Looking to buy first TDI. I think I found a good one

KDM Mods

TDI
None yet
Hey everyone. First post here. I work at a small shop and someone brought in a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta tdi. This is the highest mileage car I’ve ever seen in person. Has 374,800 miles on it. It runs and drives super good. When I found out the guy was looking to sell it once he got it back from the shop, I knew I had to try and get it for a good deal. So here’s what I know.

He is the second owner. He has put 45,000 miles on in two years. The first owner gave him a binder 3 inches thick of service records. He changes the oil every 5,000 miles with amsoil. He put all new calipers, rotors, and pads, new tires and it also comes with snow tires. He said he was going to put it on Craigslist for $2500 but was not expecting to get that at all. He was thinking he could get $1400-$1500. And as he was saying that I was thinking $1300 lol. I said something about $1300 and he seemed hesitant but sounded like he would take $1300 for it.

It is a really solid car. The worst rust is on the drivers side but for being a Minnesota car it’s super clean. Interior is super clean as well. The stitching on the drivers seat is coming undone but could be saved by resowing. I asked about the timing belt and he said he hasn’t changed it yet. So it’s probably due for one. I can definitely do that myself to save a bunch. I have taken the car on a test drive after I replaced the power steering rack and it drives really good. Straight and has good power. The 5 speed shifts really nice as well.

Here are some pictures. Looks like it’s leaking something but it’s very slow.

Let me know if you guys think I should go for it. I really want it. I need to decide by tonight.

Thanks! Caleb

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Go for it. That car's worth $1,500 all day long. It's remarkably clean, except for the one bit of rust in the photo. If the suspension and steering are in good shape these cars drive really well at high miles (my Wagon has 374K on it, too, and it's still a blast to drive).

Two owners is great. Don't let the total mileage drive you away. With proper care you could easily drive it another 150-200K.

The oil leak could be as simple as a valve cover (gasket is part of the cover), EGR valve (leaks when they get old), or a bad oil cap gasket.

If you buy it, after you fix the oil leak get a belly pan and side skirts, or a skid plate.

KDM Mods

TDI
None yet
Go for it. That car's worth $1,500 all day long. It's remarkably clean, except for the one bit of rust in the photo. If the suspension and steering are in good shape these cars drive really well at high miles (my Wagon has 374K on it, too, and it's still a blast to drive).

Two owners is great. Don't let the total mileage drive you away. With proper care you could easily drive it another 150-200K.

The oil leak could be as simple as a valve cover (gasket is part of the cover), EGR valve (leaks when they get old), or a bad oil cap gasket.

If you buy it, after you fix the oil leak get a belly pan and side skirts, or a skid plate.

That’s all I needed to hear! I’ll go for it. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t spending too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KDM Mods

TDI
None yet
Ok I bought it. $1500 with snow tires only. I think it’s a great deal. Going to go get it tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement guys!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Ok I bought it. $1500 with snow tires only. I think it’s a great deal. Going to go get it tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement guys!

You only need to change the oil every 10,000 mi, however, it does take full synthetic.
Also, what ever questions you have should be searched in the tdi search engine below and available in the TDI 101 section that has all the information you will want to become familiar with now that you're the proud owner of a TDI

https://cse.google.com/cse?q=+&cx=018097697432185261444:_idbzjdyxdm

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
I think that the miles on the car are secondary to how well it's been taken care of. This one sounds like it's been treated well. Enjoy!

KDM Mods

TDI
None yet
Thanks everyone! I’m going to have plenty of questions about it since this is my first diesel. I detailed it and it looks like it has much lower miles than it does.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
"Thanks everyone! I’m going to have plenty of questions about it since this is my first diesel. I detailed it and it looks like it has much lower miles than it does."

Glad you found a good one.

Before asking anymore questions get very familiar with the TDI 101 section and all the information available there. You will find a lot of your questions are answered there already.
Also use the stickied TDI search engine there, bookmark it as you should use it instead of the search on tdiclub for more, and often more accurate/relevant, results.

Last edited:

KDM Mods

TDI
None yet
"Thanks everyone! I’m going to have plenty of questions about it since this is my first diesel. I detailed it and it looks like it has much lower miles than it does."

Glad you found a good one.

Before asking anymore questions get very familiar with the TDI 101 section and all the information available there. You will find a lot of your questions are answered there already.
Also use the stickied TDI search engine there, bookmark it as you should use it instead of the search on tdiclub for more, and often more accurate/relevant, results.

Ok will do. I’ve used the Volvo forum quite a bit. Hopefully this one is pretty similar

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Wow that looks nice. It's fun to drive a car that has more miles on it than most anyone has seen. Recently my sister-in-law asked me how many miles were on my Wagon since she's been seeing me in it forever. When I told her I don't think she understood. The number simply didn't register.

I'd get some POR-15 or bed liner and clean up those rockers before winter. Looks like you have some rust there, although it's a little hard to see in the photos. But otherwise that thing looks excellent!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Agreed, aside from that driver's side rocker you got a really clean one there. Looks even better in the driveway pics than it did in the ones you posted initially.

For the rockers, maybe have a look at HermTDI's thread over in the MkIV section, he just found a interesting solution for that...

KDM Mods

TDI
None yet
Put 1000 miles on it so far. Only thing I’ve done is an oil change and a new/used power steering pump. Other than it starts really good in single digit temperatures. I have the seat to fix still. Might do the timing belt next semester at school as well. It would be nice to find a good quality kit that came with everything you need. Maybe one if you know of a good kit? And the first gear synchronizer is starting to go. You need to slot it in slowly. Not a big deal. I can double clutch too and that seems to work. Maybe next year at school I can rebuild the tranny for the experience.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Replace the gear oil with Pennzoil Synchromesh. I bet it'll eliminate the grind. Works wonders.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Wow, that car looks fantastic for the mileage and number of northern winters it has seen. The sooner you can cut out that bad spot on the rocker and reseal it the better.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
There's something about a white Jetta. Always wanted one!

As for timing kits,
https://www.dieselgeek.com/collecti...t-kit-for-1998-2003-jetta-golf-new-beetle-tdi
https://www.idparts.com/alh-high-mileage-timing-belt-kit-p-2298.html
Just pay attention to the name brands of the components. Do not skimp.
And if you haven't changed a timing kit on an ALH before, please read in detail the process. It's not a "slap it on and go" type deal. Read twice before attempting:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Read it three times, and set the pump pulley to center then turn it one tooth to the right when putting the belt on, that's not in the write-up
There's something about a white Jetta. Always wanted one!

As for timing kits,
https://www.dieselgeek.com/collecti...t-kit-for-1998-2003-jetta-golf-new-beetle-tdi
https://www.idparts.com/alh-high-mileage-timing-belt-kit-p-2298.html
Just pay attention to the name brands of the components. Do not skimp.
And if you haven't changed a timing kit on an ALH before, please read in detail the process. It's not a "slap it on and go" type deal. Read twice before attempting:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf
Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk