My low mileage 2006 DSG tranny prognosis...

Fiat500Baja

TDI
None yet
Thought I would share my thoughts on my 89k mile purchase. ..so I bought this 06 DSG problem car, it had a couple of solenoid codes cuz it would not go into gear...installed a good known valve body and got the car to shift into gear and heard a very annoying galling noise from the bell housing. ..I told my brother that the flywheel was probably bad, hours later we had the tranny out of the car and discovered that there was only 1/4" of spline left inside the flywheel, it looked like it was machined on a lathe lol...sooo, $1,000 bucks later I bought a new flywheel and clutch basket. ..I installed the new flywheel seal and everything came to a complete halt!...I then learned that the engine speed sensor ring that is on the crank flange required a special too, without this tool the engine won't run if installed out of time...the speed sensor ring has to be installed within a half millimeter from the face of the crank flange. ..the special tool won't be in until this Friday, then I can get the tranny back in the car.

While doing tranny work I went ahead and also did the water pump with aluminum propeller, timing belt and all pulley tensioners and new accessory tensioner, did oil filter and new fluid, and changed the DSG filter I will update you on the progress on the tranny...also did a complete brake fluid flush and new front brake pads.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
On a low mileage BRM, why are you changing the Rear main PTFE Seal? Does it actually leak? PTFE seals last an extremely long time if they were installed correctly the first time. I'm at 180K miles on mine and it is possible that it might last 300 to 400K miles. It's not like the old days were you would change the RMS every time you removed the tranny.

Since you do have the tool coming, follow the installation procedures to the letter.
General information:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDO0EaBojSE

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
You will need to do a basic settings procedure on the replacement mechatronic unit (valve body) before you can expect it to work properly. That will require VCDS...don't know if a generic scanner will have that capability.