2006 Golf Hard Starting

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
OK, for the second time in about a month, I have had a hard time starting my 2006 Golf. First time I got back from an overseas trip, got to the airport lot at 11:30pm and went to start her up. Usually one turn of the key and she cranks right over (no matter what the temp outside). This time it tok about 5 minutes of repeated tries and ample peddle pumping to get her to kick over. Ran great after that, no other issues...........until this morning.

Got back from about 9 hours of driving around yesterday and I got home and parked her for the night. This morning, I went to turn her over and .....nothing! After about 2 minutes of trying to crank her over she started and ran great.

No smoke on either occasion and the car ran perfectly afterwards. The only piece of the puzzle that was close to the same on both occasions was that the fuel tank was at 1/4 or slightly less.

I have a feeling it maybe the lift pump, but I am not sure. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thank you.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
The lift pump is relatively easy to test and there are a few threads on the subject. You can check if it (a) has current, (b) is providing sufficient fuel output pretty simply. If pump isn't getting current, it's a wiring issue. If it is, but won't turn, the motor may be shot (difficult to obtain, but can be separately). If it pumps but weakly, the pickup screen may be clogged with dirt.

The other obvious thing may be a clogged fuel filter. If you can't remember even vaguely the last time you replaced the fuel filter, it would be a good idea to change it, and to perhaps also replace the thermostatic tee fitting into the filter (and the o-rings that seal it). Good luck!