DSG DMF rattle, will the VW dealership know?

turdlarsen

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi
Ok, I need you guys' experienced advice. I purchased this here Jetta tdi about a month and a half ago from a dealership....NOT a VW dealership but a Mitsubishi used car lot. With my new used car purchase they give me a 90 day 50/50 warranty on drivetrain and the engine, meaning they'll pay for half. After gluing my face to my computer monitor reading this forum for a month, I discover my tranny has the dreaded marbles in a tin can sound in idle and park pointing to the tuckered out DMF flywheel that 2006 DSG tdi jettas come equipped with. My 1000 dollar question (literally) is, if I take my car into VW to diagnose my tranny rattle, will they recognise this very common problem and give me an estimate so I can have Mitsubishi help cover the repair? Thanks all.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
What ever you do, don't let the Mitsubishi dealer fix it. those used car warranties a just a way to get additional money from the customer. If they fix it, they will use the bare minimum in parts and cut corners.

Find out if their warranty will allow you to take the car to a mechanic of your choice. If not, have it fixed by a trusted TDI mechanic and pay the whole thing yourself.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I agree with Ol'Rattler.

See if the mitsu dealer will pay for a qualified shop; if not, just pay for it yourself. There are one-time-use-stretch bolt that MUST be replaced; if they are reused, the transmission mount can fall out. These fastners are commonly reused, leaving people stranded at some time in the future.

Tony

turdlarsen

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi
Yeah, that was the plan...take it somewhere to get an estimate, then try to have Mitsu pay for half. I'm just trying to find a way to validate the repair so I can get the $$ out of the Mitsu dealership. I figured that if I took it to a VW dealership and told them my problem, making them think I would come back and get the repair done with them, they would write me up a repair estimate? Then I'd try to take it to Shannon @ full throttle in orlando, and get them to repair it(they'd prolly do it cheaper than VW too so Mitsu might be cool with it). Whatdayathink?

turdlarsen

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi
Thanks all, I plan on making my power moves monday. If anyone has any other tips or had a similar situation or knowledge please feel free to let me know. Cheers!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Just read the fine print on your 90 day warranty. It should tell you if a third party can perform the work.

I wouldn't even waste my time with a VW dealer. Just have the folks that are going to perform the work do an estimate, if you need one.

turdlarsen

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi
well, that sounds like sound advice, although the trusted tdi guru shop is 2+ hours away, so it does make at a lil more difficult, but nonetheless a good idea. thanks