700,000 miles_first post ever

TDI
1999 Jetta
First Post on TDI Club forum,

Hey Y'all, I have a 1999 VW Jetta TDI 1.9L. Its the first year VW changed up the body style for the Jetta. Life has brought me ups and downs with it, and today I have 356,000 miles on this bad boy. I listed below major items (and some not so important) to show I have replaced some major components already.

My main question is, what should I be on the lookout for and putting money away to replace some major parts? I'm worried about putting too much more into this Jetta only for it to crap out in the next 50K miles, with diesels costs for big repairs can add up quick making it to where you would be better off buying a new vehicle.....lets hope not!

1. Mobil 1 (5W-40) Change every 10K Miles; for me thats about every 4-5 MOnths. NOTE: From what I read if cold/heat not extreme its better for Jetta then the 0W-40.

2. Fuel Filter change every 20K miles (could this make it every 30K w/draining?)
3. Air Filter change every 20K miles (I inspect each time to see).

4. Cabin Filter change every 30k-50k miles (Its never that dirty)

5. Timing Belt w/ Water Pump (includes coolant change) change every 100K miles (Inspect for ware and tare and if it looks dang good, then I'll leave it up to 20K miles more).

6. Replaced 4x glow plugs @ 332K miles; Replace at 432K miles?

7. Replaced Front Lower Control Arms w/ball joints; Inner&Outer Tie Rods; Front&Rear Struts (& horn): Replaced @ 350K; 700k miles?

8. Replaced Clutch @290K miles and shift linkage @343K miles; should last to 700K miles?

9. Replaced Alternator @ 310K miles; should last to 500K miles?

10. Replaced Brake Booster & Lines @304K miles; Last to 500K miles?

11. Replaced Injection Pump & Set Timing @ 304K miles; Last to 500K miles?

12. Replaced with a lightly used turbocharger @304K miles; Last to 500K miles?

13. Replaced Thermostat, coolant temp sensor, fuel injector lines, crankcase vent valve, hazard switch relay, fuse holder & fuses; all replaced around 330K miles; Any others I should be aware of?

14. Replaced oil pan from stupid pothole @ 232K miles; should last as long as I don't go off-roading ;)

15. Had to replace antennas & speakers (just deteriorated), side mirror glass came off, collapsible cup holder, windshield wiper line, clutch cover, and and had to sand off and reapply coating for headlights to see out of them all in 2017.

I've used this forum for so many repairs and maintenance since 2009, its been a God-Send when you just don't have the $$$ to bring it in anywhere. Turns out going through college, you can't trade ramen noodles and cleaning up the shop as a trade for repairs. Thanks in advance for all comments! I'd love to just have some solid answers not only on part longevity, but also maintenance duration or brands to stick away from. I know some answers can't be exact, like the alternator will go out when it goes out and I'll know it, but i'd be curious on how long these should last. I buy most of my parts from Rock Auto or my local Advanced Auto.
THANKS! - Aaron (TN RidgeRunner)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Your experience with the 99 Jetta almost mirrors with my 2000, give or take a few miles on various things. My 2000 Jetta is approaching 370k miles and officially belongs to my son now.

Before I retired 10 years ago, I was rolling up 36k miles per year. So, I only changed the Fuel Filter once per year in late fall so it would be fresh for the winter. I've driven VW diesels since January, 1980 ..... about mid-summer, 1980, I quit draining the fuel filter looking for water..... messy job and a waste of time in my opinion.

If you didn't change the Flywheel at that clutch change, you'll be doing that job again as I doubt the DMF will last until 500k miles.

My guess is that part of the OE coolant is still in my engine. I only change the GP that's bad.

You need to change the transmission oil ...... 5th gear suffers with low oil and dirty oil.

Hope this is encouraging as well as helpful!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have the basics down, if you've gotten this far, but I have just a couple thoughts:

5. Going over 100K on the timing belt is playing russian roulette with your cylinder head, in my opinion - I tend to go between 5-10K short of that mark myself and play it safe.

6. I've only ever replaced glow plugs if they failed (read as open/infinite resistance on DMM), if they're not causing a GP code in the computer, why mess with them?

14. a skid plate might be a wise investment to prevent another oil pan job.

Other than that, keep on driving!

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
As the post above mentioned, going over the 100k timing belt interval is playing with the devil. IMHO you can’t just inspect the timing components by eye, and going and additional 20k over the recommended limit is dangerous. You could save money other ways by extending your oil and fuel filter changes, either way good luck.

Bajan

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Congrats on the high (normal, really) mileage for these engines!

That's a good list of things to replace and always keep up-to-date, time and miles wise.

I would extend engine air filter interval to 40K and stop peeking at it ;)

X2 on the transmission fluid change, if not already done.

With that many miles, you must do a good bit of highway running. Perhaps a new (and taller) 5th gear is in order? On my old '97 AHU with 315k miles, it didn't like going into 5th smoothly. Sometimes it even tried jumping out of it into neutral. Just something to think about it if you still do a lot of highway running. Easy to swap 5th.

Might soon be time for new wheel bearings, so keep an ear perked for any signs they might start failing.

How are the front CV joints and boots?

When was the last time you replaced vacuum lines?

Thought about a power steering flush?

