Brake issues, out of ideas

Robert6401

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG
My brakes on my Mk5 have been giving me hell ever since I parked it for a while. Since it began giving me problems, my mechanic replaced the booster and master cylinder. I have inspected the hoses and check valve and everything seems to be solid. The issue is that when driving, the brake pedal will not return back up to it's starting position and will even feel as though it continues to fall some. Is there something I'm failing to check?? Thanks so much for any help.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
In a PDF Document, "erWin.Jetta workshop manuals.Running Gear.Brake systems.pdf", I looked into this on your behalf and found no springs or other thing that seemed to be responsible for pulling the brake pedal back into position other than the servo. The following text from the document pertained to checking it:

"Functional check:
– With engine switched
off, depress brake pedal
firmly several times.
(This will release the
vacuum in the unit.)
– Now step on and hold brake pedal with medium pressure and start engine. If the brake servo is functioning
properly, the brake pedal will be felt to go down as the servo takes effect."

I have no experience with repairing any of this on this car, as my brakes have worked fine since I bought the car 9 years ago, so this post is only conjecture.

That said, I once did find and replace a cracked plastic vacuum line attached to the servo.

Robert6401

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG
In a PDF Document, "erWin.Jetta workshop manuals.Running Gear.Brake systems.pdf", I looked into this on your behalf and found no springs or other thing that seemed to be responsible for pulling the brake pedal back into position other than the servo. The following text from the document pertained to checking it:

"Functional check:
– With engine switched
off, depress brake pedal
firmly several times.
(This will release the
vacuum in the unit.)
– Now step on and hold brake pedal with medium pressure and start engine. If the brake servo is functioning
properly, the brake pedal will be felt to go down as the servo takes effect."

I have no experience with repairing any of this on this car, as my brakes have worked fine since I bought the car 9 years ago, so this post is only conjecture.

That said, I once did find and replace a cracked plastic vacuum line attached to the servo.

Thank you for the input. I have tried the functional check you provided, and the system seems to work as it should (as described).

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Is the fluid level dropping at all?
Has the system been properly bled of all air?
How does the pedal pressure feel? If you press on the brakes is it spongy, or does the pedal come to a somewhat firm stop? Does pumping the brakes firm things up?
Have you checked all the calipers to make sure they aren't hanging up?

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
So do the brakes release and the pedal stays put or are the brakes still activated and the pedal doesn't come up? I would assume the brakes are still on? Can you pull the pedal back up?

Robert6401

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG
Is the fluid level dropping at all? No

Has the system been properly bled of all air? To my knowledge, my mechanic did this
How does the pedal pressure feel? If you press on the brakes is it spongy, or does the pedal come to a somewhat firm stop? Kind of spongy

Does pumping the brakes firm things up? Yes

Have you checked all the calipers to make sure they aren't hanging up? No, I haven't, but I wouldn't think pulling back up on the pedal would disengage them if it was the calipers sticking

So do the brakes release and the pedal stays put or are the brakes still activated and the pedal doesn't come up? I would assume the brakes are still on? Yes, the brakes are still on and the pedal stays put Can you pull the pedal back up? Yes, and it disengages the brakes

Sorry for the slow response, my answers are in bold. Thanks!!