How many times can you flash an ECU

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Just wondered how many times you can flash an ECU?, vehicle in question has EDC16, a friend with the same vehicle had his ECU lock up at about 50 or 60 flashes.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
They can be unlocked. It's a software lock.
Is there a way you can reset the flash count to stop this happening?, when my mates ECU locked up he said the tuner had to actually remove the ECU to un-lock it. He was also told the ECU has two Eproms with internal counters.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Exactly. You have to take out the ECU and do a BDM read or boot mode read if possible, then edit values and write back.
So it really depends on the ECU and manufacturer. 60 times has been the most common I have seen from German cars.
Some older ecus can have eeprom edited via OBD port, and usually it becomes available to newer as tuners/hackers do their thing.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Exactly. You have to take out the ECU and do a BDM read or boot mode read if possible, then edit values and write back.
So it really depends on the ECU and manufacturer. 60 times has been the most common I have seen from German cars.
Some older ecus can have eeprom edited via OBD port, and usually it becomes available to newer as tuners/hackers do their thing.
Thanks for the info, the vehicle in question is my 2004 VW T5 2.5 with EDC16 software ID U6FT

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Oh, so on the Flashzilla, when it says "reset flash counter to zero" or something to that effect, I should occasionally say "Yes?"

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Hi guys it was my vehicle that got a bit stuck on the rollers after the 53rd flash of the ecu. :) it had to be reset on the bench but don't know if the counter has been disabled or if will bomb out after 53 again...I'm currently on 28 flashes and all for the pursuit of power :D

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Am I understanding this right. u have over 70 flashes on a edc16 and still not got the tune where it should be. My gosh :p

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Am I understanding this right. u have over 70 flashes on a edc16 and still not got the tune where it should be. My gosh :p
I like to see what works and what doesn't. At least I can go back to any stage of tune, a bit like when I had a camshaft reground and in 1000miles I had splintered the cam lobes and destroyed the followers. That cost me around £1200 gbp, but if the mapper new what he was doing I wouldn't be still messing about.