No guarantee on "lightly used turbos," as it can grenade at any point for any reason. Fingers crossed though...

Again congrats and keep up the good work, it seems to be paying off.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Although I agree with being punctual about the TB change interval at 100k miles, I've seen numerous TBs go way beyond the suggested interval. Saw many of them from 119k to 149k miles solidly documented. And, I know of one that broke at 152k miles.

However, what concerns me most about the TB and it's components are the components, particularly the Water Pump. I experienced WP failure at just over 50k miles into a new complete TB change May, 2017 (I cannot remember if it was a Hepa or Geba pump). Fortunately, the TB did not skip time but it was badly damaged.

So, as others have suggested, look at something else for extending the service cycle. A solid well functioning TB assembly and all of its components are the heart of your engine.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
1. Oil - I used rotella the whole time, every 10, never had any issue and its the cheapest...

2. Fuel Filter change - same as above, you rarely get water... i think i would change once a year (40k)

3. Air Filter change every 20K miles (I inspect each time to see). - yep

4. Cabin Filter change every 30k-50k miles - I changed more often than my air filter, but i have allergies and spend a ton of time in the car. Just because you dont see stuff like air filter doesnt mean it shouldnt be replaced.

5. Timing Belt w/ Water Pump - as other said this is the granddaddy of all things, i never pushed it, no reason to. who cares if you get an extra 20k miles.. risk vs reward

6. Replaced 4x glow plugs @ 332K miles; Replace at 432K miles? no need unless you are getting code thrown, especially in our area

7. Replaced Front Lower Control Arms w/ball joints; Inner&Outer Tie Rods; Front&Rear Struts (& horn): Replaced @ 350K; 700k miles? I would, suspension is not something to screw around on two lanes roads with, plus it makes the car feel so good!

8. Replaced Clutch @290K miles and shift linkage @343K miles; should last to 700K miles? if you went with single mass i would think that is fair...

9. Replaced Alternator @ 310K miles; should last to 500K miles? yes, rare to have failures

10. Replaced Brake Booster & Lines @304K miles; Last to 500K miles? yes and not that big of an expense

11. Replaced Injection Pump & Set Timing @ 304K miles; Last to 500K miles? yes

12. Replaced with a lightly used turbocharger @304K miles; Last to 500K miles? yes

13. Replaced Thermostat, coolant temp sensor, fuel injector lines, crankcase vent valve, hazard switch relay, fuse holder & fuses; all replaced around 330K miles; Any others I should be aware of? should but again not really big expenses

14. Replaced oil pan from stupid pothole @ 232K miles; should last as long as I don't go off-roading - oil pan is worth it and im sure you can find a used one

15. Had to replace antennas & speakers (just deteriorated), side mirror glass came off, collapsible cup holder, windshield wiper line, clutch cover, and and had to sand off and reapply coating for headlights to see out of them all in 2017.

I loved my a4's and know they would have gone hundreds of thousands of more miles... but wrecked the first one and had to give up the second because my wife literally couldnt get in the front seat when we tested out newborn car seats...

I was also lucky to get to park in a garage every night, i never had th electrical gremlins some have had with wet/ moisture prone areas...

TDI
1999 Jetta
Your experience with the 99 Jetta almost mirrors with my 2000, give or take a few miles on various things. My 2000 Jetta is approaching 370k miles and officially belongs to my son now.

Before I retired 10 years ago, I was rolling up 36k miles per year. So, I only changed the Fuel Filter once per year in late fall so it would be fresh for the winter. I've driven VW diesels since January, 1980 ..... about mid-summer, 1980, I quit draining the fuel filter looking for water..... messy job and a waste of time in my opinion.

If you didn't change the Flywheel at that clutch change, you'll be doing that job again as I doubt the DMF will last until 500k miles.

My guess is that part of the OE coolant is still in my engine. I only change the GP that's bad.

You need to change the transmission oil ...... 5th gear suffers with low oil and dirty oil.

Hope this is encouraging as well as helpful!

thanks for the advice i'll have to call up the company and check, because that'd be a super disappointing day to find out it went out a third time.

I knew i left something out. how often should you change out the transmission oil, i googled and it said 30k-60k.....but this is a sealed transmission (since there isn't a dip stick), so i'm guessing its the lifetime one changed at every 100K miles.

Last edited:
TDI
1999 Jetta
As the post above mentioned, going over the 100k timing belt interval is playing with the devil. IMHO you can’t just inspect the timing components by eye, and going and additional 20k over the recommended limit is dangerous. You could save money other ways by extending your oil and fuel filter changes, either way good luck.

Bajan
ya you are correct, i'll probably move that to 90K, the 120K was what the tech recommended at the VW shop. i know the price for replacing all the components vs the savings on that 20K miles is not even close.....so why risk it.

jasantos40

TDI
g4 tdi
If you to spend time and money on the car I would start to check the turbo, can bring you a lot of problems. Also a compression test would be nice too check if any cylinder is giving up.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
One thing I don't see listed as replaced, and that I would definitely replace:

injector nozzle tips!

You'd be surprised how smooth a TDI can feel, how much power and fuel economy you can regain by replacing worn out nozzles.

I did my first set at 298K miles and saw a huge improvement, especially at WOT.