NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
If this ends up being the solution, I wonder if the exteneded warranty runs with the car mileage or is it 100,000 miles from when the new hpfp is installed?
Ask those with 01M transmissions, DMF issues, balance shaft issues, cam wear, glow plugs, etc. how VW treated them with known engineering problems. To think VW is going to extend warranties is folly based on past performance. One year from now, this conversation will be very, very different for 09 and 10 owners, as miles start to accumulate.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
if NHTSA decide that this is a safety concern (IMHO it is), than VW will be forced to replace the pump with a proven better one or buy back and scrap, i don't see any other option. Again, this scenario only if NHTSA decide that this is a safety concern.

Now, if NHTSA decide that the hpfp is a problem but not a safety concern, could they force VW to take any actions, like extending the warranty or replacing the pumps?

Last edited:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Ask those with 01M transmissions, DMF issues, balance shaft issues, cam wear, glow plugs, etc. how VW treated them with known engineering problems. To think VW is going to extend warranties is folly based on past performance. One year from now, this conversation will be very, very different for 09 and 10 owners, as miles start to accumulate.
They are showing up pretty regularly now on places like eBay with 100,000. We had one post here where a guy was looking at one with 200,000.

It all depends on what the problem was. Maybe there was random contamination issues with the coating process. Anyone who works in manufacturing knows how this can happen. Now that would be on Bosch.

I agree with your point about past performance.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
If you average out the hpfp failures that turn up here on the tdiclub,it averages out to between 7 and 8 per month. Not exactly a "handful" of failures. To date there have been no serious injuries caused by a driver that had a hpfp failure. I'm not sure where the NHSTA can go with this investigation if no saftey concerns exist.

When we were kids in NYC and needed a traffic light, the only time the city put one up was one someone was killed at the intersection.

Unfort, this will be the case with a recall on the HPFP. It won't happen until a truck rear ends someone (or a family) and kills them all because the HPFP imploded and the drive couldn't get off the highway in time.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
When we were kids in NYC and needed a traffic light, the only time the city put one up was one someone was killed at the intersection.

Unfort, this will be the case with a recall on the HPFP. It won't happen until a truck rear ends someone (or a family) and kills them all because the HPFP imploded and the drive couldn't get off the highway in time.
This can and does happen with every single car on the roads today.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
If HPFP is a significant problem, wouldn't we expect to see dozens of postings from owners unloading their cars? I would like to see postings from drivers with HPFP failure reporting whether is covered as a warranty repair by VW.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
If HPFP is a significant problem, wouldn't we expect to see dozens of postings from owners unloading their cars? I would like to see postings from drivers with HPFP failure reporting whether is covered as a warranty repair by VW.
Where have you been for the last 15 months?????:rolleyes:

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
I was sort of hoping VW would contact me and offer me a 2012 Passat tdi to test for them since I have a 100 percent failure rate with the two CR's I had. LOL! I'd be the perfect owner to do a durability test on the fuel system.

With the Problems you had, they should GIVE you a 2012 Passat TDI to KEEP!

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI

This can and does happen with every single car on the roads today.
But in this case it will be related to the HPFP imploding and followed by a major lawsuit to VW and Bosch.
There are many safety related recalls that were initiated and no one was killed. Most recently the fuel line damper recall. How about the DSG temperature sensor, "false neutral" recall. I don't recall anyone being killed to get VW to do these "safety" recalls. How many "false neutrals" and leaky fuel lines were there? It's not how many had the issue or whether someone was injured or killed due to the issue, it's about the potential for something bad to happen.

As I see it, VW cannot blame anyone but themselves for the fuel line vibration issue or the faulty crimp connector on the temperature sensor and hence the recalls noted above. However, on the HPFP issue, VW is blaming the poor quality of US fuel (not meeting spec.) as the underlying causes of most of the HPFP failures. So, whether someone is killed or not when a HPFP fails apparently is moot to VW (since it's not safety related in their eyes) even though there lawyers might have to handle an extra law suit or two each year. This is rather small when compared to the cost of having to replace several hundred thousand HPFPs with a newly designed pump.

After looking at the fuel surveys submitted to NHTSA, the average quality of US fuel meets spec. But the variablility in retail fuel samples with respect to lubricity is significant to the extent that many samples (13%) were above the 520 micron wear scar standard for lubricity. There is plenty of evidence (by Bosch and others) that lubricity above 520 causes shortened life and can lead to catastrophic failure of the HPFP.

