2015 Passat TDI 6 sp manual test drive

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
:confused:Nice test drive today. Sure different than a Jetta. salesman said pull into gas station, I'll add fuel, it's low and with cold weather coming in MN, need to add some.

He had a heck of a time getting smaller nozzle into the filler tube. I asked him, how are you supposed to add anti gel to make sure diesel doesn't gel up. Duh. Regular funnel does not work he said. Gas stations add enough should be no problem. NOT.

So what are you guys doing to add additives with that misfueling guard in place. I see it can be poppped out somehow on a YTube video. IDparts has one, but looks more like a small and large ended funnel for big rig stations large nozzles.

I'm guessing someone really sharp, has come up a an alternative or a funnel somewhere for sale.

Thanks Getting closer to buying.

Coulee

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
Refineries adjust their additives for the winter season to account for cold conditions.

Adding anti-gel shouldn't be a requirement in all but the most extremely cold climates.

I personally haven't found it necessary even when the temps often drop below -20C.

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
Been driving over 20 years, in Wisconsin. Cold like Ontario. I've come close a few times, but never gelled up. Still don't want to take a chance. TY for advice. I don't trust oil companies YET.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
He had a heck of a time getting smaller nozzle into the filler tube. I asked him, how are you supposed to add anti gel to make sure diesel doesn't gel up. Duh. Regular funnel does not work he said. Gas stations add enough should be no problem. NOT.

So what are you guys doing to add additives with that misfueling guard in place. I see it can be poppped out somehow on a YTube video. IDparts has one, but looks more like a small and large ended funnel for big rig stations large nozzles.

Coulee[/QUOTE]

our 2015 SEL came with the adapter that was stored by the Urea tank fill area that fits in the fuel filler. I've used it once when a "car" diesel pump was broken. I used the larger truck nozzle, it should work to add anti gel to the tank if you want to, or pick up a long extended funnel.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I just hold a regular funnel on the guard and pour slowly, never had an issue.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
i took that nozzle guard out of my 2015...its just a 2 pin push tab style. its a must since i sometimes fill up with jerry cans....with that being there its kinda a pain to get it open...so just ripped it all out. now i can use jerry cans, add addtives ...like i used to on my ALH

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I removed the "misfueling" guard from my 2015 for two reasons...

I've been driving TDI's for long enough to know not to screw up. (Noone drives my car but me...)

and two, there are enough backwoods hick stations that dont care about putting the correct diesel nozzle on the diesel lines to REALLY create a nuisance for me if I am almost of fuel.

Not that I ever intentionally get that low on fuel, but I have had the light come on twice since owning the car and that was lower than I prefer to be.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=493157

FYI proper winter blends have been hard to get in the norther/western mountains of Maine. My father in law was stranded two weeks before xmas when temps were only -13F in western mountains of Maine. Typical cold snaps -25f aren't uncommon in the area he was, the station he fills up at gets their fuel from Searsport ME which serves 75% of Maine north of Agusta. They have been having issues with getting proper blended off road fuel as well.

The refinery issues in St John have greater impacts than expected.

I would add removal of the flapper has been on my list but have yet to have any issues. Also you can trickle in any additives you want.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just add anti-gel like you would in an older TDI. There's room for a small amount of fluid to flow past the block in the filler neck. Just don't pour it too fast.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
VW dealers sell a special adapter funnel that lets you use larger fill nozzles. I bought one right away but I also ended up taking the restrictor out because of where I spend winters as well as to let me use a jerry can which I carry for emergencies. Problem solved.

ksandin

TDI
2015 Passat SE 6sp manual, 2015 Passat SE DSG
I started off trickling any injector cleaner that I wanted to add in the 2015. I would have taken the guard out but my wife drives the car often. After 3 years she said never an issue with attempting to put "gas" in it, I pulled the restrictor out. Now I can accurately see the fuel level as the foam settles. Much, much easier. Just picked up another 15 Passat TDI SE and pulled it out as well. Now with two TDI's and a 7.3 Ford we don't buy gas anymore.