Renewable diesel

scotsditch

TDI
2000 jetta
I'm new to posting on this forum. I'm not sure if this is the right way to post. I also posted this on another thread, but this thread seems relevant. I have a 2003 vw jetta tdi. During a trip recently I filled it with renewable diesel. It ran fine for the rest of the trip, but after I got home and parked the car for a couple days it had trouble starting. It struggles to start like it has air in the lines. So I replaced the fuel filter and filled the new fuel filter with fuel injector cleaner. It started after holding the key over to start for 30 seconds or so. I took it for a quick 20 mile trip. I stopped filled the half empty tank to full with regular diesel. I parked the car for another day and the next day it wouldn't start. It struggled again like it had air in the lines. I had the battery tested, it was bad so I replaced it, but it still struggles the same. I replaced the p109 relay, it still struggles the same. Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be, and suggest how to fix it?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Renewable diesel can make your seals shrink and cause leaks. It happened to me and many others on here. It’s actually pretty common

Do you see any visible fuel leaks?

Have someone try to start the car while you check for air bubbles. There are clear fuel lines that run from the FF to the Injection pump. Check the supply and return lines for bubbles while cranking.

I'm new to posting on this forum. I'm not sure if this is the right way to post. I also posted this on another thread, but this thread seems relevant. I have a 2003 vw jetta tdi. During a trip recently I filled it with renewable diesel. It ran fine for the rest of the trip, but after I got home and parked the car for a couple days it had trouble starting. It struggles to start like it has air in the lines. So I replaced the fuel filter and filled the new fuel filter with fuel injector cleaner. It started after holding the key over to start for 30 seconds or so. I took it for a quick 20 mile trip. I stopped filled the half empty tank to full with regular diesel. I parked the car for another day and the next day it wouldn't start. It struggled again like it had air in the lines. I had the battery tested, it was bad so I replaced it, but it still struggles the same. I replaced the p109 relay, it still struggles the same. Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be, and suggest how to fix it?

scotsditch

TDI
2000 jetta
@CleverUserName thank you for getting back to me on this so quickly. I have noticed that the top of the fuel filter is wet, and I did notice some bubbles moving around once while someone else cranked. If it is leaking what should I do?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The rubber seals on the T-stat at the Fuel Filter is a common place for air to enter the system. Some air floating thru the clear pipe while the engine is running is not uncommon. But, lots of bubbles can be a problem.

Also, check the Injection Pump for leaks. Look below the IP for leaks.

Changing the fuel filter and battery always solves hard starting <<<< my sarcasm for the day! (sorry, I had to say it).

Reactions: Ton

Phyloader

TDI
2010 Jetta SW
I know of one well known biofuel station in the Bay Area, in order to keep their retail product 100% renewable, they've effectively been blending biodiesel with HPR. Retail stations are allowed to blend upto B20 still, I believe. It's just the B100 that's difficult to come by.
Hi Matt, which station is this?

scotsditch

TDI
2000 jetta
@AndyBees @CleverUserName Haha, yeah what a surprise still not starting after swapping battery and fuel filter. so did my part for the economy. So far I have swapped the fuel filter, T valve on top of fuel filter, filled the fuel filter with injector cleaner, replaced battery, and bled the injectors. yesterday when I cracked the injectors completely open there was only a trickle of diesel coming out if that tells you anything. today I plan to take a close look at the fuel cut off valve and the injector pump. then if that doesn't fix it look at the fuel flow coming before the fuel filter from the lift pump on top of the tank. any other suggestions? also this was renewable diesel that I filled up on in a gas station in gualala, CA about a week ago.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Scotsditch

The photo below is my go-to device I made back in 2012 to "feed" the Injection Pump from above ( I V style).

I used a Jiff peanut butter plastic jar.

> I drilled a hole in the bottom center. Using JB Weld and an in-line plastic filter, I inserted the nipple thru the hole. The nipple sticks up about 3/4 inch of the bottom of the jar.
> Then I drilled a hole in the side of the jar up close to the top. Using what I had available at the time, (plastic T), I JB Welded the T into the side with one nipple broke off and plugged. The modified T serves as an Elbow.
> Then I drilled a hole in the center of the lid. Using a rather long slim full threaded bolt, I installed it using a nut and washer on each side of the lid. I keep them loose for air to enter. Using coat hanger wire, I made a hook for the end of the bolt to use for hanging above the engine.
> Then I connected a hose to the filter on the bottom of the jar for the feed hose to the IP. I do not run fuel thru the regular OE filter.
> Then I connected a hose to the modified Elbow on the side. This hose must be attached to the metal return pipe on the IP.

As stated above, I made this device in 2012. It works great today. The JB Weld has not deteriorated at all.

The lid must be screwed on very tight or you are likely to make a mess.

With the overhead fuel device in place, you can easily force feed the IP and clear out the air as well as bleed the Injectors.
There is really not much fuel at the Injector fittings. So, a small amount there doesn't mean anything. I used this device on a 22f windy night to change-out a frozen and plugged fuel filter. It works just fine!

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
@AndyBees @CleverUserName Haha, yeah what a surprise still not starting after swapping battery and fuel filter. so did my part for the economy. So far I have swapped the fuel filter, T valve on top of fuel filter, filled the fuel filter with injector cleaner, replaced battery, and bled the injectors. yesterday when I cracked the injectors completely open there was only a trickle of diesel coming out if that tells you anything. today I plan to take a close look at the fuel cut off valve and the injector pump. then if that doesn't fix it look at the fuel flow coming before the fuel filter from the lift pump on top of the tank. any other suggestions? also this was renewable diesel that I filled up on in a gas station in gualala, CA about a week ago.
2003 Jetta’s don’t have lift pumps unless you installed one from an ‘04-‘05 MK IV

scotsditch

TDI
2000 jetta
@CleverUserName @AndyBees thanks for all the help guys. I checked, I was getting fuel no problem pulling through the fuel filter. so had to be an issue after. fuel cut off valve was getting voltage when key turned. so primed the injector pump, bled the injectors, and it started right up!

allenazali

TDI
2015 Golf manual
I just put in a full tank of 76 Renewable diesel in my 15 Golf. It was a little more expensive than I would like to pay but so far so good. Probably better to do once in a while and closer to next oil change than right after. The location was 76 on Broadway Ave in Lincoln Heights, Los Angeles.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
It seems like every other station around here says Renewable Diesel now.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Renewable has same properties as what comes out of ground. Bio is a different story altogether (albeit a bit better lubricating IP and Nozzles).
No it doesn’t have the same properties as Diesel #2. That’s fake news.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmm….I think you might be a bit confused. It’s chemically identical to your standard ULSD, albeit with a higher cetane level as one of a few benefits.
No, no it’s not. Common myth perpetuated by misleading advertising.

You can read from here post #11. I provide lots of data.