Also, and perhaps the most important aspect as I see it, is with respect to safety, whether VW should have designed a pump that operates reliably (does not cause a car to stall while driving) on the fuel that the consumer routinely purchases. Is it good enough to design a pump that runs on spec. fuel only or should the design take into consideration "real world" conditions for lubricity and other factors when safety is of concern? It appears that VW / Bosch have made at least 3 revisions to the HPFP to make it more "robust." This is an indication that VW / Bosch recognized issues early on and attempted to correct them. In addition, the new Denso pump touted by VW / Denso seems to address concerns with the Bosch HPFP design when operated on "poor quality fuel."

I doubt the NHTSA upgraded the investigation to a EA if they believed the HPFP issue was not a safety concern. Time will tell. Per NHTSA:

The United States Code for Motor Vehicle Safety
(Title 49, Chapter 301) defines motor vehicle safety
as “the performance of a motor vehicle or motor
vehicle equipment in a way that protects the public
against unreasonable risk of accidents occurring
because of the design, construction, or performance
of a motor vehicle, and against unreasonable risk
of death or injury in an accident, and includes
nonoperational safety of a motor vehicle.” A defect
includes “any defect in performance, construction,
a component, or material of a motor vehicle or motor
vehicle equipment.” Generally, a safety defect is
defined as a problem that exists in a motor vehicle or
item of motor vehicle equipment that:
- poses a risk to motor vehicle safety, and
- may exist in a group of vehicles of the same design
or manufacture, or items of equipment of the same
type and manufacture.​

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
There are many safety related recalls that were initiated and no one was killed. Most recently the fuel line damper recall. How about the DSG temperature sensor, "false neutral" recall. I don't recall anyone being killed to get VW to do these "safety" recalls. How many "false neutrals" and leaky fuel lines were there? It's not how many had the issue or whether someone was injured or killed due to the issue, it's about the potential for something bad to happen.
My only point is the possibility of a fuel pump failure is a part of every car on the road.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Where have you been for the last 15 months?????:rolleyes:
While I have seen postings from owners with HPFP failure, I don't remember seeing multiple postings about owners unloading their TDIs because they were concerned about failure. And I haven't seen anything in the auto press (car and driver, Road and track, etc) warning purchasers to stay away from VW diesels. Maybe you have?

I can only remember a few postings (from a year ago) about difficulties dealing with VW over warranty repairs. So it appears that the failures now are being handled as a warranty problem by VW and not as a result of misfuel.

I wouldn't be happy to have an HPFP failure that was not covered by VW. But the number of reported failures on this website are probably less than 1% of all cars sold.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
if i remember correctly, one of the thing NHTSA is asking VW is what kind of fuel test they made and what were the results BEFORE selling the car...if they (VW) knew that in 13% or whatever it is of the cases fuel at the pump was above the minimum lubricity required by the pump to work correctly, then VW is to blame to have sold a vehicle that couldn't run with the fuel that it is available on the market.
On the other end, in the (not very probable) case that VW has made no test but made a pump that was built to work with the current US standard, then VW is not to blame

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
My only point is the possibility of a fuel pump failure is a part of every car on the road.
I understand what people are saying but there seems to be confusion on what constitutes a "safety defect" and the subject of a recall vs a "random" failure of a part that could also result in injury / death or a law suit.

A safety defect is defined at the bottom of my previous post. Every pump failure is not a safety defect. Every brake failure is not a safety defect. Injury / death or law suits are not prerequisites for a recall / safety defect. This thread is about VW HPFP failures that may or may not be deemed a safety defect by NHTSA.

It would seem to me that a vehicle stalling while driving due to a failure of a fuel pump "poses a risk to motor vehicle safety." But, do such failures "exist in a group of vehicles of the same design or manufacture, or items of equipment of the same type and manufacture." Hence, I believe this is what needs to be shown in the EA phase of NHTSA investigation. But, again the question in my mind is does "poor quality fuel" get VW off the hook.:D

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
Seen *that* one before. Having said that, there's probably a lot of discussion about whether the production parts actually meet the specification that was set out for them. We'll never know - the only thing for sure is that this kind of discussion is not pleasant.

