Show 'n' Shine results

Status
Not open for further replies.

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
SnowCub said:
I actually think the mods reduce your points. I removed the ashtray in my wagon because it's where I chose to route my usb input cable through, plus I removed my broken cupholder and never replaced it. I think those things hurt me in last year's Show and Shine.
That's what i meant. The 2 that won, (1st Place - GTDI4/2nd Place - Hamsterdiesel) appeared pretty stock in looks, and super clean. The golf that placed first, needs a serious drop, way too much 4x4 going on there. :D Both cars were spotless! GTDI4 didn't miss a square inch of his ride. That car looked like it was dipped in Armour All!

In my opinion, the 20th/337'd silver 2dr was badass!

My car was not as detailed compared to them, and looked tired due to the 289,000 i've racked up on it. Some paint wouldn't hurt either. :eek:

Pete

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Personally, I'd like to see a judging category for uniqueness and tastefulness of modifications. That 20th/337 GTD (as I'm calling it) was superb.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
With the low number of entries at the fests, either the grouping continues to be by chassis (with stock, mod, and radical models grouped together), or there are three classes and all models are pigeon-holed into one of these:

"Stock": as the car left (of should have left) the dealership. No accessories except those available from the dealer in the year the car was built. Start with 100 points and deductions are taken for deviations from this definition of factory stock. The Sprocket's grey B4V at this year's fest is a prime example. Judges should be the anal-retentives that worry if the tires are rotated so that the logos on the hub caps are aligned.
"Modified": as the car could have left the factory's concept or styling studio. Start with 50 points, add up to 50 for improvements, but deduct for detractions. Jettafock's A4 would fit this classification. Judges should be the artsy / fung-shui type.
"Radical": anything goes. Start with zero points and add up to 100. The Corrado TDI. Judges should be the freaks and un-inhibited.
Best in Show would be selected by another judge that would evaluate only the three class winners selected in the first round, or the People's Choice could continue.

My opinion is that such a stock-mod-rad classing should be considered, if for no other reason than to end the classes with just one or two cars entered.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
VeeDubTDI said:
Personally, I'd like to see a judging category for uniqueness and tastefulness of modifications. That 20th/337 GTD (as I'm calling it) was superb.
I agree 100% but I tell you I liked the Golf with the pickle caps for center caps on the steel wheels a LOT. It was the type of car I could see my friends build while at the same time my other friends would be building the 337 look alike.

As far as the classes go I'll leave that to the people that attend TDIFest more often then I do. Its your show and I'm just happy to have attended once. But I might suggest that you take a look at what similar size VW shows do. There is no sense in reinventing the wheel.

Last edited:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I'm thinking Jonathan's probably on to something here - it may be time to rethink the classes.

Having classes with one or two vehicles does seem rather silly, but going purely to a stock/mod/rad setup might not work either - perhaps some hybrid of chassis and mod level?

I've shown my Jetta a grand total of two times - the '06 Fest and this year, and I thought it looked pretty good all shined up. Nevertheless, when I ticked the box to enter the show-and-shine, I had no illusions whatsoever that I'd win or even place (though I certainly hoped I might), so it was more of a "I'm going to be there anyway. Participating is, to me, part of the 'TDIFest Experience'(TM), so why not?" I put forth what for me was my best effort, but my "detailing experience" is pretty much limited to wiping the trunk drain channels and door edges clean, running the vacuum over the mats, and cleaning under the sunroof wind deflector.

That being said, when I looked at some of the other entries in my class I still felt a little inadequate. To put it a little less delicately, how many people took one look at JettaFock's or PeterV's cars and said to themselves, "there's no way on Earth I can compete with THAT, so why should I bother?"

How can we improve the show-and-shine so that we can get more folks to participate next time?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Rob Mayercik said:
How can we improve the show-and-shine so that we can get more folks to participate next time?
Free beer to those that show:eek: :p

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
G60ING said:
I agree 100% but I tell you I liked the Golf with the pickle caps for center caps on the steel wheels a LOT. It was the type of car I could see my friends build while at the same time my other friends would be building the 337 look alike.

Coming from you, I will take that compliment. seeing the kind of cars you make, that just makes me feel better about my silliness with the picklecaps.

You gotta cover the ugly nut in the center of the wheel, right? might as well have fun with it.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just want to know how you figured out what cap was the right size and did you put dirty caps that were the wrong size back in the fridge? My friend/passenger both liked that mod.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
they arent the perfect size, and need reduced in 4 places with a needlenose, but I have not lost one yet all summer.

actually spaghetti/smuckers jam jar lids fit as well but need the rolled lip inside flattened all the way around. I used two of these in the rear to space the pickle jar lids out enough to cover the factory dust cover since it sticks out past the steelie.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
Growler said:
they arent the perfect size, and need reduced in 4 places with a needlenose, but I have not lost one yet all summer.

actually spaghetti/smuckers jam jar lids fit as well but need the rolled lip inside flattened all the way around. I used two of these in the rear to space the pickle jar lids out enough to cover the factory dust cover since it sticks out past the steelie.
Sounds like we need a how-to with pics. :D

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
G60ING said:
Free beer to those that show:eek: :p
LoL...

First Place A4 Jetta (again!)

...and the 2nd Place A4 Golf (which beat this year's 1st Place Golf back in 2004...)

2004:

My guess is not enough Zaino this year (I got a late start...:eek: )

P.S. - I am a fan of the Pickle caps, too...:D ...nice color choice!

