Radio Code Procedure

Johnny

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, TDI Wagon, in Silver Blue Metalic
Hello Everyone!
We have been driving our Passat for a week now with the EGR unhooked and the vac line plugged and the car has been running great. What a relief, none of that annoying smoke under acceleration and at gear change. Plus no lag in power, Just great!
We had a stange thing happen a few days ago on the way to work the other day though. The radio cut out and stayed off for about five munites or so and then came back on but of corse the SAFE message displayed on the led readout. I guess I bungled the reset procedure and I did it twice unfortunitely, and now the zeros don't come up anymore. I tried leaving the key in the ignition for a couple of hours with the radio turned off, no luck, I tried disconnecting the battery over night, still no luck.
We bought this car used and we got the code but not the procedure for reset. Hope you can help out. Thanks in advance!

swoosh_z

first start the radio, the SAFE word should appear on the screen.3 second later the number 1000 should also appear.
second, use the station button (1 to 4) to enter the code of your radio. For the "0" push the button until it comes to zero 0 and it is supposed to appear after the number 9.
third, push the right side of the seek button more than 2 seconds, you should ear a beep. If it is the right number, you should see LSM written on the screen. VOILA!!

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
If you messed up with entering the code 3 times i think, you have to wait a certain amount of minutes before it will let you try another 3 times I think. The times get longer and longer to a max of 120 minutes I think. (This is all from memory, but that's the general idea).

Johnny

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys, but as you can tell from my original posting, I have gone well past 120 minutes and the "0000" will not come back.
It was suggested by my local VW dealer to try the old indian trick of turning the radio on, put the key in the ignition, turn the radio off and leave the key in the ignition for an hour, but that didn't work either!

The_Hamster

i doubt this applies to the newer ones, but a select few of the older stock decks that took codes, would actually commit suicide if u entered the wrong code too many times. they would litterally cook themseleves and turn themselves into ~10lb dash-make-prettiers.

------------------
-Kurt
'85 Jetta Gas, work on '88 diesel occasionally

Johnny

Veteran Member
TDI
Man, I hope it's not cooked! Last night I took out the fuse for the radio,and will leave it out for a few days to see what happens. I noticed the alarm system still works, so the radio may still be getting some juice but I'll give it a try. Nothing else has worked.
This is a 1995 Passat by the way.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I dont know if this applies to you, but in my 97 Jetta, after the radio comes up with "SAFE" I have to press "Mode" and "Scan" at the same time and hold them for like 5 seconds, then the "0000" comes up.

------------------
1997 Jetta TDI
Upsolute Chip
K&N Filter
Descreened
Broken Timing Belt @ 72,800 (15,100 miles on belt)
New Cylinder Head

caddy@udnet.net

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Can't remember if it was my 89 Carat or my 94 Jetta, but on one of the radios if you screwed up entering the code a certain number of times the radio assumed it was stolen and locked up. The remedy was to ship it back to VWOA along with a sizable check to get it unlocked.

------------------
couple of Rabbits, a Golf and a Passat TDI

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Usually that is indicitive of the radio code being tried too many times. My manual says that you can try it 3 times, and then you must wait an hour. I believe mine did the same as yours did when I didnt have the code.

------------------
1997 Jetta TDI
Upsolute Chip
K&N Filter
Descreened
Broken Timing Belt @ 72,800 (15,100 miles on belt)
New Cylinder Head

caddy@udnet.net

Johnny

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I found out how it's done folks! I called the car audio dept. at Panasonic Canada, great bunch of guys there, and they told me you have to leave the radio on for an hour to try again, so thats what I did and it worked fine! It even came on to the same station we were listening to when it went out, remember I disconnected the battey over night. The guys at Panasonic offered to have a look at the radio if I bring the car over, they'll do it on the spot, take out the radio and fix a solder joint. Thanks for your help and maybe my experience will help someone else. Now if we could just get those dealers educated!?

valois

Banned
Great tidbit of info, thanks for following up and posting the solution, it will help someone else down the road.