What party is ultimately responsible will be dictated by the supply agreemnet between Bosch and VW. Granted, VW takes the brunt of it as the 'manufacturer' of the regulated end product, the car. Vis a vis Bosch and VW I guarantee you that the supply agreement addresses faults, defects, and the like. I'm sure there are plenty of workgroups with both VW and Bosch personnel looking into this problem and lots of communication between upper-level management and legal personnel.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I understand what people are saying but there seems to be confusion on what constitutes a "safety defect" and the subject of a recall vs a "random" failure of a part that could also result in injury / death or a law suit.
Right now, as far as we know the facts, the HPFP failing are quite random. As I've noted a few times. Read about how many pump failures Chevy is having with the Equinox.

A safety defect is defined at the bottom of my previous post. Every pump failure is not a safety defect. Every brake failure is not a safety defect. Injury / death or law suits are not prerequisites for a recall / safety defect. This thread is about VW HPFP failures that may or may not be deemed a safety defect by NHTSA.
In the end it might be. I'm simply saying that one should not count in it simply because a failure will lead you stranded.

It would seem to me that a vehicle stalling while driving due to a failure of a fuel pump "poses a risk to motor vehicle safety." But, do such failures "exist in a group of vehicles of the same design or manufacture, or items of equipment of the same type and manufacture." Hence, I believe this is what needs to be shown in the EA phase of NHTSA investigation. But, again the question in my mind is does "poor quality fuel" get VW off the hook.:D
To look at it another way.....VW recalled the fuel lines. It was shown that this could cause a fire. If VW had decided that these lines were failing because of poor fuel quality, they would still have to recall.

If it's determined that something that fails in every single car is failing, I can not see the NHTSA seeing it as a safety issue.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
What party is ultimately responsible will be dictated by the supply agreemnet between Bosch and VW. Granted, VW takes the brunt of it as the 'manufacturer' of the regulated end product, the car. Vis a vis Bosch and VW I guarantee you that the supply agreement addresses faults, defects, and the like. I'm sure there are plenty of workgroups with both VW and Bosch personnel looking into this problem and lots of communication between upper-level management and legal personnel.
I'm sure you are correct about what the various groups are doing. If those resources were applied on an engineering fix, this company would get a big gold star. Instead we get the typical deny/delay/shuffle blame response that certainly spewed from an MBA type mind, and not an engineer's. Just fix it already, it is not that hard. Or tell us that is fixed, if that is the case..

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Right now, as far as we know the facts, the HPFP failing are quite random. As I've noted a few times. Read about how many pump failures Chevy is having with the Equinox.

In the end it might be. I'm simply saying that one should not count in it simply because a failure will lead you stranded.

To look at it another way.....VW recalled the fuel lines. It was shown that this could cause a fire. If VW had decided that these lines were failing because of poor fuel quality, they would still have to recall.

If it's determined that something that fails in every single car is failing, I can not see the NHTSA seeing it as a safety issue.
Correct, the whole point is that this NHTSA investigation is not about being left stranded. It's about safety.

1) According to VW (the people who should know the facts), the HPFPs are failing because of poor fuel quality. This is not a random failure. It's due to poor fuel quality per VW.

2) A potential fire is a safety issue. A potential accident is a safety issue. That doesn't necessarily mean that recalls are issued for all possible causes of fires or accidents. That's why NHTSA investiges such potential safety issues to see if there is a cause applicable to all or a subset of cars. As I recall there was one minor accident reported to NHTSA when the owner's HPFP failed.

3) Equinox failures are not material to this (a quick search didn't bring up anything I thought was material to safety). In fact, the Equinox is not mentioned as being part of the peer group in GM's response to NHTSA. Does GM put diesel engines in Equinoxes? We are talking about stalling while driving, not fuel in oil due to a leaking HPFP seal (the only thing I could find on HPFP problems on the Equinox.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Correct, the whole point is that this NHTSA investigation is not about being left stranded. It's about safety.

1) According to VW (the people who should know the facts), the HPFPs are failing because of poor fuel quality. This is not a random failure. It's due to poor fuel quality per VW.
Yes, O.K., I see what you are saying here.

2) A potential fire is a safety issue. A potential accident is a safety issue. That doesn't necessarily mean that recalls are issued for all possible causes of fires or accidents. That's why NHTSA investiges such potential safety issues to see if there is a cause applicable to all or a subset of cars. As I recall there was one minor accident reported to NHTSA when the owner's HPFP failed.
Sure, I'm simply saying I doubt very seriously that the NHTSA will force a recall simply because the car could break down someplace you would rather it not.

