Adblue reset light on after filling

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I usually let VW do this when they service my car, but I forgot to tell them to do it while I had my phase 2 done. It wasn't done with either one of them, so my reminder light came on. I finally put almost 5 gallons of adblue in my car, and the light still stays on.

I tried just leaving the car on for 2 minutes (just pressing start button w/o brake pushed), leaving off for 10 minutes, then turning it back on, but it still says 1000 miles left of adblue.

I read I may need a scanner to reset it? Is there any other way, other than visiting a dealer? I figured i'd try to save some $$ to do it myself, so hopefully I won't need to buy a vcsd scanner if I don't have to.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
One thing apparently, you must fill the DEF tank when the car is on level ground. Shouldn't be a problem in Florida, lol.

Second, unless I'm wrong you are also supposed to turn on the ignition and then wait for about 30 seconds after filling the tank before starting the engine.

I always do my own and never have a problem.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Our daughter bought DEF that was bad from a WalMart once, and despite a full fill, it never registered. Drain and refill, all was fine. Not common to get a bad jug, but definitely possible . . .

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
DEF does not like heat and does have a shelf life.

Also when ever I've filled, warning instantly goes away, next restart.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
One thing apparently, you must fill the DEF tank when the car is on level ground. Shouldn't be a problem in Florida, lol.

Second, unless I'm wrong you are also supposed to turn on the ignition and then wait for about 30 seconds after filling the tank before starting the engine.

I always do my own and never have a problem.

I actually filled it while on my driveway, which is on an incline.

Our daughter bought DEF that was bad from a WalMart once, and despite a full fill, it never registered. Drain and refill, all was fine. Not common to get a bad jug, but definitely possible . . .

Thanks, nice to know that for future references.

I did turn the car on after about 2 mins, after pressing the start button. I read 60 seconds is the actual time, but was told to wait 90 seconds to be on the safe side.

This morning I started my car up and the light went away, so it looks like I'm good now. Thanks everyone.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just want to add my .02 once more.
Instead of buying DEF at Walmart or other store, buy a brand new 2 gallon gas can and fill that at any big truck stop. About $ 2.79 a gallon.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just want to add my .02 once more.
Instead of buying DEF at Walmart or other store, buy a brand new 2 gallon gas can and fill that at any big truck stop. About $ 2.79 a gallon.

I'll do you one better, buy the 2.5 gal jug at wallyworld for $12, then just refill it at your truck stop ;) Save you from buying that $20 fuel can.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll do you one better, buy the 2.5 gal jug at wallyworld for $12, then just refill it at your truck stop ;) Save you from buying that $20 fuel can.
I had bought one of those at an automotive store and found that the connection always leaked.:mad: The 2 gal. can cost me less than $ 8.00 and no leakage. It is also a more convenient shape than the storebought cube.
But to each his own.

national.realties97

TDI
2013 passat tdi sel
I too have an ad def light on that keeps resetting too 200 mile shut off after restart an after it was filled I have also had it at the shop three times with a reductant injector an failing heater core, any ideas.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I too have an ad def light on that keeps resetting too 200 mile shut off after restart an after it was filled I have also had it at the shop three times with a reductant injector an failing heater core, any ideas.
if your car gives you a “200 miles until no restart” message, you have a bad ”reductant level sensor”. The car is supposed to start counting at 1,500 miles. You need to replace the adblue heater unit. It has the level sensor built into it.

national.realties97

TDI
2013 passat tdi sel
The dealer has been very good about replacing things under the diesel gate warranty I've had absolutely no out of pocket expense, the heater core went out an was fixed for nothing, reductant injector twice an now a third time on that, an as you were saying the ad blue heater unit.

TheDutchers

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL

Hello. About a week ago I drove my father in-laws 2012 Passat TDI SEL from Tennessee to Colorado during the day. With two big boxes of adblue in the trunk. Would the heat have “killed” the adblue? Cuz the warning is on and the adblue is full. Also, the warning has come on before and says “200 miles till no restart” which I’ve read is a bad sensor.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
TheDutchers said:
Hello. About a week ago I drove my father in-laws 2012 Passat TDI SEL from Tennessee to Colorado during the day. With two big boxes of adblue in the trunk. Would the heat have “killed” the adblue? Cuz the warning is on and the adblue is full. Also, the warning has come on before and says “200 miles till no restart” which I’ve read is a bad sensor.
After the software update part of the emissions "fix" my TDI will occasionally display this warning. It only happens when traveling a longer distance continuously and both times it was colder ambient temperature and at >6000ft above sea level (snowboarding in Flagstaff). Once it reset on its own after a few restarts. Once I used an OBDII scanner to clear code and it didn't come back. Both times DEF tank has been at least >50% full. I did already have the adblue sensor unit and heater replaced under warranty before both of these times. IIRC there is something with the software that trips this and that there may not be a update that solves it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can't imagine a trip like that would do any harm comparted to normal shipping. if you left a jug out in the sun in +100F heat for 6 months that maybe more damaging.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
You have adblue in your tank all the time, no difference if it’s in your tank, trunk, or garage. I haven’t seen any actual reports of adblue having actually gone bad, has anyone seen this happen?

I fill mine at a large truck service center, they use a regular gas station fuel hose with auto shutoff. Very cheap, no mess, and they put it in for me. A tank lasts 15-20,000 kms, during Covid and since I retired, a tank has lasted me more than 1 year, maybe 1.5 years or more. No issues with bad adblue. Our weather is hot and cold, in Fahrenheit it’s 0 to 100F. Been using adblue since 2012, never had any bad adblue issues.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the mind set is, if you don't use it you lose it.

" The quality of DEF also is not affected if the fluid freezes. When stored under optimal conditions — between 12°F and 86°F — DEF has a shelf life of up to two years. If stored in warmer temperatures, shelf life decreases. "

I don't mind hording oil, but won't horde more than 2 - 2.5 gallon def jugs as that usually lasts us two years.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I have my car in Mexico for about six months and it does get pretty hot there but have never had a problem with the DEF fluid. I carry some spare too and store it inside the house where it's a bit cooler, since it is very hard to find in Mexico.