www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 19th, 2018, 11:42   #631
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red16vdub View Post
Not trying to burst your bubble, but the Passat has a bigger fuel tank. So 900/1000 miles is not record breaking.

Bajan

I know the Passat has an 18.5 gallon tank, but it still is impressive to me. I will be really impressed with a 1,000 mile tank because it is a large car with all kinds of emission stuff on it.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2018, 17:38   #632
SkiBumJH

If others are consistently passing you, then it's the right lane only for you. Don't ask others to pass you on the right. Staying in the middle lane is not ok. You're just a rolling roadblock.

Florida drivers are consistently unskilled and self-centered. The rules of the road are as old as the road itself.

Keep right except when passing. Period.

Safety on todays major highways has nothing to do with the speed limit. It is about smooth fluid dynamics and predictability in actions.

Not milking the tank. Get the lead out.
SkiBumJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 18:01   #633
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumJH View Post
If others are consistently passing you, then it's the right lane only for you. Don't ask others to pass you on the right. Staying in the middle lane is not ok. You're just a rolling roadblock.

Florida drivers are consistently unskilled and self-centered. The rules of the road are as old as the road itself.

Keep right except when passing. Period.

Safety on todays major highways has nothing to do with the speed limit. It is about smooth fluid dynamics and predictability in actions.

Not milking the tank. Get the lead out.

I guess reading isn't your strong point, because I said I was in the SLOW lane the whole time.

I'll agree the speed limit doesn't really matter anymore, unless a cop is around. Keeping traffic going smoothly is the most important factor nowadays. I'll disagree with the keep right, period comment. If there isn't much traffic, then I think it is fine to stay in the left passing lane, but the moment you look in your rear-view mirror and see a car coming up fast, then you need to move over immediately. If you don't, then you are part of the problem.

Unfortunately in FL, we will never see that happen in our lifetime. Too many people that 'obey' the speed limit, too many tourist, too many construction areas, too many idiots on their phones, and too much congestion. The people who 'obey' the speed limit are the biggest problem because they will not move over whatsoever because in their mind they aren't doing anything illegal, because they don't know they have to move over for the upcoming, faster vehicle no matter if they are going the limit already. People that are on their phone are a big problem now too. They tend to get in the left passing lane, because they think they are less at risk of causing an issue. They know no one can pass them on the left and don't have to worry about on-coming traffic like they do in the right lane.

Back on topic, I will hopefully be able to get a attempt to get a 1k mile tank again. Girls are done with swim lessons, but my oldest starts school next Friday. It's going to be tough to do, but hopefully I can get at least a 900 mile tank.

Last edited by Smashed Ixnay; July 31st, 2018 at 18:20.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 07:21   #634
JerryPT
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/43/47

"The people who 'obey' the speed limit are the biggest problem..."

An example of the tyranny of the majority. Correctly stated: The people who don't obey the speed limit are the biggest problem. Slow down. Save fuel and lives.
Old August 1st, 2018, 08:37   #635
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Or stated another way - we’re all the problem. Neither is right or wrong, we need to figure out how to play nicely with each other.

Be curtious and respectful of one another and we can both travel down the same road together with minimal stress.

When either side starts getting selfish or entitled, the rationalization and whining starts about the relative positions.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 11:13   #636
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I've seen the traffic studies and a university even made a nice animation based off the traffic from a major LA freeway. The gist was ONE driver going slower (and ironically the posted limit) caused massive traffic jams. They modeled the same traffic volume without the one slow driver and there were no traffic jams.

Also I remember my CHP training video from driver's ed - this topic was brought up and roll played. Driver complained "but I'm doing the speed limit". The training officer said you can actually get a ticket for impeding traffic, best to speed up a little and "go with the flow"

I wonder how many southern states would give you that advise, rather than give you a ticket for 1mph over?

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 14:44   #637
rennsportmotorrad

Fuel Economy: 48.5

I know what I'm about to say is going to be very unpopular but here goes----I too live in Florida, and I love to see my fuel economy go higher & higher, I am getting 48.9 mph on my 2004 Jetta 5 speed wagon, and I think that is outstanding,would I like better sure I would BUT I am not willing to become a hazard to myself & the other people on the road. I normally drive right at the speed limit no more then 5 over that keeps the cops away--BUT driving @ 50 mph in a 70 mph zone is nothing but rude and obnoxious. Here in Florida it seems that everyone on I-95 thinks that is the speed limit instead of the Hwy #. But here it is illegal to drive in the left lane and hold up traffic--not that the police ever enforce that but never the less it is---But please if you want to drive slower then I go on a bicycle then for God's sake please stay out of Florida--here you are going to die-and you may take others with you.
rennsportmotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 16:07   #638
deejaaa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: JETTA IS FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennsportmotorrad View Post
I know what I'm about to say is going to be very unpopular but here goes----I too live in Florida, and I love to see my fuel economy go higher & higher, I am getting 48.9 mph on my 2004 Jetta 5 speed wagon, and I think that is outstanding,would I like better sure I would BUT I am not willing to become a hazard to myself & the other people on the road. I normally drive right at the speed limit no more then 5 over that keeps the cops away--BUT driving @ 50 mph in a 70 mph zone is nothing but rude and obnoxious. Here in Florida it seems that everyone on I-95 thinks that is the speed limit instead of the Hwy #. But here it is illegal to drive in the left lane and hold up traffic--not that the police ever enforce that but never the less it is---But please if you want to drive slower then I go on a bicycle then for God's sake please stay out of Florida--here you are going to die-and you may take others with you.
sounds good to me!
i drove 1 tankful to push mpg to 62, once. the stress from that tank, going 55, forced me to never do that again, that was on a 3 lane freeway.