any/all extended cranking time causes?

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
other than the starter, what would cause extened cranking time on a AHU tdi? i'm mostly concerned with fuel delivery problems. it gets much worse as the engine heats up and takes at least 4hrs to go away (as much as it ever does)
thanks for the help

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
It starts easily when cold and not hot?

(1) anti-shutter valve sticking
(2) starter motor
(3) battery
(4) If 99.5 car, programming issue.

That what was on the top of my head.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
well it's a 97, so i don't think it has an anti-shudder valve and won't have the programming issues.
i have double checked the starter and the battery just in case but i know it pretty much has to be fuel delivery, possibly something in the IP but there are no codes.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
luckily i have the clear tube from the filter to the IP so i can see the fuel and i don't have air bubbles, the timing was retarded but i adjusted it and the problem remained. the ECT sensor i'll have to look into. i've been searching around and a lot of people have had success with disconnecting it. i figure that if it works, it's not a physical problem.
it started with bad fuel (water, rust and god only knows what). what in the IP could get plugged od screwed up by this?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Bad fuel? Now we get the Paul Harvey version.

Yes, another cause of hard starts is an injection pump trashed by watery, rusty fuel.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
but there are no codes and no other issues. it was only 1 gal of bad fuel and the tank was emptied soon after. i have cleaned the top of the IP and the rust wasn't all that bad. either way i need to find the problem.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
With the extremely close tolerances in the injection pump, ANY rust in there is bad. If you can see it, it's bad.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
megaladon6 said:
luckily i have the clear tube from the filter to the IP so i can see the fuel and i don't have air bubbles, the timing was retarded but i adjusted it and the problem remained. the ECT sensor i'll have to look into. i've been searching around and a lot of people have had success with disconnecting it. i figure that if it works, it's not a physical problem.
it started with bad fuel (water, rust and god only knows what). what in the IP could get plugged od screwed up by this?
How did you end up with bad fuel and how did you know?

That sucks...

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
no offense, but unless you've got a way to test the IP, that doesn't really help me. that's why i'm trying to find any and all specific causes for my problems. i've been going nuts trying to fix this but so far nothing has worked, but at least it hasn't gotten worse.

Last edited:

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
How did you end up with bad fuel and how did you know?
cutting it down to the basics, at some point in the past i must not have been sure i'd make it to the pump so i put home heating oil in my emergency container, then after it sat for a few months i put it in my car. about 40mi later i started having problems, filled up, bypassed the fuel filter to diagnosis the problem, and it's had problems since.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
it's just that i can't afford to throw $1000 at it unless i KNOW that that's the problem. i appreciate the help, but just saying that rust is bad isn't a solution.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
If it's heat related, that would mean it isn't air in the system. Otherwise, it'd get worse as it got cold (longer time).

Why do you believe it isn't a starter motor issue? If it doesn't turn quickly enough, the ecu won't give the ip the signal to pump. It needs the speed to get fuel.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
the engine turns over more than fast enough, and it happened with the bad fuel. plus there's a minor power loss that comes in when the engine heats up that started at the same time. and just in case i had tested the batt and starter.