Ahu alternator upgrade

Skenzi

TDI
1997 jetta
So I have a 97 Jetta... that's not the important part... I'm gonna swap it into a cj7, and I was curious if anyone had swapped in a higher amperage alternator than the piddly stock 90 or 120 amp units... I say piddly because I'm going to have dual batteries, lights and a winch.. winches draw a lot of juice, like up to 750 amps under full load, so I want something that can keep up as much as possible

I had read on the forum here that it is hypothesized that the 190 amp water cooled alt out of the touareg would have the same bolt pattern as our alts, but I cant find anyone who had actually done the swap... that would be an awesome upgrade to do while the motor is out..

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I would just rebuild the brushes on your 120 and move on, Yea your winch and what not draws HUGE amps but with a proper battery you might be fine. You have to do the math, how many amps, how often vs how fast you can charge your battery and or keep it from going lower than 50%.
I do remember years ago finding a site that you can send in your alternator and they will build it as powerful as you can get, they said that our 120 ampers, they can build up to 260 amps. CRAZY. Not sure where to point you to .

Skenzi

TDI
1997 jetta
I think I'm going to look at the mechman units... I had only considered the water cooled vw unit because you can find it at a parts house for around $200 plus core, if they're the same, which is substantially cheaper than the mechman units... I'll just have to play around at a parts house sometime and see how close they are

TDI97

TDI
97 Jetta
I think I'm going to look at the mechman units... I had only considered the water cooled vw unit because you can find it at a parts house for around $200 plus core, if they're the same, which is substantially cheaper than the mechman units... I'll just have to play around at a parts house sometime and see how close they are

https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item_445/VW-Jetta.htm

200a alt for 400. I've been running a 240a alt in my 4runner from these guys for 2 1/2 years now with no hiccups. I run dual batteries and a winch with it as well.