Cold Air Intakes

Gurvir

TDI
2015 VW Jetta TDI 6 Speed
I didn't want to start this thread because its a very controversial topic but i just wanted to get some advice for my 2015 Jetta it has to be done. Now i have read many forums that diesels don't need more air and all that but i am doing it mostly for intake noise, aesthetics and if i do end up making more power that's amazing. I am going to get a tune and deletes and all that next summer so I personally don't think that this will be a waste of money and will help turbo spool and add some power.

I was looking into the rawtek intake and the neupeed one for 2015 Tdi's. (The only 2 i found for my year car). Which one do you guys think would be better the neuspeed is more of a short ram intake i think. The rawtek intake is great, little overpriced but only thing i'm concerned about is the placement. The actual filter sits near the driver side fog light so pretty low in the car. Has anyone actually got problems of hydrolocking or any other issues that they didn't just hear about. I do plan on lowering my car a bit and i live in ontario where we don't really get floods (maybe on rare occasion). If maybe some people could share their experiences of actually using intake kits and not just trashing them without ever using one. Appreciate all the feedback and opinions!

Last edited:

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Regardless of the increased air flow that these kits claim, the VW design will help get the engine up to operating temps. As we all know this can be a challenge when the weather gets cold. If you are commuting, you may want heat in the cabin as quickly as possible.

Consider what a colder engine will do for fuel economy as well.

Also, the research done showing that the filtering capabilities of the OEM filter can't be beat by a washable filter that you have to add oil to.

Your Mass Air Flow sensor will appreciate that the air is free of oil that can contaminate the sensor filaments causing running issues.

Any possible intake noise will probably be muffled by the piping and the Intercooler.

I would spend the money on a tune instead. You will really feel that in performance gains.

A mufflerectomy would be a good place to start if you want to hear the turbo.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I had a Focus that had an aftermarket CAI that terminated at the bottom of the bumper, I hydro locked it in a puddle. I think if it had an airbox it may have stopped the water. Doubt you will get your question answered here as far an opinion on which works best. Probably will have to make your best guess

Gurvir

TDI
2015 VW Jetta TDI 6 Speed
Regardless of the increased air flow that these kits claim, the VW design will help get the engine up to operating temps. As we all know this can be a challenge when the weather gets cold. If you are commuting, you may want heat in the cabin as quickly as possible.

Consider what a colder engine will do for fuel economy as well.

Also, the research done showing that the filtering capabilities of the OEM filter can't be beat by a washable filter that you have to add oil to.

Your Mass Air Flow sensor will appreciate that the air is free of oil that can contaminate the sensor filaments causing running issues.

Any possible intake noise will probably be muffled by the piping and the Intercooler.

I would spend the money on a tune instead. You will really feel that in performance gains.

A mufflerectomy would be a good place to start if you want to hear the turbo.

Yeah tbh I never thought about the warm up part in the winter, I love how quick it gets the heater going. It's my first diesel let alone first car i'm modifying. Will take that into consideration. Also the hydrolocking is the main issue and there arent alot of intake options either. I might as well start off with the deletes and tunes like you said while I learn more about the car. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I had a Focus that had an aftermarket CAI that terminated at the bottom of the bumper, I hydro locked it in a puddle. I think if it had an airbox it may have stopped the water. Doubt you will get your question answered here as far an opinion on which works best. Probably will have to make your best guess
Was your CAI something like this bit of Rain Man engineering? Notice the bumper mounts.

On my old A3 gasser, I went through a very large and deep puddle to where the water very briefly washed back and covered my head lights. I was completely shocked that the OEM intake system didn't fill up with water and hydrolock the engine. :cool:

What works best? The CAI that VW put on it from the factory.

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Was your CAI something like this bit of Rain Man engineering? Notice the bumper mounts.

On my old A3 gasser, I went through a very large and deep puddle to where the water very briefly washed back and covered my head lights. I was completely shocked that the OEM intake system didn't fill up with water and hydrolock the engine. :cool:

What works best? The CAI that VW put on it from the factory.
Not quite as fancy, the duck call probably could have saved me from the water. At least spark plugs are easy to remove

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Out of interests whats the inside of your airbox look like?

My 2.5's will be getting smoothed and adding a velocity stack which I notice new stuff gets.