Another greaser now a former greaser...

Rick Blalock

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Passat Wagon TDI
... but not due to mechanical reasons. I recently sold my heavily modified Greasecar kit to a friend with an 02 Golf. I had all the bases covered to insure that literally not a drop of cold oil ever saw the engine and even oil reports from Blackstone that were within perfect normal limits for the same engine on diesel fuel.

BUT, I am a senior chiropractic intern in St. Louis, beyond busy with morning classes and then clinic the rest of the day/evening. So when I found that my oil source recently switched to a major grease rendering service and started filling their dumpster with nasty brown grease instead of the really clear stuff they used to put in a drum for me, I figured it was time to sell it. My buddy was already looking to convert his Golf so I sold it to him for a price that was a good deal for both of us and helped him install it all and train him on the extreme importance of becoming anal about perfect practices in this hobby.

If I ever get back into the hobby, I will definitely just go the extra step to make biodiesel. I enjoyed the hobby but simple philosophy (Murphy's Law) will tell you that with more complexity added to a system, the more things can go wrong and the tougher it is to diagnose problems. I'll be graduating in December and moving to Colorado Springs and definitely won't need any potential repair bills for my engine in addition to my student loan payments, all while collecting a pittance since the gov't doesn't pay crap for their already existing health care system and probably the same with their new experiment.

I didn't want to hijack RobRidd's thread about de-kitting, but I did invest in some PP520s with a small portion of what I sold my kit for. I'm excited to finally be able to improve the performance of my car now that I can safely do so :)

Just like Rob said, I'm not looking for advice nor am I in need of any flaming; and yes, I know that I must have finally made a right decision... :D I got a good 35K miles of free fuel and as a student trying to save money on a long commute it couldn't have been a better hobby!

Rick

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5spd, 2014 Passat DSG
Awesome. Good luck in your new career and your new location.

One thing I'll never argue about when it comes to WVO. It's a time consuming process. Made harder with all the large rendering companies moving in.

Rick Blalock

Veteran Member
TDI
Drnknmnky13 said:
Awesome. Good luck in your new career and your new location.

One thing I'll never argue about when it comes to WVO. It's a time consuming process. Made harder with all the large rendering companies moving in.
Thank you, and that is so true about it being a time consuming process! I was fortunate enough to have an amazing Japanese restaurant oil source that changed their oil out when it started to look just a little bit dark; I can't even imagine how time consuming it is for the people who collect oil with animal fat and/or shortening. Not for me! I know I'm going to be paying a bit more for fuel now, but the more I see the issues the newer VW diesels have the more I feel fortunate to have the ALH and want to make it last a long time!

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Rick Blalock said:
Thank you, and that is so true about it being a time consuming process! I was fortunate enough to have an amazing Japanese restaurant oil source that changed their oil out when it started to look just a little bit dark; I can't even imagine how time consuming it is for the people who collect oil with animal fat and/or shortening. Not for me! I know I'm going to be paying a bit more for fuel now, but the more I see the issues the newer VW diesels have the more I feel fortunate to have the ALH and want to make it last a long time!
Animal fat and shortening make good summer biodiesel. :D

Pretty pitiful for winter, though. Gels at 35-40F...:eek:

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
You should definately go the biodiesel route. I've been doing it for almost 4 years now with positive results. Like anything else, it takes some time to learn the ropes, but it can be a great hobby.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Hey Rick, unrelated question: did your mom's Passat run out of washer juice again? I could not find any leaks, she said it would go empty on its own in a few days. :eek:

Rick Blalock

Veteran Member
TDI
oilhammer said:
Hey Rick, unrelated question: did your mom's Passat run out of washer juice again? I could not find any leaks, she said it would go empty on its own in a few days. :eek:
That is such a weird problem with her car. Hopefully its a former problem now because I asked her about it last night and she said that the low washer light hadn't yet come on. It was so strange before, we'd fill it up and a couple days later we would notice a blue puddle on the garage floor and the idiot light would chime at us... I'm not familiar with how the bottom of the reservoir is designed but all i can think of maybe some sort of hairline crack that doesn't leak when its warm outside.... yet the car is garaged so that still doesn't make much sense.. :confused: I'm banking on it being okay now because it hasn't dinged at us since ya did the oil pump a week ago, magic! lol