www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old November 27th, 2016, 21:32   #1
16vjohn

Default Which TDI is "better" the EA189 or the EA288?

I've got one of each, and by laws the days are finally drawing near when it'll be time to send one back to VW. I've been reading about the differences for a year, but I'm still at an impasse. I was hoping for some input from the forums (ahem... Oilhammer ) to help me make my decision.

Balance shafts - I give this one to the EA288. The placement and design leads me to believe they will be more effective and reliable. Possibly easier to delete if necessary as they lack integration with the oil pump, unlike the EA189

Oil pump - I give this one to the EA189 for simplicity's sake. Variable anything from VAG has taught me to be cautious. That, and the RUBBER BELT IN OIL present on the EA288.... Vacuum and oil seems like a lot of work for that tiny belt to do for the "life" of the engine. Unless that "life" is at 62k and on the side of the road.

Water pump - Another one for the EA189 for simplicity as well. I can certainly see a 288 on the side of the road, overheated due to the damper getting stuck in the extended position. Worse, some EA288 cars don't even have a coolant temperature gauge.

Turbocharger - The EA189 in my Passat now has a warranty to 100k. The 288's ends at 60k with the "lubricated parts" warranty.

Oil filter and intercooler - Both engines have a water/air intercooler, so icing isn't an issue. However, the 189 in the Passat has an oil filter accessible from the top in a much more convenient place.

Fuel system - both use solenoid injectors and seem to be more resistant to failure compared to the piezo cousins.

Fuel Efficiency - My experience is that the EA288 is much easier to make it to big mileage. The 189 will do 48mpg, but it takes some work. The 288 will do it if I simply drive slower than 75mph. There's no doubt the 288 is more efficient.

In the end, I just see a lack of discussion and enthusiasm for the late model cars. And while they're no ALH, they sure are hard to replace with any other type of car on all the key points. I still love the cars for all the same reasons I bought them. But, one has to go.

Last edited by 16vjohn; November 27th, 2016 at 21:36.
16vjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 22:34   #2
Sunnyb
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 GSW

aah keep the newer engine and why is it better if you drive slower then 75?
Sunnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 22:45   #3
16vjohn

Fuel efficiency... zero issues breaking 50mpg if I drive 75 or less. Pretty amazing. Of course, Utah valley is pretty flat. It does get a little less if I leave the valley. The Passat is heavier, but it has a lower drag coefficient... so, I think it's apples to apples saying the EA288 is more efficient.
Old November 28th, 2016, 05:05   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I'd keep 'em both.

But to your point, it is really tough to evaluate the CVCA engine since it is JUST in the 2015s, and there really is not much track record on them.

The CKRA is a sort of mutt between the earlier CBEA/CJAA and the later CKRA. But again, not much of a track record on those either, as far as long term.

I think it is just as much the car it is bolted into (in your case) as the engine itself. Given the choice between an NCS Jetta and an NMS Passat, I'd take the Passat...regardless of engine.
Old November 28th, 2016, 07:44   #5
16vjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I'd keep 'em both.

This is the answer my wife doesn't want. Haha. I fully agree with you on the car, regardless of the engine. The Passat has better fluid capacities, more room, much more usable trunk and back seat, more features, and I think it looks better. I'm certainly inclined to keep both now that I know I won't be able to get a new one.
Old September 12th, 2018, 10:56   #6
Syncrogreg

I'm looking at it right now and was confused about that solenoid on the water pump for a minute.
I wonder if it s a clutch that disconnect when the engine is cold so water warms up quicker... And internally if it is pumping water if there is no juice of it's not connected ??

I think there was an explanatory diagram of the coolant from VW somewhere when cold and when warm.

Ciao!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16vjohn View Post
I've got one of each, and by laws the days are finally drawing near when it'll be time to send one back to VW. I've been reading about the differences for a year, but I'm still at an impasse. I was hoping for some input from the forums (ahem... Oilhammer ) to help me make my decision.

Balance shafts - I give this one to the EA288. The placement and design leads me to believe they will be more effective and reliable. Possibly easier to delete if necessary as they lack integration with the oil pump, unlike the EA189

Oil pump - I give this one to the EA189 for simplicity's sake. Variable anything from VAG has taught me to be cautious. That, and the RUBBER BELT IN OIL present on the EA288.... Vacuum and oil seems like a lot of work for that tiny belt to do for the "life" of the engine. Unless that "life" is at 62k and on the side of the road.

Water pump - Another one for the EA189 for simplicity as well. I can certainly see a 288 on the side of the road, overheated due to the damper getting stuck in the extended position. Worse, some EA288 cars don't even have a coolant temperature gauge.

Turbocharger - The EA189 in my Passat now has a warranty to 100k. The 288's ends at 60k with the "lubricated parts" warranty.

Oil filter and intercooler - Both engines have a water/air intercooler, so icing isn't an issue. However, the 189 in the Passat has an oil filter accessible from the top in a much more convenient place.

Fuel system - both use solenoid injectors and seem to be more resistant to failure compared to the piezo cousins.

Fuel Efficiency - My experience is that the EA288 is much easier to make it to big mileage. The 189 will do 48mpg, but it takes some work. The 288 will do it if I simply drive slower than 75mph. There's no doubt the 288 is more efficient.

In the end, I just see a lack of discussion and enthusiasm for the late model cars. And while they're no ALH, they sure are hard to replace with any other type of car on all the key points. I still love the cars for all the same reasons I bought them. But, one has to go.
Syncrogreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 11:13   #7
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

It is a duty cycled affair that changes how much volume the pump moves. On some engines, it is vacuum operated with a duty cycled solenoid. But on these, it is directly on the pump. Little collar moves to uncover the impeller vanes.
Old September 12th, 2018, 11:39   #8
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Since you have to get rid of one, I'd keep the Passat for the size and ride reasons you mentioned.
Old September 13th, 2018, 07:58   #9
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Gee, I'm sorry I pooped in your cheerios this morning.
Old September 13th, 2018, 11:55   #10
tdiinsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16vjohn View Post
Fuel efficiency... zero issues breaking 50mpg if I drive 75 or less. Pretty amazing. Of course, Utah valley is pretty flat. It does get a little less if I leave the valley. The Passat is heavier, but it has a lower drag coefficient... so, I think it's apples to apples saying the EA288 is more efficient.
I get better fuel economy than my wifes sportwagen, even when i was not tuned (aftermarket), so not sure i buy that argument. With the green diesel tune i easily surpass. That being said, but by TDI standards none of our cars are fully broken in i guess...her car with 20k miles and mine with 31k.

EDIT...i guess my point doesnt matter either. Oh well. Let this be a lesson, you can get great fuel efficiency out of the E189 and dont let anyone tell you any different!

Last edited by tdiinsc; September 13th, 2018 at 12:02.
tdiinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 20:13   #11
Rodmiser
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: sorry last tank 44.2 MPG

At 45,000 miles I'll have to wait and find out.
Old September 20th, 2018, 09:16   #12
CTD_Chevrolet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2015:46 Highway 26 City - 2002: 42 Highway 28 City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrogreg View Post
I think there was an explanatory diagram of the coolant from VW somewhere when cold and when warm.
Ciao!
http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/820433_EA288.pdf

Page 18-26ish here.
CTD_Chevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote