Hella Headlight Washer Retrofit Kit on a Jetta

Mike Solo

TDI
None, 2004 R32
Bump. I have the washers & lines in place, when the car went into the body shop they spliced the stock wiring for the headlight pump, so the washers turn on every time you use the front or rear windshield washers, regardless of headlights. Frustrating. So I've decided to finally hook up the Hella relays.

I'm fine with everything except the white wire, in the instructions it says to "connect to low beam power", but then why is the white wire a flat spade connector inside a plastic housing? I don't see anything that will connect to this properly. I'm not supposed to use a scotchlock on it, where the hell does this thing go?!

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
On the stock Headlight washer/intermittent wiper relay there is a wire running from the SRA terminal on the headlight switch. (plus some wiring to new pump on the tank)

Then they only work with the headlights on.

Maybe its intended to go on that terminal on the headlight switch???...which would work I think.

Mike Solo

TDI
None, 2004 R32
I should have just emailed you. :p Didn't think you'd be online right now.

It has to be something in the vicinity of the passenger side (well, driver's side for you) headlight, as the relay gets mounted directly in front of the 5.5L tank, and the white wire is only about 30 cm long.

Mike Solo

TDI
None, 2004 R32
There's a separate 2-pin harness that goes onto the pump, 2 wires that go onto the stock windshield washer motor, and a + & - feed to the battery.

christanand

TDI
maybe sometime in the future
Mike Solo...IM me and i'll explain the easiet/best way i found to wire the headlight washers on the mk4 using the hella wiring kit...that white wire with the connector at the end is the power wire to activate the washers...like i mentioned i have an idea for you to try out which is how i went about it and love it...4 years using it to amaze mk4 users, lol

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Sorry to drag this up from the dead, but... I see everyone got the "bora" headlight jets. What about those of you who have OE HIDS? In this set up, I would think the Golf jets would be better as they spray BOTH high and low beams separately.

Cheers,
-Chris

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
That is an interesting point you raise.

Surely a Bora with Xenons should have a twin jet standard because the high and low beams are separate in the Bora Xenons as well. :confused:

These single jet Bora jets must be for Halogens in Sweden or something where they are required anyway (not just with Xenons).

The Bora's seem to have narrower caps on the bumpers so maybe that is an issue

:)

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
That is an interesting point you raise.

Surely a Bora with Xenons should have a twin jet standard because the high and low beams are separate in the Bora Xenons as well. :confused:

These single jet Bora jets must be for Halogens in Sweden or something where they are required anyway (not just with Xenons).

The Bora's seem to have narrower caps on the bumpers so maybe that is an issue

:)
Nope. The Bora Jets, (I have a pair staring at me on my desk right now), are single jets. The reason I guess they get away with a single jet is because it sprays a heck of a lot and soaks the entire headlight!

I had a set of Golf jets, (that what are what come in the universal Hella kit), and they are double but iirrc were too wide and at the wrong angle for the Bora/Jetta. I bought the number listed in the Euro ETKA for the German Bora. (for some strange reason Impex had a pair recently when I blew out my left hand one and that is why they are sitting on my desk staring at me. No time to install yet.)

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Thanks for the responses guys!

Just because ETKA says that the only part number for the Bora is the one quoted, doesn't mean it is right. For example the wiring diagram in ELSA is WRONG for bora Xenons.

I'd like to see the nozzle on a Bora that came with Xenons... Good luck with that though ;) !!

I honestly have no idea how either nozzle could be "aimed" wrong. Both cars have the same front end, the Euro rebar IS THE SAME for both cars. Cylinder mounts to re-bar.

Any way, I have the ones everyone else has, but I just want to be sure...

Cheers,
-Chris

s1iver

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GTI GLX VR6
Bump, where's the best place to get this kit? I'll be getting a euro rebar and luckily my GLI front bumper has the dimples for the headlight washers.

I've already got the 5.3L washer tank (has the provision for the second pump).

abdulcito

TDI
Golf R32
Hi friends, I am here asking for you help because I want to install a headlamp washer retrofit kit that I bought time ago in TMTuning in my Golf R32, when I bought this kit it came with just some items, with the information in this thread I almost could to complete the kit but I don´t have the electric arnes.

This is the reason that I need your help, I need to know the relays numbers (in the red square in the pic) because Hella don´t know the numbers or if anybody here can tell me where I can find are (just the relays or the complete arnes).

Other thing is that I need to know to the VW part number of the conector into the green square.

