vw ecu flash?

Jeef

TDI
1999.5 Silver Arrow
I was on the phone with vw a while ago and the said they have a campaign on for reprogramming the emmissions or somthing like that what I am wondering is if anyone has had this done and what exactly are they doing would it improve or degrade performance or have no effect??? Thanks

Jeef

TDI
1999.5 Silver Arrow
also does anyone know if this might fix my stupid clock it runs fast all the time?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The ECU reflash is for very early Pumpe Duce TDI cars (early 2004 MY) for hard starting when cold.

I qualified, but I got a Rocket Chip Stage 1 instead

Any ECU reflashes VW does will erase any previous performance upgrades you may have gotten from other sources. VW has you sign a waiver stating you are aware of this before they will upgrade your ECU, provided there is a recall for them to do it.

--Nate

Jeef

TDI
1999.5 Silver Arrow
must not be the recall im looking at as my car is not pd I havent had any other flashes done so thats not a problem but I dont want them poking things unless it is somthing that I need .

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Jeef, there are no reflash recalls for our cars.

Your clock runs fast? Mine is dead on. Then again, I don't have the original cluster.

-J

Jeef

TDI
1999.5 Silver Arrow
not a recall just a service campaign it's somthing to do with emmisions they said but like i said the idea of them touching my ecu without me knowing exactly what they are doing gives me the willies.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Interesting. I have to go by my dealer to pick up some repair wires. I'll ask them if they know anything about this...

-J

Jeef

TDI
1999.5 Silver Arrow
I spoke with customer service and it is a ecu reflash. They call it an "emmisions service action" and she said it fixes a problem wit the ecu connecting to a scan tool. SO my question now is why are the calling it emmisons service action when it has nothing to do with emmisions?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Mr. jeef, I would not worry about that recall....it really doesn't benefit the end user unless the dealer was having a problem communicating with your car. It's some sort of update to help the communications between the IC and the OBD port, IIRC.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Because in some states emissions testing is done simply by hooking up a device that reads the OBD-II readiness codes. And if it fails to connect to your car, you fail your emissions test. IIRC its a reflash of the cluster, not the ECU.