2015 Passat battery

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
The cables, the set I bought, the set the Mexican fellows had and the set my friend brought were/are all fairly thin. About 3/8" including insulation, rated at 600 amp.
So in other words not hefty enough for starting a Diesel.
Having said that, I did remember reading at one time running two sets of cables in parralell would work.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
When my oem battery went, the car was almost impossible to jumpstart with cables.... found a mechanic with a big pick-up truck and a high output alternator, and after 5-10 minutes could crank with a HEAVY set of cables..., outside temp was about 33°f/0°c. Car would not crank off his work van. Guessing a cell failed internally. Remove and replace...even a cheap local battery would be ok for a couple months till you drive North...then drop into someplace and get one.
In my case, the battery showed zero signs of failure and DID read good volts on a jump pack readout with a built-in voltmeter that I keep around (car sits for 2 weeks or more at a time at airports, so I keep it in the trunk since I already own it, and at supposedly 800 amps for cranking upto a 3L Diesel, it couldn't do it). When not parked at an airport on a trip, sometimes it stays home in a heated garage with a battery tender when I use a car service....but about 4 years and 55k on an OEM battery, and it was done.
Ironic...I almost swapped it out in the fall due to age, but it seemed to crank well on colder days, and had good numbers on a free test.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
My friends today brought my new H8-AGM battery down for me. It's a Duralast Platinum "Made in Germany", by whom I don't know now.
900 cranking amps at 0°
1000 cranking amps at 32°
90 amp hrs

Thank you all for helping me.

Over and out!