BRM w/PD 140 Turbo and 150 Injectors

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Munsign and TDI817,
Good going!! You 2will be mighty pleased I suspect. Hope your planning to go to the TDI Fester. maybe we can meet up for aride and pint or two after.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Munisign and TDI817, what's the latest? Any dyno numbers? How are the cars running?

I'm running my PD 150 injectors with PP 1043 nozzles. Dyno a week from Saturday and will post the result. So far the new nozzles have improved the overall linear effect I experienced before but maybe more so. It'll be interesting to see the new numbers although on a different dyno.

TDI817

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2018 Golf-R
TDI817's BRM

Munisign and TDI817, what's the latest? Any dyno numbers? How are the cars running?
I'm running my PD 150 injectors with PP 1043 nozzles. Dyno a week from Saturday and will post the result. So far the new nozzles have improved the overall linear effect I experienced before but maybe more so. It'll be interesting to see the new numbers although on a different dyno.
I'm currently searching for a buyer for my PD140 turbo, Its bran new, never installed still in the box.

I spent Lots of money on Race 783 injectors having them mounted and calibrated and then after I found out they are too much for a PD140 turbo.

So I'm going to buy a GT2056 wastgated turbo, I just cant decide between water cooled or not. (I like the water cooled option because with out an EGR system I have nothing to help with warm up. I also like it because my 1000Watt frostheater will warm up the water cooled turbo too!)

Not much progress has been made with my car, the SB stage 2 endurance clutch is installed with 14lbs single mass flywheel. I've got about 10,000km on the new clutch (6,250MI) and its just recently started this weird squealing sound, Metal on Metal sound. Like squeaky brakes. but only as the clutch is slowly engaging. If i'm quicker with the clutch it wont squeak but it will be a jerky ride. we have had about 3 weeks of rain and the problem started maybe 3 weeks ago.... And I've been replacing a lot of light bulbs lately Tail light, head light, licence plate light, side marker light. all within 2 weeks.

Anyway I've got enough military commitments to keep me busy/away from home until at least February/March time frame.

So far my parts shelf has on it:
PD140 turbo with smart actuator (ID parts)
2.5" SS down pipe (ID parts)
2.5" SS cat-back exhaust (tectonics tuning)
BEW injectors (forum member) & R783's mounted & calibrated (ID parts & DBW)
0-30 PSI boost gauge & dual column gauge pod (New South)
PD150 intake manifold (forum member)
57MM race pipe (forum member)

I have a stage 2 frank06 cam shaft kit on order

I still need an EGT gauge & probe, and i've been saving my pennies for an LSD.

TDI817

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2018 Golf-R
BTW I forgot to ask how are you doing on the East cost Sootman? Hopefully you were not affected by the hurricane.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
BTW I forgot to ask how are you doing on the East cost Sootman? Hopefully you were not affected by the hurricane.
We got lucky with the storm and only lost power for 12 hours, but the winds were pretty amazing.

Man, you're really going full blast with the car. I decided to go with the Bosio 1043 Power Plus nozzles after speaking with DBW. From what I can tell my PD 150 injectors/nozzles were fine and in excellent shape, so in some ways I wish I stuck with them, but they were smokey at WOT even after Jeff pulled back a bunch of fuel. The PP's are less smokey. Maybe he'll add some fuel back at NEDD.

Because I have to use the car for work I'm trying not to go full out on upgrades (I did this on my last car). I certainly want to see how yours turns out. Keep posting when you have a chance.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I dont think nozzle swaps would be required to lower smoke on brand new PD150's? thats a tuning problem

munisign

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
Sootman & TDI817, I was off the grid for a while with children's health issues, but they are doing well now. I am driving my jetta tdi down from illinois to florida in the next few days. Car is running great. I will get a chance to calculate real interstate milage. when I get the car down to florida I'll get it dynoed. I am going to do a complete "Cup Car" build on a manual 2006 Jetta TDI when I find a good one. I think the PD BRM motor with the right injectors and the pd 140 turbo has superb midrange torgue that really lends itself to the manual, and will still do 45-48MPG on the highway. I'm going all the way with Jason doing a balance and blueprint engine rebuild and a 6 speed manual install. I had a 2009 Jetta TDI DSG Loyalty edition which I "Cup Car" 'd (F1 Tuning EDC17 170HP 285 FT/Lbs tune, Eibach/Koni FSD/Hotchkiss Sways, on 17"x8" Alleretta's shod with Goodyear 225/45/17" Euro F1's-with the 312mm GLI brake rotors, so I know how good these cars can be made to handle. It's the main reason VW chose the old markV chassis for their Cup Car SCCA Racing series. I gave the car to my Daughter, so it's stayed in the family. The car is very smooth and very fast over any type of roads, but I really prefer the PD torque and power characteristics. TDI817, I'm in the market for your pd 140 turbo if you haven't sold it. PM me if your interested. Sootman, sorry I couldn't
make the TDI fest to meet up with you. If your ever in or near Florida, it would be great if we could meet and try each others cars. I'll be calling you on some questions about your manual transmission tune.
Best Of Health To You All,
munisign

DASILVALEANDRO

TDI
2006 1.9 TDI BRM JETTA
Question about your former BRM!

Hi Sootman! :cool:
I really like your dyno results with your PD140 150cc BRM. I plan on purchasing a GTB1749V from darkside (equivalent to your PD140) along with 150 injectors.
How was your experience in terms of smoke? I plan on a Stg 4 Malone tune with dynamic idle and launch control with EGR delete.
I currently have a full 2.5" downpipe straight pipe setup with stage 2 stock BRM turbo with SACH vr6/G60 clutch kit.
Could you ellaborate on any issues you encountered in terms of camshaft or problems? How did you pass emissions? (Im in canada). I would like to have your setup and would like your experience first hand. I look forward to hearing from you! :D
Cheers.
I finally got around to running a dyno on my '06 BRM with an upgraded PD 140 turbo and PD 150 injectors and of course a tune from Jeff at RocketChip. Lots of people helped pull this together, my thanks to them all.
Rollin' the Coal:
http://external.ak.fbcdn.net/safe_i...4_3428501544318_3428472263586_61728_720_b.jpg
The dyno plot:

The car is wonderful to drive, a great mix of power and torque. They should have come this way.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
The GTB1749v we sell is not the same as the 'PD140' GT1646v. The PD140's are out of breath at 160hp on our dyno, the 1749's make from 195-205hp.

Just thought i would clear that up.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
sootman doesn't have the car any more but I was involved with the build so I'll fill in if I can.

That clutch will not hold a properly tuned BRM PD140 setup.

We worked with RocketChip on tuning revisions to bring down smoke. At WOT in 5th at 80 it would leave a gray haze. Certainly not rolling coal, but Sootman wanted to get rid of all smoke completely.

No camshaft problems. A turbo upgrade wouldn't affect the camshaft so I'm not sure what the question means.

Passing emissions is a locally specific thing, the car was in the USA in a state that does not have emissions inspections so there was no problem with a modified emission system. That being said the PD140 is compatible with all the stock emissions equipment so if you use a smart actuator you could still have all emissions system intact.