2006 TDI BRM "chatter" noise

Melnik

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9 BRM
I have a 2006 TDI Jetta, 398,000km, manual.

I've noticed a "chatter" noise at idle, and it speeds up with higher RPM. The noise doesn't change when the clutch is engaged or disengaged. I did the zip tie mod to my turbo actuator stop screw a few weeks back and the noise seemed to get a bit louder. My m:confused:ilage or power hasn't been effected, I'm just curious as to what the sound could be. should I be worried ??

The noise has been present for a few months, but its slowly getting louder.

Just from my research i'm thinking it could be serpentine belt or serpentine belt tensioner, alternator pulley or alternator.

any feedback is welcome. I don't currently have a video, nor can I find a similar video anywhere.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Disconnect the Serpentine belt temporarily to see if the noise goes away. The chattering of a bad flywheel is on the driver's side so it should more localized there.

Melnik

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9 BRM
It ended up being a bad cam. Cam was supposedly replaced be previous owner, and looked good upon inspection by my local TDI mechanic, but 40,000km later i have a small hole in one of my lifters. Im getting a new camshaft kit installed this week. Unfortunately i have a lot of driving to do in the mean time. guess ill just be taking it easy on the throttle until then.