If this was the case, all cars could get recalled.

3) Equinox failures are not material to this (a quick search didn't bring up anything I thought was material to safety). In fact, the Equinox is not mentioned as being part of the peer group in GM's response to NHTSA. Does GM put diesel engines in Equinoxes? We are talking about stalling while driving, not fuel in oil due to a leaking HPFP seal (the only thing I could find on HPFP problems on the Equinox.
My point wasn't about this particular case. It's about pumps failing and the likelyhood of the NHTSA forcing a recall because of that as it related to safety. It's IMO low to non existant.

The potential safety issue is the same whether it's a HPFP or a RUG electric fuel pump.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
The randomness of the failures is mostly inconsequential, as one has to assume that poor fuel quality will be fairly randomly distributed across the country. As was mentioned by someone already, ANY vehicle can experience a fuel pump or other component failure leading to a crash. These failures may be related to normal rates of wear, manufacturing flaws, lack of maintenance, etc. These failures cannot reasonably be classified as controllable safety defects. These are general risks associated with the operation of a motor vehicle.

The key point in all of this is whether or not the failures of this critical component in the powertrain fall outside statistical norms for vehicles. There is plenty of data that can be made available on rates of failures for vehicles in various use applications at various mileage ranges. If the HPFP in the CR TDIs are failing at...let's say 10x the rate of other similar systems, one would have to suspect either an engineering flaw or a manufacturing flaw somewhere in the system (not necessarily the HPFP). This is one aspect of what the NHTSA is attempting to determine in their engineering analysis. So, if failures fall outside statistical ranges, then it could be classified as a legitimate safety concern.

The whole "let's blame poor fuel quality" bandwagon is ridiculous! Pumps must be (there is no question here) designed to withstand the expected range of fuel qualities that may be seen. So, if we control for user error (mis-fueling with gas), we would expect that failure rates should be similar to failure rates in other common rail diesel fuel systems.

As was also pointed out, an injury or death is not a pre-requisite for a recall. The injection lines were recalled due to an engineering failure and the DSG temp sensor was recalled due to a manufacturing mistake.

Last edited:

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Sure wish someone would offer for sale Super Eurospec Diesel with guaranteed less than 280 micron wear scar ratings on the fuel, or that ASTM would change the lubricity standards on D975 diesel D2 spec fuel to a much lower wear scar rating under 300 microns. Then the owners would have options. Then when the pump dies and has $8000 in damage to the whole fuel system, they can't blame misfueling or poor quality fuel.

Too much collateral damage with this design when a HPFP fails. Has to qualify as a defective design.

Last edited:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
The randomness of the failures is mostly inconsequential, as one has to assume that poor fuel quality will be fairly randomly distributed across the country. As was mentioned by someone already, ANY vehicle can experience a fuel pump or other component failure leading to a crash. These failures may be related to normal rates of wear, manufacturing flaws, lack of maintenance, etc. These failures cannot reasonably be classified as controllable safety defects. These are general risks associated with the operation of a motor vehicle.

The key point in all of this is whether or not the failures of this critical component in the powertrain fall outside statistical norms for vehicles. There is plenty of data that can be made available on rates of failures for vehicles in various use applications at various mileage ranges. If the HPFP in the CR TDIs are failing at...let's say 10x the rate of other similar systems, one would have to suspect either an engineering flaw or a manufacturing flaw somewhere in the system (not necessarily the HPFP). This is one aspect of what the NHTSA is attempting to determine in their engineering analysis. So, if failures fall outside statistical ranges, then it could be classified as a legitimate safety concern.

The whole "let's blame poor fuel quality" bandwagon is ridiculous! Pumps must be (there is no question here) designed to withstand the expected range of fuel qualities that may be seen. So, if we control for user error (mis-fueling with gas), we would expect that failure rates should be similar to failure rates in other common rail diesel fuel systems.

As was also pointed out, an injury or death is not a pre-requisite for a recall. The injection lines were recalled due to an engineering failure and the DSG temp sensor was recalled due to a manufacturing mistake.
In your example, IMO the HPFP would be recalled if found beyond normal failure rates also as a mistake or engineering failure as opposed to a safety issue.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Sure wish someone would offer for sale Super Eurospec Diesel with guaranteed less than 280 micron wear scar ratings on the fuel, or that ASTM would change the lubricity standards on D975 diesel D2 spec fuel to a much lower wear scar rating under 300 microns. Then the owners would have options. Then when the pump dies and has $8000 in damage to the whole fuel system, they can't blame misfueling or poor quality fuel.

