People, Time to Help Out a Forum Brother

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
OK, Natescape is stuck in Maine with Herm and it is suspected he has a major fuel contamination problem. Herm is at his wit’s end as far as what to do with the car and has sorted thru obvious problems but the car still will not run and does not appear to be getting fuel. The car was towed this morning to the dealer in Augusta (Nate just phoned me from there). They cannot look at the car ‘til tomorrow.

So, if anyone has any clever thoughts or suggestions, now is the time to step up, help, and get Nate back on the road. I am worried the dealer is just going to say the car needs a pump without really having the ability to diagnose internal problems.

I am going to see if I can locate a pump for a 96-97 Passat and look for an A3 Jetta TDi pump.

It appears this problem started last week when Nate emptied the contents of a 5-month-old barrel of BD in his car.

history

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
A name that comes to mind is MITBETA. I know he had some bio-diesel problems. Isn't cleanout of the entire fuel system required?

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
anybody have nate's cell number? is he up in maine at the moment and in need of a ride, or just help in getting the car running?

i have a feeling this could be the straw that breaks the natescape's back...

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Contact DieselGeek ASAP!!!!

Jim has an A4 pump and Mounting bracket adapter that makes an A4 pump Plug and PLAY!!!! I just installed this on my A3 AHU and let me tell you the install is a PIECE OF CAKE! I tried locating an A3 AHU pump and let me tell you this FO GET A BOUT IT!.

Tools needed are only those to do a cam adjustment. You won't even need to put the car on jacks! I do suggest a line wrench for the fuel lines.

The one tool you will need for R&R the mounting bracket is an 8mm allen socket!

Drop an email if you guys need any details on the install.

Once they get the kit, they can be up and running in 2 hours flat.

DB

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pete, the fuel was real old and has been sitting outside in a barrel since May....he dumped the remaining fuel in the car last week and it's all been down hill... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I found an A4 pump for $500 which doesn't sound like a steal but I don't have anything to compare it to.

The guy that sold me an ECU last week said he has a decent 2000 Jetta that runs so I'll contact him as well and see if he can help.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah, I know but no one listens to me... /images/graemlins/frown.gif we had "discussed" that in the past.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nate just phoned and said they have a used '03 wagon on the lot....RUH-ROH........

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
I just picked up a pump for $500. Seems to be the going rate for a used pump. Impex had 5 new about 2 weeks ago for around $900. Good luck. Been here and done that about three weeks ago. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks, guys, for the pump info. Nate is trying to figure out if he can do a deal with this TDi wagon at the dealer...it's getting pretty involved...

the dealer is trying to r*pe him on the trade with the logic that the pump is history yet no one really knows that. After all, he just drove the car to Maine.

Would his not-running 96 Passat be worth a couple of grand to someone?

Just trying to create some options for him... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

thx.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Have Nate give me a call at (310) 721-4867. I will discuss this with him and possibly offer him more than that dealer. I could even overnight him a cashier's check for a quick transaction. All depends on the condition and such on this B4 if you know what I mean. Later!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks, Len. I'll make certain he calls you when he gets back home. I don't think the dealer wants his car. They have "decided" it needs a pump without really even looking at it. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif...typical. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
I have a B4 pump sitting in my shed. I bought it for $350 or so a while back when I thought I had an issue. No issue, pump sits. I do not really want to part with it as I have 2 of these cars and I know my time will come, but, to help a brother out.... At least to swap out and see if that's the problem, I could be convinced.

BEC

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks for the offer. Nate's plans are taking shape as I type this note. Hopefully he won't need it.

riddei

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Storm Grey
I just left Herm a message at home. Don't know if there is anything I can do, but I live about a half hour south of Wit's End.

Has anyone called 1.800.VW.PARTS?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Riddei, they need to diagnose the problem...throwing parts, like an FI pump /images/graemlins/eek.gif, at this problem doesn't make sense. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I think they are going to make arrangements to get the car back to MA or CT where they can get into it.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
eric and i are working with nate to try and get the car down here and running. we have plans to go over the entire car and restore this beauty to her former glory. it IS a b4, after all. once we get her away from nate's bad mojo she'll be good as new. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

from there, nate will figure out what he's gonna do with it.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
tdipoet said:
we have plans to go over the entire car and restore this beauty to her former glory. it IS a b4, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
tdipoet said:

once we get her away from nate's bad mojo, she'll be good as new. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/eek.gif

riddei

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Storm Grey
[ QUOTE ]
tdipoet said:
eric and i are working with nate to try and get the car down here and running. we have plans to go over the entire car and restore this beauty to her former glory. it IS a b4, after all. once we get her away from nate's bad mojo she'll be good as new. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know if I can help in that endeavor. Has Herm given up? I would think he could get it going if anyone could /images/graemlins/confused.gif

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
riddei said:
Has Herm given up? I would think he could get it going if anyone could

[/ QUOTE ]

For sake of being practical, I think he threw the towel in.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
This is an interesting thread to read. I was at Herm's this morning when Nate's car was being taken away. He was pretty bummed, especially about the Biodiesel thing. Both he and Herm were convinced that the Biodiesel was responsible for Nate's problems.
I spent the remainder of the day with Herm and his wife getting my timing belt replaced along with having my intake manifold cleaned. Don't believe for a minute that Biodiesel will clean out the system. I've run B100 for the last 20,000 miles and after hearing and seeing what happend to Nate and Herm (they were up till 1:00am trying to get the car to run), along with looking at my own clogged intake, I'm going back to at least 80% dino-diesel.
I was very happy with the job Herm did and his prices are certainly VERY reasonable. I hope Nate and you other folks are able to resolve the Passat's problems and help Nate out selling the car. I guess it's time to cut back on the Biodiesel for awhile

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Soyboy, knowing that you are a heavy BD user, can you describe what you saw in your own intake that has you so conerned. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Dieseldorf,
I was awful!! The opening was reduced between 1/3 to 1/2 from the origional. Big chunks of carbonized fuel/crud that easily broke off when touched. I wished I'd had my camera, needless to say not a pretty sight. I put the intake manifold and valve in diesel for about 45 minutes then Herm and I drove down to the local carwash and used a pressure hose to clean them. Ugh! there was tons of black gooey and hard crud that came out. I suspect I gained HP just by allowing the air to get into the engine. Obviously I'm pretty disappointed to see this given all the hoopla surrounding Biodiesel's great attributes. I still like the concept, but as t President Reagan said the facts seem to indicate otherwise.