Remove Rearview Mirror Mount Clip

JungleMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Hey all, I went to the junkyard today and picked up an Autodim mirror with compass from an oldsmobile Aurora.

I've tested the mirror and compass and they work fine, now I am wondering how I can safely remove the original mounting tab from my MK4 windshield. Any suggestions? Or should I play it safe and mount it to the right of the original tab?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I have heard a sledge hammer will work. Some solvents will remove them too. But first, try to slide a strong knife under it and pry it off. If you're carefull, it should pop off. As for replacing the other mirror in its place, Can Tire has a rear view mirror kit with a prep solution and some super strong glue.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
When i added a mirror, the old mount would not come off. Broke the windshield. They tried on a new one , no luck, so left it and installed mount next to it.

JungleMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Well, the mirror I have has three wires.

black/white - Ground
Red - +12V
Green - reverse light (turns autodim off when backing up)

I can get power and ground from the sunroof motor, and I'll have to run a wire to reverse light (Autodim can be turned off by a switch on the mirror, so I might not bother to install backup wire for now.)

JungleMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Hey Nigel, The sledge hammer worked!

I went to pull off the tab on the windshield and ....
let's just say a sledge hammer would of had the same outcome.

All's fair in V-DUB and war.

I'm out $180 on a new windshield, I'm looking forward to a non-pitted window. The downside is that the replacement already comes with the proper tab and they won't remove it, so I'll have to work around it this time.

DEFINITELY DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!

JungleMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Last edited:

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
ive replaced twice already, so im on my 3rd. original was cracked and fixed twice, then cracked more from the rearview mirror install. Then i got 2 big stone cracks, replaced again, and now this one has a nice crack from left to right.....So....i need a 4th. waiting for spring. The aftermarket is softer. The original is better. but for 180$, damn thats good.

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
TDIMAXIMA said:
When i added a mirror, the old mount would not come off. Broke the windshield. They tried on a new one , no luck, so left it and installed mount next to it.
Everything I've read about removing the mount said that it's much more likely to break the windshield than come off without damage... I wouldn't even bother attempting it.

kack

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2000 BMP
I got a windshield for a customer $240 installed in my garage.

Speed Gonzales Auto Glass
vans, cars, trucks, suv's, semi's and heavy equipment
free mobile service
insurance claims
lifetime guarantee

pedro gonzales 416.908.8526