Blower not working or re-circulation button

josh101uk

TDI
59 Golf GTD
Similar issues have been discussed before on this forum and others but I'm looking for any updated advice.

My MKVI 59 Golf GTD blowers have stopped working on any speed (automatic dual climate control, not the 4 speed climate), the only air I get is a residual breeze that slightly increases with the speed of the vehicle. Luckily this is warm (I assume from the engine) so it's not all bad.

I don't believe this to be a resistor problem as no blower speed at all, although most discussions around this relate to the 4 speed setup not the automatic climate control with ~ 10 speeds.

Fuses are fine, checked all relevant. No other items affected like back wiper etc.

Will take the resistor out at the weekend and take the blower motor off to check voltage etc and to see if I can get it spinning with a gentle push.

After reading other forums, I only yesterday decided to check the recirc. button which is now also defective: once pressed, the light briefly flashes and then instantly turns off or sometimes it will stay on for 3-4 seconds and then turn off by itself.

My initial thought was blower motor, until yesterday. I had previously noted a creaking noise, probably coming from passenger foot-well but only when parking - I now assume this could be the recirc. kicking in automatically to stop fumes etc. or just the motor seizing and only happened to hear it when going slowly.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated before I spend out on a new motor & If a re-circulation issue then why would I also have no blower speeds?

Last edited:

josh101uk

TDI
59 Golf GTD
Took it apart yesterday, mine appeared to just be a seized blower motor. Gave it a few turns manually and it started to spin again on all speeds.

Removed it properly, took it apart to oil both bearings a little and hope it will now last. Will probably just replace the whole motor if it stops again.

Not sure what the recirculation issue was, but this also now seems to be working properly.

Interestingly, I couldn't actually see a resistor - does anyone know if the dual zone automatic climate has one at all, or has one if a different place? (This is the setup with around 8-10 different speeds).

GimmeBoost

TDI
2013 6spd 4-door
Fan speed is likely controlled by the HVAC system controller rather than a resistor pack. How many wires did the blower motor have? I would suspect that they used PWM instead of voltage control for this, especially with the high number of available speeds.

josh101uk

TDI
59 Golf GTD
That would make sense I suppose with this setup.

Motor had 4 wires I think, contained within a 6-pin connector (so two empty as far as I could tell).

GimmeBoost

TDI
2013 6spd 4-door
Very likely that fan speed is controlled via PWM with a 4-wire connector like that. If you used a good low viscosity oil like 3-in-1 or similar and got it into the bearing nicely you should get a good amount more life out of it, but it's really variable. It's likely one of the four leads is a speed sensor. Recirc probably won't work if the fan won't spin.