need opinions fast....freaking out

-=PYRO=-

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JET TDI
I bought a 2002 echo private sale. This guy bought it from a wrecker to fix it and sell it. He said it just needed a control arm. Well it started to make a noise so I jacked it up and seen that the front bolt to the c.arm was welded but the weld broke and i pulled the bolt out with my fingers!!!! It had snapped before the threads start. I'm about to call the seller and tell him that I want all my money back and he can come tow the car away. I learned that when I'm freaking out that I should get opinions before I react. Tell me what you would do.

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta-sold
My sister-in-law bought an Audi Coupe. She had it a couple of years before it needed some repairs to the suspension. At some point before she bought the car it had been in an accident (more than likely it was totalled). Well the suspension could not be fixed at this point. Long story short, get your money back. Inspect more carefully next time. Good luck.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
In Nova Scotia, are used vehicles required to have a safety inspection? In Ontario, something like that shouldn't have got past the safety inspection - and if it did, you've probably got a case against both the inspection station and the seller.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
As it was a private sale, surely it's caveat emptor? You should've found the defect during your own pre-purchase inspection IMHO.

A welded fastener (the nut was welded to the end of the bolt, or the head of the bolt welded to the chassis, no nut fitted, yes?) would've been a red flag requiring urgent replacement and a closer look at the rest of the vehicle...

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
How long have you onwned the car? How many km's have you driven it? Does Canada have Lemon Laws?

The prudent thing would have been to have a certified mechanic check the car out thouroughly before paying for it, especially if it came from a wrecker/junk yard.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
This is an example of what I have already said. Used car salesmen are saints compared to nearly every private individual selling his car.

vgmnstr

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Bettle TDI
Does your area have any kind of lemon law that could help you out with this? The fix doesn't sound very safe, and could have lead to an accident. See what kind of legal help might need to use.