Coolant spraying in engine bay

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Disclaimer, this is a 2.0L gasser MK4 wagon. Tonight while on some errands my coolant light started blinking. I thought maybe a little pinhole leak had developed, no biggie, but then I smelled the coolant as I lifted the hood. A lot of wet under there with splashes of drops on the plastic engine cover and the area above the transmission really pretty soaked. It was too dark to see where it was coming from but I assumed a burst hose or something. The expansion tank was empty. I elected to try making the 10-minute drive home as it didn't look like anything was gushing/pouring out. As I pulled onto my street, steam was coming from under the hood and my temp gauge had just started to climb.
I will take a look in the morning but based on the location it seems it's the "crack pipe" on the side of the cylinder head. Do you TDI guys have these as well? And can they catastrophically fail like this with no warning? Did the O-ring possibly just blow out? I recall changing it when I first got the car back in around 2012, and I may have done it again 3 years later, so is it possible I'm due for another? 3 years isn't that great for a flange, granted it's plastic...Thanks in advance.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
What pipe is this? Where does it come from and to what is it connected?

There is a hard metal pipe that comes from the back of the ALH engine and pushes into the block at the water pump, but other than that, I don't know what the 'crack pipe' is except in regard to illegal and foolish activities, unrelated to cars.

Cheers,

PH