-0.94 mg/str Injection Quantity Deviation Cyl. 4
23:30:04 Group 018: Piezo Unit Injector Status
0.0 Injector Status Cylinder 1
0.0 Injector Status Cylinder 2
0.0 Injector Status Cylinder 3
0.0 Injector Status Cylinder 4

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

TDI
2013 Jetta
I just had a thought. Could it be, that the maybe I have a bent rod or bad valve on the #3 cylinder causing low compression and that the computer is trying to compensate for it by putting in more fuel? Maybe a compression check is in order. I do have some white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I also noticed that I could get all the injection quantity values to change except #3 by increasing the RPM.

Its late going to tackle it tomorrow.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
First of all white smoke could be a lean mixture and possibly the white smoke and rich smell is condensation. Keep an eye on your coolant level to make sure head gasket is not a problem but it is possible #3 injector is clogged up and the computer just can't deviate it anymore at idle. I wonder how hard it would be to change a couple injectors around. That would show rate away, the injector having the problem, if the deviation follows the injector. Hopefully the white smoke is then caused by the injector. The misfire code could be left over from the cam problem or caused by the injector deviation being out of whack.

Curmudgeon

TDI
2013 Jetta
I adjusted the injector using the dial indicator and backed it off 1/4 of a turn. No change in performance or readings. Anyone know were I can find an used injector?

Going to call a local fuel injection place in Omaha and see if they can rebuild it and what the cost is.

Between the injector and the bad cam is why the previous owner must have parked it.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Just for your information it should be just snugged down until you feel it bottom out the injector plunger and then backed off 1/2 turn per Bently. I suggest setting it correctly first chance you get. Might have an effect on your deviation readings as well.

Curmudgeon

TDI
2013 Jetta
#3 cylinder has an issue. I think it is the injector. I mays swap 3 and 4 and see if the problem changes. Since I have no history with this engine I may also do a compression check. If it is an injector is it acceptable to just change one. I hate to spend $1200.00 on a full set.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
#3 cylinder has an issue. I think it is the injector. I mays swap 3 and 4 and see if the problem changes. Since I have no history with this engine I may also do a compression check. If it is an injector is it acceptable to just change one. I hate to spend $1200.00 on a full set.
Might want to start with an injector purge and change the fuel filter as well since you have no history of maintenance. Then do the swap which will then determine if you need to do a compression check. Yes you can start by buying one. As long as you can get your deviation under 1.0 ( according to the man Dan144).

Curmudgeon

TDI
2013 Jetta
James, thanks for the information. I will search for instructions on the injector purge. Spent this week end with the family and friends for Easter:) Maybe I will have time for the injector purge and swap a couple of injectors tomorrow. I don't have new bolts or o-rings but will get some after more trouble shooting. I did find that there are a lot used injector sets on Ebay in the UK. They seem to have a lot fewer miles than the ones in the states. I got a quote of 36 pounds to ship them. Of course the exchange rate is not in our favor.

Curmudgeon

TDI
2013 Jetta
I found a couple of used injectors. I ordered injector seals and diesel purge, new rocker shaft and injector hold down bolts from Bora Parts. When I get all my parts I will do some swaps and record my results. Since I do not have to return my old injector for a core, and if I get the urge, I may disassemble it and see if I can find the problem. That is if the urge doesn’t pass.

Curmudgeon

TDI
2013 Jetta
I got my used injectors today. I put new o-rings on and installed it in #3 cylinder. I made sure the copper seals came out with the old injector and installed new seals on the other injector. Now the engine will crank but wont start. I pulled the glow plug before cranking the engine. I don't get any fault codes. I suspect maybe I nicked an oring installing the new injector. Is there a way that I can check the fuel pressure in the common rail?

I tried to check injector quantity while cranking it would not give me a reading.

Curmudgeon

TDI
2013 Jetta
Update: I cranked the engine for a consistanat 30 seconds and the Jetta started. Unfortanatly it still has a fault code for cyl 3 misfire and my cylinder 3 is a 2.99 on injection quantity.

I am now going to do what I knew I should have done first. A compression test on the engine. I have a good quality diesel compression gauge but do not have the proper addapter. So once again back to the internet to order more stuff.

After reomiving the 4 glow plugs the one out of the #3 cylinder had a lot more carbon build up than the rest.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Not knowing the history of your car is the problem( mileage and past maintenance). I was only suggesting a no cost injection swap between cylinders since you have VCDS. If you saw the cost going up then you have to reevaluate the best approach( cost wise, I can't do that for you). If you got this car for 2 or 3 thousand based on only knowing the cam was shot, and it was not running right then yes you would assume the worst and hope you get lucky. So that is exactly what you are doing, but don't ***** when the first thing you try doen't work out. This may not be your lucky car.

Curmudgeon

TDI
2013 Jetta
James,
Thanks for all your help and recommendations. Yep I took a chance and tonight I found out that number three cylinder has no compression. I did not have the proper adapter to do the compression test before I ordered my injectors. You bring up a good point about not knowing the history of the car. The car is in very good cosmetic condition and drove good for the little I drove it.

I hope it is a bent valve. I am going to put compressed air in the cylinder when the valves are at overlap to see if the air is coming out the intake, exhaust or crankcase. But for tonight I said the heck with it and drank a bottle of wine while I racked six gallons more gallons waiting to be bottled.

This curmudgeon must of had his rose colored glasses on when I purchased this car. That does not happen to often. I thought it was such a good buy I did not want someone else to scoop it up. Good thing my labor is cheap.

If I suspect a bent valve I guess I will pull the head and check the piston deck height to make sure I don't have a bent rod. I have a buddy with on old sioux valve grinder so I think I will do the head myself. Its been a while since I ground valves. But like I mention my labor is cheap.

Well for tonight there may be some that drink more than me but no buddy will get any drunker....

Last edited:

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I did notice you do a thorough job of getting all the right parts for whatever you plan to do. So I can see you doing a thorough job no matter what the problem and once you start putting the miles on a few hundred dollars here or there, who cares( edit: if its thousands might want to keep that wine under lock and key for a while).

Last edited: