Modifications

Kchorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I think this will be fun so see so far what we have done and what we are planningn to do.
Please name all your modification (small/big/any) you have done and planning to do in your new 2012 Passat..

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT, 2006 Jeep Rubicon 6MT & 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
One simplest mod I wanted to do was change the tires. If that is even considered a mod.
I wanted to go 225/55/17 on OEM rims. Can it be done? Does anyone know what is the width of the 17" rims?

BTW the stock size tires are 215/55/17.

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
215/55-17 4.7in 13.2in 26.3in 82.7in 767 0.0%
225/55-17 4.9in 13.4in 26.7in 84.0in 754 1.6%

Based on this and what I have seen on the discounttire.com I am not too worried about the diameter of the tire. 1.6% is not a giant difference. From what I have seen that kind of difference is already built into our speedometers (Look at the error thread)

My biggest worry is would a 225 size tire fit right on the rim if as per the above post the width is 7". I might call tirerack or some other place and find out.

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
Found my answer looks like Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires that I am looking at in the size 225/55-17 would fit just fine. They require rim width of 6"-8" so that would be perfect.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
the tirerack now has listings for various wheel sizes up to 20 inch for that car.

The also have a listing for H&R springs and someones (probably H&R?)'s coilover kit.

Anything else kicking around?

Passat2012tdi

TDI
2012 passat tdi sel
20 x 8 OZ superleggera HLT wheels with 245/35/20 continental dws tires...from tire rack.
35% window tint all around...
Ordering H&R coilover kit from the tire rack ( install in the spring)

2012 vw passat tdi sel platinum gray ext/ black int.

Last edited:

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
20x 8 OZ superleggera HLT wheels with 245/35/20 continental dws tires...from tire rack.
30% window tint all around...
Ordering H&R coilover kit from the tire rack ( install in the spring)

2012 vw passat tdi sel platinum gray ext/ black int.
the 20s will look amazing on that car. Too bad the roads are too rough to handle rims that big...

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Have to chuckle at peeps with mega rim sizes and very little rubber on 'em. Good luck keeping them straight. Often thought a rim straightening shop would make for a great part time biz.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Getting VCDS in a few days (Merry Christmas to MEEEE!!). I'm most interested in monitoring the soot build-up in the DPF.

I haven't checked yet if my remote fob is enabled to open the window/sunroof remotely. This is very convenient when it's extremely hot and the car has been parked outside.

I'm also going to enable the rain-sensing wipers, as someone here said all Passats come with the sensor (I read it here, so it must be true:D)

Any other "hidden" tricks I can do with the VCDS?

Kchorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Look for T10 LED on eBay or amazon.com
Other non LED option are the PIAA T10/wedge 168 extreme white.

I have changed all my bulbs inside to LED. Every single one even trunk with the same LED T10.

I used these ones for the dome lights in front and rear. No error whatsoever on dash.
http://www.amazon.com/194-Wedege-SMD...5116003&sr=1-4

I used these ones for the trunk, foot, doors. No error whatsoever on dash..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300444920100...ht_3714wt_1057

I ordered extra bulb housing with its connector from a local VW dealer to install an extra light on the trunk on the driver side of the trunk as it is from the factory on the passenger side so I will have an extra light with LED bulb on the trunk because I think we need more light on that area of the car.

On the outside I have changed all bulbs to PIAA intensive white. (All bought at amazon.com)

Low, high (H7), fog (H8) changed for PIAA intensive white.
DRL (T20) changed for PIAA intensive white. Looks like LED
Yellow parking/turning bulb changed to PIAA intensive white (T20)... Looks like LED love it !
Rear License plate changed to PIAA T10/wedge 168 extreme white. looks like LED too.

I did not used LED on rear plate due to having error light on dashboard and with the PIAA bulbs is look like LED with no error in dashboard.
I tried many LED on rear plate but have error on dashboard so I decided to go for the PIAA since it's giving me same look of the LED.

Also on headlights I'm not longer have the ugly yellow lights on middle of the front of the car. Now it looks like LED very white and when using the turning lights the white lights flash.. Also when I used the euro switch to turn headlights and just have fog lights running with parking lights,it looks great in front because fog and white parking lights looks alike so the only yellow lights in front the car are the one in the corner of each headlights (parking lights)..
I spent so far $200 in all of the bulbs.