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
Here you have 3 winners:

A4 Golf, 2nd Place
New Beetle, 1st Place
A4 Jetta, 1st Place

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I like the Borbet Type E wheels on the Golf. I bought a set for My Wife's Passat. If you sell yours let me know I wouldn't mine having your 16s for my Corrado.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I meant extra points for mods... not a separate class... but an additional points category. Something in addition to Interior, Exterior, Under, Engine, Mileage. ;)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I happen to like the idea of moving to 3 classes... stock/mod/radical... it would step up the competition a bit.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Hamsterdiesel said:
...and the 2nd Place A4 Golf (which beat this year's 1st Place Golf back in 2004...)
There's no accounting for judge's tastes....
I was in a Saturday VW show in Lancaster PA several years back. About 50 cars total. There were three cars in my class. I didn't get first or second and there was no third.
The next day in CT, with over 350 air and water cooled VW's entered in that show, I took Best in Show.

Judges are fickle, and points are subjective. Don't sweat the lack of recognition if you don't win, don't get too proud of high placements when you do. Just have fun and use the day as an excuse to finally clean the car.:)

SnowWife

Veteran Member
TDI
E300 DT (sold), E320 CDI, Gassers
Lug_Nut said:
There's no accounting for judge's tastes....
I was in a Saturday VW show in Lancaster PA several years back. About 50 cars total. There were three cars in my class. I didn't get first or second and there was no third.
The next day in CT, with over 350 air and water cooled VW's entered in that show, I took Best in Show.

Judges are fickle, and points are subjective. Don't sweat the lack of recognition if you don't win, don't get too proud of high placements when you do. Just have fun and use the day as an excuse to finally clean the car.:)
What are you saying about our judges? :eek: Did you try buying any of them lol j/k. ;)

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
Lug_Nut said:
...Judges are fickle, and points are subjective. Don't sweat the lack of recognition if you don't win, don't get too proud of high placements when you do. Just have fun and use the day as an excuse to finally clean the car.:)
AMEN!;)

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
Lug_Nut said:
QFT. It's just a shame more folks don't view it this way.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
tomo366 said:
TDI Club is not VW Vortex.........;)
Lug_Nut said:
Don't sweat the lack of recognition if you don't win, don't get too proud of high placements when you do. Just have fun and use the day as an excuse to finally clean the car.:)
nuf said. but here's an additional thought to amplify the fun and participation.

maybe give some small gift to all participants - like a 2010 TDI Fest Commemorative PINT GLASS :)

that'd get the participant numbers up and get more people in on the fun!

charge $5 to enter the Show & Shine (more than break even on the cost of the pint glasses) and charge $15 for the pint glasses to anyone else that wants one - as a fundraiser for TDIclub.

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
Great idea! I'll take a TDI Fest Commemorative Pint Glass at $15.00! Hope to see them next year! That idea belongs in the thread "Ideas for next year's Fest"!
Kristina

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
petea4 said:
Please explain..........
The Vortex is a very different world then the TDI Club where Being Low is taken to the extreme (the most popular saying is that you ain't dubbin if you ain't rubbin) or you are a BBS RS/RM wheel lover. I hate rubbing and I hate cleaning wheels so I would never own BBS RSs even though I love how they look. Where that puts me is that I'm too mild for the vortex even though I like being lowered and somewhat showy. In the TDI world some mod their cars so they can get more ground clearnace. In the TDI world I think I might be considered too extreme for most even though I eat breath and sleep diesels in my cars now. I'm a CCAer (Corrado Club of America) member 190(still have my card) but since the Site has been very dead for the past 8 years I have been hanging else where. I like walking the edge of both worlds.

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

Lots of classes are great for a large entry list... if it's large enough to break the groups into stock, mod, a wild. But our group was likely too small for such division. As was already mentioned, JUDGED events are normally won with a car that's clean, clean, CLEAN! Mods may or may not help. But, even in a modded class, a mod won't help if it's installation is not CLEAN.

Unlike most VW shows, I appreciate the fact that odometer readings are a factor with the overall score at TDI Fest. I remember winning the A2/A3 Stock Class at the 2000 Big Bug Shootout in Ennis, TX. Folks were saying, "Of course your car looks good. It's only two years old." This came from a guy with a beautiful '92 Jetta with only 8800-kms (he garaged it and drove it ONLY to shows). My response was, "Check out my odometer... the car has 75,000 miles, I drove over 850 miles to get here, then cleaned it to what you see here today." He was unimpressed.

Some folks take the shows WAY too seriously. Knowing that, it's kinda funny to see what we autocrossers call, "protest weenies." ;) My favorite protests come from those with fantastic paint, a hood that's opened just 10-degrees to hide the dirty engine bay, and an interior with debris on the carpet. They really don't like to hear that their odds of winning would increase if they take the time to clean the WHOLE car. :D

FWIW, my main reasons for entering a car show: 1) To support the efforts of the hosting organization, 2) to pimp a TDI in a crowd dominated by dropped gassers, and (most important) 3) to get a great parking spot!

Scott

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Rice is for Honduhs. ;)

I happen to like quite a bit of stuff that's on Vortex. Of course there are some over-the-top cars... it's all about what you like. No need to bash someone else's taste in mods. :p

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
VeeDubTDI said:
Rice is for Honduhs. ;)

I happen to like quite a bit of stuff that's on Vortex. Of course there are some over-the-top cars... it's all about what you like. No need to bash someone else's taste in mods. :p

Yes there is! ;) :cool: :rolleyes:

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
Like we bash someone else's taste in big red retro cars...:p

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
BTW - We did institute a $5 'cover' charge for entering the Show n Shine to help generate extra funds needed to supply better than average awards.

I do like the idea of getting something 'commemorative' from the show, though. I'll have to see what the additional cost would be. The question is would a show fee of say $15-20 deter anyone from entering?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.