Too much collateral damage with this design when a HPFP fails. Has to qualify as a defective design.
They do.

Introducing our new B5 Syndiesel (R). This is the new spec fuel for the VW Jetta TDI Cup and it's available ONLY AT HYPERFUELS!!!

But at over $10 a gallon, I don't think anyone is going to be buying it as a primary fuel for their car.

T Girl

TDI
11 JSW 6sp man
OK everyone got my car back Monday. They kept it 7 days. Here is what was on my invoice:

" 20560 11.30 found metal debris in high pressure pump and fuel system, fault p0087, high pressure pump separated internally contacted vw tech support for information on vehicle concern, sent pictures and gff log to vw tech support sent fuel sample and high pressure pump out for testing, recommended to replace fuel system, replaced fuel tank, fuel pump in tank, secondary fuel pump, high pressure fuel pump, all fuel lines from tank to injectors, replaced fuel injectors and fuel rail, replaced fuel filter housing, adapted fuel injectors to ecm, performed fuel system bleed with scan tool at least 3 times, cleared fault and sent log online, road tested vehicle for operation and performance-test good. mileage 20569."

Parts list as follows:

1 03L-130-301 PIPE
4 059-130-216-C PLATE
2 N-911-316-01 BOLT
1 1K0-127-400-K FUELFILTER
1 1K0-201-293-D PIPE
1 1KO-201-294-C PIPE
1 1K0-919-050-AB FUEL UNIT
1 5NO-906-129-B FUEL PUMP
1 1K0-130-307-BG PIPE
1 1K0-200-059-BH PIPE
1 03L-130-089 FUEL DISTR
1 03L-130-321 PIPE
1 5NO-130-307-J PIPE
1 1KO-130-307-BJ HOSE
1 03L-201-360-G FUEL LINE
1 1K0-919-133-D WASHER
1 1KO-201-060-GP TANK
4 03L-103-113 COVER
1 4A0-820-199 TIE WRAP
1 03L-919-824-C TEMPSENDER
4 WHT-000-884 SEAL
2 5N0-906-221 MOUNTING
1 03L-130-235-S PIPE
4 03L-130-277-A INJECTUNIT
1 03L-130-301-B PIPE
1 03L-130-301-C PIPE
1 0SL-130-301-R PIPE
1 03L-130-755-A PUMP
1 WHT-002-244 NUT
8 N-904-465-02 NUT
3 N-911-803-01 BOLT

The car seems to be much more robust than before, even when new. I conclude the pump was defective from day one? Maybe just my imagination as it was probably just diminishing in its performance curve over the last 10k miles. Seems to be performing well at this point!

I hope all this information will help others....

T Girl

TDI
11 JSW 6sp man
I checked my complaint on NHTSA and they screwed up my complaint. Concerning the component that failed they have this: "Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE" I sent them a note to correct the mistake. If not corrected my complaint will not be counted with all the other HPFP complaints. I have in the body of the complaint that the car is diesel. Just goes to show they are not reading them or they could have figured out I don't have a gasoline powered vehicle. Our government hard at work........for us?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I checked my complaint on NHTSA and they screwed up my complaint. Concerning the component that failed they have this: "Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE" I sent them a note to correct the mistake. If not corrected my complaint will not be counted with all the other HPFP complaints. I have in the body of the complaint that the car is diesel. Just goes to show they are not reading them or they could have figured out I don't have a gasoline powered vehicle. Our government hard at work........for us?
Classic hpfp failure and parts list. There are a good number of DIESEL hpfp failures that have been misfiled as GASOLINE in the NHSTA info.

As far as ''running better than ever'' with the replaced fuel system I also noticed this on my wifes 09 Sedan. Not sure why it felt like that.

T Girl

TDI
11 JSW 6sp man
Someone asked me to get the model number from the new pump. It takes a mirror and you have to read updide down and backward so here is the info on the bottom of the pum taking into account the fore mentioned. I don't know which of this is the model number so here is everything off the bottome of the pump as it appears on the ID tag:

BOSCH 515
0445 010 508
CR/CP4S1/R35/20
03L 130 7755A
BPY070757
Made in Czech Republic