And my last question that I have is if is neccesary to change the VW relay (4B0 955 531 E "Relay 603) even using the electric arnes in the pic.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
So one of my headlight washer nozzles was leaking. I had a replacement which I installed and then decided to see if I could fix the old one.

I found a few parts to help me with the diagnosis. A piece of hose that fit the lower connection and a rubber stopper.

I pulled out the nozzel end and plugged the hose which basically pressurizes the nozzel

I could hear the nozzel leaking at this location. There is a rubber seal/o-ring. After removing the nozzel, I was able to replace the o-ring and when I pressurized it again, it held. No more leak
The tab on the nozzel body needs to be bent up in order to remove it. When you re-install, the ridges on the nozzel tip click into the final location.

It will either leak at the nozzel tip or from the nozzel body. I couldn't tell where it was leaking but using these parts, I was able to hear the leak at the o-ring

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
My passenger side washer is starting to leak at the pressure cylinder. Can you elaborate on how you got to the o ring, item 2 in below picture please?
This guy actually split it open.

http://vwts.ru/forum_txt/index.php/t77412.html
Wow, I haven't done that one. The O-ring I replaced is part of #4.

If you translate the Russian, it says you have to make cuts in these locations:

mathis92

TDI
Golf MK4
Hey guys,

I've been installing the OEM headlight washers on my 2000 golf and i can't figure out a little problem. I have used factory wiring with the 192 relay when the washers are activated while washing the windshield. The problem is that my washer only pops out from the bumper but do not spray. It seems like the the interval for spraying is too short because when i connect the motor directly it pops out and sprays with no problem. I have tried another relay 389 but with no difference. There is no water leakage since i've checked. Does anybody experienced problem like this ? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

There is a video on youTube that someone had the same problem. My washers acts exactly the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rASz8xN292g

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
May just have air in the system. From another thread I found:

"Holding it on will only try and shoot the headlight washers once, you need to hold it for a few seconds, release and do that again. Took about 7-8 goes before mine were spraying properly."

ZiggyoftheNorth

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
[ QUOTE ]
tongsli said:
OC,

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> The Golf does need the euro bumper and euro rebar to do this. The US bumper is different and the euro rebar doesn't fit behind it from what I have read. </font>

I'm wondering now if that kit is really worth it? The 5.5L tank can be sourced here in the US with the sensor hole.

<font color="red"> The advantage of the kit is that it has everything you need in one place with the correct length hose, connectors, pumps, etc. If you want to use the Hella wiring you don't even need Relay 192. </font>

All of the hose connections can be sourced from Audi. And probably the hose as well.

I'm not sure about the pumps. But, the covers and nozzels definately need to be sourced from Germany.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Where would you get the larger bottle? I spend a lot of time in boneyards and for the most part, Audi A4 and A6 parts look adaptable. The angle of the bumper is close enough but the squirters mount to a reinforced area of the bumper skin. I got the squirters and plan to get the reinforcement pieces for a template. If I can't mount the reinforcement to the Jetta bumper skin, I'll make a metal bracket and secure it to the rebar.

Audi TT and Passat have flatter bumpers and push out forward in stead of up. If I run into clearance issues, I can try this route but I think it would look funny...probably interfere with the trim Strip too.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Can someone who has done this mod help me determine if this part is the same as the washer carriers mentioned earlier in this thread: 1J0955978B.

It looks like there's no right or left version, though, and that you purchase the right/left nozzles separately.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, the jet nozzle itself is a separate piece.

Golf has a twin jet setup and Bora/Jetta has a single jet setup.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
Will the dual jets work on a Jetta? I can't seem to find any single jets.

Last edited:

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmm, I looked forever and couldn't find those. Sadly, it looks like the seller won't ship to the US. On top of that, I've never seen this before but eBay says the seller is unavailable to contact so I can't even ask. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
Is "oemvwshop.com" a reputable place to buy parts? That's all that comes up via Google, but I've never used them.

Last edited:

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
What's weird is if I search German eBay by those part numbers, I don't even get the results posted above. Does eBay not show me sellers who don't ship to the US automatically? I almost always look on the US, UK and German eBay sites when trying to find a part, so I'm not sure why I can't find anything this time.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
I finally found them. I had been scouring various international eBay sites for new or used Jetta nozzles with no luck, but the oemvwshop site ended up having them. I had never used them before, but they were responsive to questions and shipping from Slovakia wasn't too much and was fast.