Buying a '14 Lux Touareg

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Dropped off in my yard today, have had the deal in place for several months, was just waiting for my a3 return date to be settled. a3 goes back net Thursday, bucks in hand soon after and can pay for the Touareg.
It has 93k miles, prior owner had very regular maintenance. Driving it around today, everything feels tight, no clunks, going to put it jack stands this weekend and do more thorough inspection.
There is an odd rotational noise though, akin to a dry gear. Definitely road speed related, not influenced by loading/unloading suspension on one side or the other.
Does the driveshaft support bearing issue produce a noise of any particular distinction?

In addition any specific things I should look at or inspect for wear? (Prior owner just had new brakes and tires done).
Thanks for any and all feedback.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
You will feel a knock under the center console and you will know when it lets loose. I would check it out. All you do is grab it and see if it has any play. It should have none if the bearing is good.

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Drive shaft issue only significantly relates to T1s and T2s up to 2010.

I'm only aware of one possible replacement in later cars.

Are all 4 tires IDENTICAL - same make, same model, same size, same tread pattern, same tread depth?

Have you driven it up to 80 mph and checked no Steering Wheel Shakes? SWS was a problem on quite a few T3s but the forums have gone quiet on this now.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Congrats on the purchase. We just got the same as a dieselgate replacement. Its quite a vehicle. My wife loves it.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Tires are all same, same, same, same, same. Michelins.
Is a bit of SWS +70 mph. I'll try to get on I95 tomorrow, no roads around here to sustain 80 for long periods of time and not get busted.
If you put trans in neutral and coast noise stops, which I think indicates it's gear related.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Dropped off in my yard today, have had the deal in place for several months, was just waiting for my a3 return date to be settled. a3 goes back net Thursday, bucks in hand soon after and can pay for the Touareg.
It has 93k miles, prior owner had very regular maintenance. Driving it around today, everything feels tight, no clunks, going to put it jack stands this weekend and do more thorough inspection.
There is an odd rotational noise though, akin to a dry gear. Definitely road speed related, not influenced by loading/unloading suspension on one side or the other.
Does the driveshaft support bearing issue produce a noise of any particular distinction?
In addition any specific things I should look at or inspect for wear? (Prior owner just had new brakes and tires done).
Thanks for any and all feedback.
I had a similar noise and it ended up being the front differential carrier bearing, which required replacement of the front differential unit.

You'll want to try to pinpoint the noise. Is it coming from the front or rear of the vehicle? Is it different under acceleration vs. deceleration vs. neutral power delivery? You mention no noise when coasting in neutral, which leads me to believe it's driveline related rather than something like a wheel bearing.

Last edited:

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Front differential.
Dealer has agreed with my suspicion and is sourcing a new assembly, still under warranty.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Nice!

Let this be a warning to all Touareg owners.... check that front diff oil level! If it goes low it nukes the bearings in a hurry!

-J

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
I'm pretty neurotic about changing differential and trans fluids. Usually do it twice as often as maintenance schedule calls for. I'll be doing the transmission and rear diff immediately.
Though with 5k left on drivetrain warranty wouldn't hurt my feelings if either of them died in the next 7 weeks.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Like the transmission and transfer case, they are "Sealed for Life".

IMHO, a trans fluid change at 50k (which will get all the wear in material out), and a differential oil change at 60k wouldn't be uncalled for. The front differential uses readily available, inexpensive oil.

-J

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
No front differential in NA, one had to shipped from Germany. It's stuck in customs in Kentucky, dealer is providing regular updates.
So next week I have to take a road trip to Maryland, taking daughter to visit colleges, leaving Wednesday evening. Front diff is definitely noisy, wondering if sustained operation at +75mph is going to make it seize up and leave us stranded.
I'm considering draining the oil and refilling with some Mobil 75-90 and hoping that forestalls a complete failure.

Also wondering what general sentiment is on trans fluid.
I can buy Pentosin ATF1-LV locally for $13 a liter or $50 for a 5L jug. I'd parts has VW fluid at $23 L and Rowe at $19, + shipping.
Is the VW or Rowe that much better then Pentosin?

Thanks for any info anyone is willing to share.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Pentosin is usually right up there with OEM spec. I have used their fluids extensively in most VW applications for the last 15 years no issues.