Other mod done so far are:

Euro switch VW OEM
VW OEM B6 door sill
VW OEM VW sport pedal
VW 18 Bristol VW OEM wheels w/tire as full size spare.
VW OEM bag holders (2)
DVD in motion on the RNS-510
Fog lights stays on with high beam
Auto Rain windows/ sun roof closure
Auto rain wipers activated

If you guys wish I can provide link from amazon.com where I bought the PIAA bulbs and other Accesories installed above.

What to see how my passat looks like it.. Send me a PM with your email or cellphone so I can text them or email them..
Looking forward to hear your thoughts..

Regards,
Kchorro

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
Looking forward to hear your thoughts...
White bulbs for front turn signals increase the amount of time that someone else needs to observe you car before realizing that you're signalling - not the safest mod to make.
(You'd think by now somebody would be manufacturing a dual-filament bulb LED replacement that's white on low intensity and amber on high intensity, for the very common white-lens amber-bulb front "park"/turn light combination. I've never seen one, but perhaps they do exist?)

Since you've looked closely at your lights: Do the (outer) tail lights' white lens sections have an empty or blanked-over bulb location that one might use to implement amber rear turn signals?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I agree. I'm a big fan of amber turn lights, especially tails, as with many cars, in traffic, it's almost impossible to see a turn signal unless you're staring at it...

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
has anyone switched out their DRLs with LED bulbs? or will it cause an error? i used bulbs like this on my bike.

i agree 100% on the amber turn signals.

Last edited:

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Look for T10 LED on eBay or amazon.com
Other non LED option are the PIAA T10/wedge 168 extreme white.

I have changed all my bulbs inside to LED. Every single one even trunk with the same LED T10.

I used these ones for the dome lights in front and rear. No error whatsoever on dash.
http://www.amazon.com/194-Wedege-SMD...5116003&sr=1-4

I used these ones for the trunk, foot, doors. No error whatsoever on dash..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300444920100...ht_3714wt_1057

I ordered extra bulb housing with its connector from a local VW dealer to install an extra light on the trunk on the driver side of the trunk as it is from the factory on the passenger side so I will have an extra light with LED bulb on the trunk because I think we need more light on that area of the car.

On the outside I have changed all bulbs to PIAA intensive white. (All bought at amazon.com)

Low, high (H7), fog (H8) changed for PIAA intensive white.
DRL (T20) changed for PIAA intensive white. Looks like LED
Yellow parking/turning bulb changed to PIAA intensive white (T20)... Looks like LED love it !
Rear License plate changed to PIAA T10/wedge 168 extreme white. looks like LED too.

I did not used LED on rear plate due to having error light on dashboard and with the PIAA bulbs is look like LED with no error in dashboard.
I tried many LED on rear plate but have error on dashboard so I decided to go for the PIAA since it's giving me same look of the LED.

Also on headlights I'm not longer have the ugly yellow lights on middle of the front of the car. Now it looks like LED very white and when using the turning lights the white lights flash.. Also when I used the euro switch to turn headlights and just have fog lights running with parking lights,it looks great in front because fog and white parking lights looks alike so the only yellow lights in front the car are the one in the corner of each headlights (parking lights)..
I spent so far $200 in all of the bulbs.

Other mod done so far are:

Euro switch VW OEM
VW OEM B6 door sill
VW OEM VW sport pedal
VW 18 Bristol VW OEM wheels w/tire as full size spare.
VW OEM bag holders (2)
DVD in motion on the RNS-510
Fog lights stays on with high beam
Auto Rain windows/ sun roof closure
Auto rain wipers activated

If you guys wish I can provide link from amazon.com where I bought the PIAA bulbs and other Accesories installed above.

What to see how my passat looks like it.. Send me a PM with your email or cellphone so I can text them or email them..
Looking forward to hear your thoughts..

Regards,
Kchorro
Trunk LED's are brilliant idea, KChorro, mad props to you for that one.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
has anyone switched out their DRLs with LED bulbs? or will it cause an error? i used bulbs like this on my bike.

i agree 100% on the amber turn signals.
I've seriously considered it, just haven't found one that others have used on ebay that they are happy with the brightness on. What type of base is on your motorcycle?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Papachristou, we'll be trying those LEDs in the DRLs, along with Kchorro's LED trunk light mod. :D In poking around in VCDS, I believe there's a check box for LED DRLs so the computer won't throw a lamp-out code... there's also the same check box for LED license plate lights. Jason thinks it just turns off monitoring for those circuits, so if your LEDs fail, you still won't get a lamp out code.

Current mods are XE+ 4300K HIDs, Chinese OE LED tail lights, VCDS goodies.