So, no 2016 GSW TDi in the United States? Why?

LongEz

TDI
None yet
This was mentioned in the other thread where others are waiting for their 2016s, but the implication was significant enough I decided to start a new thread, hoping somebody might have better information.

It was implied that 2016 GSW TDIs (diesel only) are being held in port and not released to the dealers due to some government concerns, specifically emissions as they might apply to PZEVs. This info came from one member only who referenced VWoA.

I wouldn't care so much, but I'm waiting for my car. I'd also chalk it up to rumor, but it is supported by the fact dealers across the country have 2016 GSW TSIs in stock, but not TDIs. Canada also does not seem to have this issue.

Does anybody have the straight story here? Anybody?

Thanks in advance,

LongEz

TDI
Mk VII Golf TDI, pending
Same here. Our 2016 Golf TDI was off the production line August 5th, and has not moved since. The silence from VW is deafening.

Our dealer also hints at an emissions issue, though I don't know if they are telling me something off the record or if this is speculation.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Not sure why TDI would be a PZEV here is definition : A partial zero emissions vehicle is a classification in the United States for a vehicle that has zero evaporative emissions from its fuel system. I could understand that they may not have some paper work or other problem with emissions control for the TDI. Are any 2016 TDI getting in?

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
When I ordered my 2012 it was at port and just got through the dealer said I was lucky as a recall came through the next day and all TDI's were being held at port until VW got the recall fixed I think it was an ecu upgrade.

Maybe same issue as that is VW policy from what I've been told. this is Canada too

TDI
Mk VII Golf TDI, pending
Just would like to know from where? Talked with a VW dealer today and they said they are being make in Mexico? with German parts.
Puebla, Mexico.

VW is an international company, with plants all over the world. They seem to have gotten to be very good at managing them.

You might be surprised where some of the BMWs at your local dealer were built!

LongEz

TDI
None yet
UPDATE

Our Golf TDI shipped on Friday.
I don't think shipping from Mexico is the issue at all here, it's the car the being released from the U.S. Port once it gets here.

I am surprised this isn't a bigger issue, after all this is a TDI forum. I will be following up with some calls to anybody I can think of Monday, and share the results here.

Cheers!

LongEz

TDI
Mk VII Golf TDI, pending
I don't think shipping from Mexico is the issue at all here, it's the car the being released from the U.S. Port once it gets here.

I am surprised this isn't a bigger issue, after all this is a TDI forum. I will be following up with some calls to anybody I can think of Monday, and share the results here.

Cheers!

LongEz
You are of course right about the possibility of it being held at port, however the dealer is confident that there will not be any further delay.

We will see.

Apparently this is not the first time that diesels have been held up at the model year change over.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Let us know when it arrives. I am interested in a 2016 GSW SEL but would like to see one before we proceed.

The 2016 TSI SELs are at the dealer... Only diff will be the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
The 2016 TSI SELs are at the dealer... Only diff will be the engine

Was there yesterday and they did not have one yet. We live out side the city area so are last to see anything new. Generally like to see and drive what I want to buy. No rush for us to buy so we will wait and see when they come in.

tuan209

TDI
11 Golf TDI
What kind of pricing are you guys getting on the 2016s? Thinking about placing an order this week for an SEL.

jph28

TDI
'12 JSW TDI 6MT
Our 2016 GSW TDI is allegedly scheduled to be released from port and delivered (to Charlotte NC) sometime this week. Can not wait!

LongEz

TDI
None yet
Interesting quotes on VW Vortex about our missing TDI's .

Some think it might be a recall issue, others are saying its EPA related.

Who knows?

LongEz

jph28

TDI
'12 JSW TDI 6MT
Our 2016 GSW TDI is allegedly scheduled to be released from port and delivered (to Charlotte NC) sometime this week. Can not wait!

Ugh, of course this has now been extended to "week of 9.14"... I'm not going to believe it until I see the damn thing :rolleyes:

jph28

TDI
'12 JSW TDI 6MT
Ugh, of course this has now been extended to "week of 9.14"... I'm not going to believe it until I see the damn thing :rolleyes:

And now week of 9.21 as of this morning... Starting to see a pattern here. VW could at least offer a loaner / rental to those of us that have been counting on delivery for a month+ now

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I spoke with the owner of our local dealer today, and he called the regional office. They confirmed there's a port hold on 2016 TDIs. I asked why and for how long, I'll post here if he gets any other info.

pandagolf

TDI
2016 GSW TDI SEL ordered
And now week of 9.21 as of this morning... Starting to see a pattern here. VW could at least offer a loaner / rental to those of us that have been counting on delivery for a month+ now

My ETA was pushed from 9/14 to 9/21 today as well...

2016 GSW TDI

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Wow, sounds serious to me. They performed an "emissions update" on mine a couple months ago when I took it in for the first free service. From the looks of this article there could be another emissions update in the works.

jph28

TDI
'12 JSW TDI 6MT
Well that explains why the 2016 TDIs were on permanent delay! We got fed up with the wait and are closing on a different German diesel wagon this evening actually

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Well that explains why the 2016 TDIs were on permanent delay! We got fed up with the wait and are closing on a different German diesel wagon this evening actually

Since the only option is the BMW, I'd say you made a nice upgrade!!!

I'm sad to think that 2016 models may be months away at this point.

username_in_use

TDI
GSW TDI...pending...

A mineral grey diesel wagon from a performance dealer in chapel hill by chance? I have been waiting form my '16 GSW TDI since April (shopping them since February). I have been cross shopping with other german brands since the information from the VW dealer trickled to a stop in June.