hard start then stall after a second

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
First real issue with this wagon this morning as I'm leaving the house. Had a bit of a rough start, then a couple seconds of a high, rough idle before stalling. There was a good bit of shaking felt from the drivers seat. It did this 3 times, then on the 4th attempt it ran. It got me to where I needed to go and back home again. No CEL yet. Haven't run VCDS yet. After telling the wife, she remembered that yesterday the car had a bit of a shudder while cruising around in 2nd gear. We've got 84k on the clock, and had the fix done at around 70k. All regular maintenance has been done on time.
Can anyone clue me in?

Nick in CT
'13 Wagon manual tranny

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
facepalm....just saw the very first sticky on the forum. hope we didn't damage anything. looks like i'll be checking the ic hoses tonight.

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
I checked the pipe, not much drained out. The hose was lined with sludge, but not much water as far as volume goes. What else would cause this hard start? Next thought in my mind is fuel supply. Maybe air in the fuel lines somehow? Fuel filter only has 4k on it. Will be running vcds for codes when she gets home at the end of the day.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
My guess is the pipe was empty because the water had gone through the engine.

Some more suggestions for avoiding the issue:

Run the engine up to 3500 rpm for 10 seconds a minute or so before shutting down.
Drill a 1/8 hole in the lowest part of th IC hard pipe

I’ve had one instance of water since I drilled a hole two years ago.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Drain the pipe and run a lower grill block in the winter.
Personally I'd do this before drilling any holes in the intake piping tract.

After that I'd look into installing a block or coolant heater, or upgrading to the S3 intercooler.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
The S3 inter cooler wont help the issue, you don't get water because the inter cooler is not working well enough, you get it from the EGR system, warm wet air from the exhaust (think about how much water drips from people tailpipes) meets with very cold air from the inter cooler at the anti shutter / egr valve and falls down the charge pipe to the low spot. The hole in the piping works, you will be amazed how much water you see coming out of there, I noticed no loss in performance or mileage with a 1/8" hole. the other option is an egr delete, its very effective if not very legal.