Passat 2.0tdi -11 dies/wont start/faultycodes

Hejeh

TDI
Passat 2.0TDI -11
Hey
So I had some major problems with my Passat last few days. When I try to start it, it starts, but immediately dies. I have managed to get the car started a few times, where it dies if I rev it sometimes. I have not been able to drive it. I suspect something is up with the ECU due to the following faulty codes:
P164000
P068A00
What I would like to know is, Is the ECU completely broken? Needs a replacement? Or can it be something else? I would like to be sure before I tow it to a workshop and spend $2500 on a replacement.
I have tried with another battery, that is much healthier than my current one. I have a video when I try to start it: Youtube In this video the engine doesn't even start though, but it usually does and after a second it dies.
Any help appreciated!

Hejeh

TDI
Passat 2.0TDI -11
I'd be hard to imagine it's the ecu, but P164 does point to ECU EEprom issue.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18048/P1640/005696

But this one may be the true culprit of the issue, check relay and fuses.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/P068A/001674

are you reading the codes with a VW specific scan tool?
I have checked the fuses, but they relays I have not, as I dont really know where they are located at..?

I have been getting the faulty codes from an OBD scanner from OBDeleven

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
that's a good VW scanner from what i've heard, relays should be by the fuses, just bigger blocks.

Hejeh

TDI
Passat 2.0TDI -11
Yeah, checked in that box, there were two relays in there iirc, might have been only 1 on second thought...

Anyhow, tried a bunch of stuff, but ended up towing it to a vw workshop this morning.

Hejeh

TDI
Passat 2.0TDI -11
Got it back from the workshop, they did not fix anything. They had the car inside their garage over the weekend and it worked after that. They told me they suspect the ECU had gotten moisture or wet and then dried up while it was inside.

Im not sure how to proceed. They weekend I will see if theres any drainage holes in the ECU compartement thats not working properly

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
crazy, best of luck. Is the car parked in a garage out of the elements?

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Maybe you can find someone nearby with the same car and borrow their ECU and see if it fixes your issue?