A certain hot start/relay 109 fix

Direct Inject

Hi all!!
First let me say thanks for all the info I found on the hot start/relay 109/180 problems. After looking at it all and doing many of the tests I finally found the problem. It was relay 109 after all. I won't even tell you all the things the stealership wanted to replace!

I found this by taking 109 apart and bench testing the thing. Gave the pull in circut about 1000 cycles and had no failures. I did however find that there was no output to pin87 even though the contacts are fine and did transmit power. After more testing it was found that the soldier joint on the output buss bar to the circut board was broken. Thus when the broken joint heats up contact was broken, dead car. I suspect that the constant heating/cooling of the relay stressed the joint enough to break it, then the arcing cuased even more damage until it failed. I resoldiered the pin and it worked fine. A few hundred cycles on the bench went 100%.

As this was the older black 109 I will be getting a grey ASAP. I'll be opening that one up to see what they have changed.

At least I know I actually found a problem and didn't do what the dealer wanted and just replace Sh#$ until it went away. Taking it to Boston for the week, so I'll give it a good test.
Thanks again to all those who messed with this before me.

Scott Simmons

Bob Novak

Veteran Member
Good job man! I replaced mine as soon as I got my car tnx to this forum.

2000 red jetta gls leather all options
New relay 109
up chip
cvc mod
descreened
delvac 1 every 5k
ammoco priemer

Bob