Source or P/N for rectangle-head "fir tree"/"pine tree"/"christmas tree" trim clip?

Hare

TDI
2001 Golf
Source or P/N for rectangle-head "fir tree"/"pine tree"/"christmas tree" trim clip?

I am looking for "fir tree" trim clips that hold the plastic interior panel inside below the hatch on a 2001 Golf. (It is a TDI, but I don't think that makes a difference what trim clips it uses :^) If you open the back hatch, the panel is the black plastic that reaches from the hatch down to the floor, I am looking for the clips which hold it.

The clips are what I know as a "fir tree" -- it is shaped vaguely like a nail or a mushroom with "bristles" along the shaft. I have also seen them called "pine tree" or "christmas tree", depending on the maker. In this case, the clips are unusual in at least two ways: the head and shaft are rectangular, and it has bristles on two sides only.

The rectangular head is about 16mm x 11mm.

The shaft is about 10mm across the smooth sides. The "bristles" are about 7mm across and fit in the body in slots that are about 5mm across. The "shaft" is about 10mm long.

I have a Bentley manual, but it seems to have no part numbers. I went to the local auto parts store and the guy said he never saw one like that. I have not been able to find a picture online.

Any hints or tips? TIA.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I forgot what these look like. I had my inside rear trim off about 5 years ago when I was messing around with the striker.
Edit: Ok, page 70-30 of my Bentley shows a diagram; I'll look around on-line.

Last edited:

Hare

TDI
2001 Golf
Here's the same thing but from the trim over the hatchback, it is a little beat up some of the "flaps" (pine needles?) on this one are broken:

The ones on the trim below the hatchback are white, dunno if that makes a difference. They do the same thing, the hatchback trim has a slot the head slides in, and the bit that pokes out fits in to a slot in the body.

Hare

TDI
2001 Golf
I forgot what these look like. [...] Ok, page 70-30 of my Bentley shows a diagram; I'll look around on-line.
You must have a newer Bentley than me, I don't have a page 70-30 -- my picture is on 70-21 but does not really show the fastener.

Your tip about idparts helped -- I did not find it there, but it led me to more sites and eventually to:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/357_867_646/ES1111662/

http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/Volkswagen-VW/Golf18L-Turbo/Stop-clip/5215278/373867646.html

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-special-order-european-part_2980045.html

It appears to be called a "Stop Clip" and part # 357-867-646. I'm not 100% sure this is the right part -- the ones on my car's trim are white nylon, not black, but the shape is right.

I have no association with any of the above (I have not ordered any yet), but I hope the above will help somebody else in my boat!